The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Bowhunting and Archery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Mechanical heads???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mechanical heads???
    Posted: 01 October 2005 at 15:22

Are they any good???

BEAR

ratsnest View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ratsnest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2005 at 12:42

I can't beleave no one has posted this usely a very hot topic. its a can of worms that always gets heated.

lifes only fair if you make it

no matter how bad the situation find some to enjoy about it
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2005 at 12:50

I have a set of three in my quiver. They are  back-ups to my fixed blades. I've never shot at a deer with them. The few times I shot at my target they looked like they opened up but I still don't trust em enough to be my "first line" arrows.

DD

Endeavor to persevere.
mtmiller View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2005 at 05:44
I just went to them this year.  I like that way they fly and are consistant will my field points.  I have only taken a 'lope with them so far, but they worked well on him.
Havre, MT
varmintcaller View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 07:19
Illegal in Idaho
Molon Labe "Come take Them"

waksupi View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Keeper of the Old Traditions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waksupi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2006 at 18:18
Not dependable. run away.
Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2006 at 02:49

When I posted this I thought I'd get more action going.  but the thread went dead.  I have been hunting them exclusively for about 6 years.  I've killed 12 bg animals with them, including whitetail, mule, and 'lope.  they work well for me.  never had any failures.  And the larger "hole" really does kill much better.  I have hunted with lots of fixed blades, most the ancient Bear Razorheads (still use them--tradition?).  But I have come to the conclusion the mechanicals are clearly better.  True, they are more expensive, but how many does a person use a year, three!  The ones I use are $34 for a 3-pak.  Small $$$$ when I think of the gas I burn scouting deer.

BEAR

Nice to see you posting Varmint Caller.

waksupi View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Keeper of the Old Traditions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waksupi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2006 at 18:51
I'd get some cow ribs to try shooting through. I have friends who have tried them on elk, and they were not good medicine. I've used Bear razor heads, and Zwickeys for years. Tune your bow to shoot a good head, and stick with it. Gimmicks will eventually fail you.
Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2006 at 05:07

Waksupi, never used them on an elk nor a moose.  The BearRazorheads have always been good for me, except a shoulder ball-joint shot that the arrow head just stuck in the ball and never broke anything, on a whitetail.

Nothing will make up for a poor shoot.  But on antelope and deer, I've had clear shoot thru and 12 one shot kills.  My brothers started using them, and I followed reluctantly, just to be able to utilize one arrow for all three of us on long remote trips.  My one brother neck shot an 'lope at about 22 yards and it broke the neck and protruded about 5 inches out the other side.  The chisel points on the main point section  are awesome bone breakers.

I think most points manufactured today are good if placement is right.

BEAR

soggyshooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggyshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 14:22
Not legal in Washington. I'll stick with the Zwicky's and my Bear Grizzly.
Pedro View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pedro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2006 at 10:00
I've never lost a whitetail with one. I can't say that for fixed heads. I did lose the one elk I shot with one. I'm not sure the result would have been different with a fixed head.
They do give amazing confidence on longer shots because they shoot so much straighter.
Pedro
New Orleans, LA
OkieHunter View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OkieHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2006 at 14:28
I guess they are ok but I just don't like them, I like a cut on contact head and have shot Zwickey eskimos with bleeders for years and have taken Elk and well as Whitetail with them.
Old Age and Treachery Will alway's Overcome Youth and Skill
The_Mountaineer View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** West BY-GOD Virginian! **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Mountaineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 02:21

BEAR

I'm kinda surprised you didn't get more reaction out of this thread.  I know several folks who love them.  Me, not just yet.  I've been shooting some 3 blade muzzy 125 gr. broadheads for about 7 years and they have worked on deer, turkey, boar and similar critters without incident.  However, I became a little disappointed the other day on the range when I found that some of the ferrules were bent so I'm considering switching and the mechanicals are getting a hard look for next year.

The most impressive thing to me is the wide cutting diameter.  I don't know but the cutting diameter of the fixed blade broadheads seems to be getting smaller and smaller.  I like big gaping holes in critters I've stuck with an arrow and 2 inch cutting diameters are something that is more common with mechanical broadheads than fixed blades.  I worry about them not opening but I think most folks are finding that the issue, for most manufacturers, is on the resolved side of things.

I'll probably look over the archery catalogs some more in the post season months ahead and try and find one that I like and gobble a couple up on end-of-season sales (if there are any) and use them for archery season 2007.

Here's a pretty good site for you to look at various broadhead tests.  The good stuff is subscription only but you can get an idea on the featured broadheads listed.

http://www.broadheadtests.com/

Paritur pax bello - Peace is obtained by war.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2006 at 03:42

Mountaineer,  I'd have thought we would have had a good bit more comments also.

If you are changing some advantages of the mechanical heads are:

Higher velocity at target.

Lower profile thru brush, I hunt heavy woods.

Large cutting diameter, you can actually see the hole on impact and I've watched large quantities of blood coming out the in-side within a second of impact.

They shoot to the point of impact with your target arrows, so much easier to practice and sight-in.  No need to change your sight back and forth.  (I actually use to have two identical sights, one for broadheads and one for targets and would change the bracket back-and -forth).

I use Rocket Sidewinder-3 (100 grains 1 1/2" cut).  Never had a failure on game or targets.  I always use a string tracker and the combo also works perfectly.  Closest shot has been 5 yards, longest was 53 yards (Unusual for me, but I was in Wyoming) .

I have always shot thru on game, and I have noticed that the blades do swing back sometimes on impact after they are thru the target in wood or hard ground.

BEAR

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2006 at 06:38

after typing the above, I went to my tree stand and 3 hours later shot a 130# doe at 20 yards.  I was about 1 1/2 inches too far forward and hit the front left "shoulder/arm joint.  Mechanical head worked perfect, broke the bone and penetrated into the lung.  Deer ran 23 yards when hit and died.

My string tracker also worked good but the arrow broke at the deer jumped headlong into a multi floral rose jungle.

Steaks are getting butchered and frozen now.

BEAR

The_Mountaineer View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** West BY-GOD Virginian! **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Mountaineer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2006 at 10:23
Congratulations Bear!

Sounds like you don't need any convincing on the mechanicals! Add some
pics of the kill if you happen to have any.

BTW, what kind do of mechanicals you use?

Glad to hear somebody's sticking some deer with arrows, I still have about a
week and some days before I can get after them!
Paritur pax bello - Peace is obtained by war.
Gube View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2007 at 10:02
Used a lot of different broadheads since 1986. I tried expandables for a few years with mixed results. Flight was great, but blades and ferrules sometimes broke. Stopped using them when I lost a 4 pt elk using a 3 blade spitfire. The blades never opened up. I hit this elk in early sept and the local butcher in the area shot it with his rifle in Nov. He said it had a collapsed lung and was quite sick. I have been using the 100 gr muzzy 4 blade for the past 4 years with good results. Did some tests with the 100 gr slick tricks and will be trying them out this season.
Savage Vaporizer
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2007 at 12:22
  They fly good,I use Jackhammers with the crossbow and so far so good, I shot a deer with a Rocket forgot the model,pure junk never opened,tracked that deer forever till it expired. With my compond I always use Muzzy's for me they will always be the best. I'd shoot them with the crossbow but it just won't group the way I like with any fixed blade broadhead.
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic