The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Handguns, Pistols and SixGuns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

.45 gap????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .45 gap????
    Posted: 22 December 2005 at 15:31
Never having been a proponent of small guns in large calibers, I carry full sized pistols and revolvers. Basically, at any time, I may be pacing a 1911 full size, a P-226 SIG, or the trusty model 66 S7W. My .357 is kept loaded with Factory silver tips, and the others contain standard ball ammo. I don't feel the need for tiny handguns, unless.........they are collectibles...................Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
dfletcher View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 15:19
I think the GAP was designed to provide a smaller grip and more compact gun in the ejector, extractor area of the gun - basically the area on a 1911 between the breech face & firing pin stop.  I suppose it can give you a slightly smaller gun and best suited for concealed carry.  An AMT Back Up in 45 GAP would be more compact than 45 ACP.  I don't see it being of any real value in a regular sized gun.
Igbo Foo View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
.14 Flea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igbo Foo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 10:56

Fella's;

Yup, I think the GAP may have a very short life.  I can't tell you how that bothers me - - - - 'cause it doesn't.

Foo

Wombat Snorgging: Australia's mystery perversion, Elvis's secret shame.
NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NH_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 09:20
It is run at .45 ACP +P pressures to do the same thing as the old .45 ACP, but fitting in the 9mm/.40 S&W grip frame. What is suprising, is that Springfield Armory, who's XD pistol was one of the first in .45 GAP, is now chambered in .45 ACP without a discernable difference in grip size. Sounds to me like the .45 GAP is failing.
Leverguns make me smile
Proud Left Handed Shooter
Triggerguard View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

aka The San Antonio Terminator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triggerguard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 00:56

I think the purpose was to enable Glock to sell more pistols!

The shorter cartridge supposedly lets them fit a double stack in a slightly smaller grip frame. The .45 GAP has pretty much identical ballistics to the .45 ACP. I don't have one, a have no plans to get one. In the final analysis, I think the .45 GAP is a solution searching for a problem.

"...A moral compass needs a butt end.Whatever direction France is pointing-towards collaboration with Nazis, accomodation with communists,...we can go the other way with a quiet conscience"-O'Rourke
crazy2medic View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy2medic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2005 at 00:06
can somebody please explain to me the point or purpose of the .45 gap round? ok i know it's shorter than the .45acp which to me means less powder ie less recoil and the inevitable less power!, it's still .45 in diameter so no gain in the # of rounds! just seems like a solution for a nonexistant problem! i'll keep my paraord in .45acp 230 hydroshoks, 15 on tap thank you very much!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic