The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Handguns, Pistols and SixGuns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

.22 Pistols

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NH_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .22 Pistols
    Posted: 16 July 2005 at 10:12
Ok, I figured I wanted to get something along the lines of a Springfield XD 9mm or a Ruger P95, but after going pistol shooting today, I have found that my accuracy is aweful. I need a .22 handgun so I can get a lot of practice with cheap ammo. I don't want a Ruger, since the mk2 is not like any centerfire pistol. I am thinking maybe about the Walther P22 or a Sig Sauer Mosquito. Now, don't suggest a 1911 with a .22 kit because I shot a Colt Gold Match Cup today and didn't like how it felt. Also had a jam which was kind of un-nerving. But anyways, what are your thoughts?
Leverguns make me smile
Proud Left Handed Shooter
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 11:32

NH;

Ruger makes a dedicated .22 rimfire semi-auto with the grip angle of the 1911.  I think it's called a 22/45 or something like that.  In any case it's the proven Ruger MKII action on a polymer frame with different ergonomics than the standard MKII. 

It doesn't matter that its grip is the same as the 1911 pattern pistols, since the 1911's can be had in 9mm, .40, or .45.  Or other variants such as the .400 Cor-Bon, .357 SIG, or who knows what else.  You'll be able to find something to like regardless of whether or not the .45ACP appeals to you or not.

Or go completely off the rails & get a Browning Buckmark.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
bkcorris View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Cheesehead Savage

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkcorris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 11:41
What do you consider aweful? I think most people have a hard time being very accurate with an open sighted short handgun, but I may be wrong. I got a P89 for the slightly longer barrel, it may help accuracy a tad, or the extra weight might make it worse, plus it's 4.5" barrel makes it legal to have in the wods around here. Not that it would actually be used for deer, but it would be illegal to have a shorter one out during season. Also, how did you compare to the other shooters, maybe its more the guns than the shooter.

Stupid people are like a slinky, they don't serve much purpose in the world but they sure are fun to watch tumble down the stairs!
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 12:24

Nothing wrong with the guns you are looking at but if you are looking for something accurate the P-22 isn't it. I've shot a bunch of P-22 and owned a P-40 for awhile but dumped it because of the poor accuracy. I've been looking at the Sig pretty hard myself and will probably get one. The thing is for the price of either of those you could have a Ruger and nearly a case of ammo (5000) rounds. I think you'd be quite a pistol shot after burning through all of that. I own a 50th Aniv. and have had at least 7 other MK's all have worked real good.

DD

Endeavor to persevere.
Spot shooter View Drop Down
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spot shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 13:17

I picked up a buck mark last year on clearance.

Killed a good number of squirrels with it.

Wish I could have found a K22... nice.

Spot

NH_Hunter View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Kid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NH_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 13:52
I guess I will just go to the gunshop on Tuesday (he isn't open on Monday) and see if he has a 22/45 I can hold. I don't like the stupid mag release on the standard mk2. You do have a point about the price. They are pretty inexpensive. I will hold one and then get back to you guys.

About the 1911's. It doesn't fit my hand right. I can get guns that fit my hand better for less money, so why not just do that?
Leverguns make me smile
Proud Left Handed Shooter
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2005 at 16:39

NH;

You are making a LARGE generalization, regarding the hand fit of a 1911 pattern .45.  There are many variables possible with a 1911 frame.  Flat backstrap or the A-1 style, more grips available than you'd believe, beavertail styles, etc, etc.  Fat grips, thin grips, smooth grips, skateboard tape, anything.

900F

Edited by CB900F
Gunrunner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** Forest Grump **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 04:11

NH,  if possible have an experienced pistol shooter watch you while shooting.  It might take just a suggestion or two on your shooting form to get you hitting the bullseye.  Of course, a lot of practice will pay off in the long run. 

As far as 22's, the Single-Six is a good one and can be had at a low price.  I haven't shot the 22/45 but like the looks of the grip and magazine release compared to my MkII.  You might run across a used 22 in nice shape at a good price.  Handle as many as you can to see what feels good in your hands.

On the Colt jamming.  That might have been your grip on the gun that caused it, not the gun itself. 

Somebody better call the Secret Service. Let 'em know there's an illegal alien in the White House...and it ain't the cook!!
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 07:37

I have a Ruger 22-45. I really like it. Very seldom ever jams, and accuracy is more than acceptable. It has a 4 inch barrel and that makes it easier to carry. I have shot many a sharptail grouse with it during elk season. And like you said the price is right on ammo. Mine works just fine on the $9.00 for 550 rounds stuff from Wal mart.

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
dakotasin View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
a TRUE brother-in-arms!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakotasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 09:14

i have yet to hear anything positive about the sig mosquito, which pains me because i like sig as much as i like remington.

the 22-45 is an option, though i absolutely hated the way it felt in my hand - didn't feel like a 1911 to me... just felt chintzy.

other options.... the browning buckmark and beretta neos have developed good reputations. if i were in the market, i'd get serious about the browning...

Hunting is not a matter of life or death; it is much more important than that.
saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddlesore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2005 at 12:57
Handgun shooting is a might more difficult than rifle,and the 1911 size frame and semi is more difficult to learn. You are wise to get a 22. Best one out there, revolver wise, is the S&W K-22 . Use to be called the  Model 17 if I remember good enough. Get some training from a certified handgun instructor. You will be money ahead in the long run.
Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Rayfromalaska View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayfromalaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2005 at 20:06
Well, Ruger makes a .22LR pistol that has a fluted target barrel. It's made
of stainless steel, but it's kind of expensive.

If you are having problems with accuracy, try a pistol with a good barrel
(regardless of brand), but by all means try one with a red dot sight.
Adjust the sight to whatever distance you are planing to shoot, and you
will be amazed of it's accuracy.

I am looking for a cheaper than Ruger but good .22LR pistol that is drilled
and tapped to accept electronic sights such as a green or red dot. I have a
very accurate pellet pistol that is sold by Crossman, but made by Walter.
This pistol comes with a red dot sight, and it's very accurate. I killed a
couple of grouse with it this week, but would like a .22LR pistol I can load
with subsonic ammo to keep the noise down, and one I can shoot to
perhaps 20 yards. The birds wise-up and keep a distance from me, so it's
very hard to sneak on them close enough for the pellet pistol I have.

Some of the Ruger pistols are not drilled and tapped for electronic sights,
however.
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2005 at 21:31
  Haven't heard anyone mention  a Berretta yet ,the U-22 is a bit on the weird side but comfortable and very accurite. I really like the Cheetah,then there's the Bobcat but it's more of a hide out gun. Have you tried a Sig Trailside?
God,Mother,Country,and Hot Rods. Done with political crap.LOL
dakotasin View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
a TRUE brother-in-arms!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakotasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 03:06

tikka... if you haven't heard anyone mention beretta it is because you have selective hearing!

i did mention beretta neos... still, i think browning makes the better pistol, though the neos can be had for less money, which probably makes beretta the better value...

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 03:43

Fella's;

I've heard of the NEOS, but haven't shot one.  Most of what I did hear was shortly after the release & was negative.  The concerns centered around lack of accuracy & jamming. 

I'd presume that from Dakota's comment, that things have changed.  Where would updated info be available?  Anybody here have first-hand info?

900F

.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayfromalaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 12:13
Originally posted by Tikkabuck Tikkabuck wrote:

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"
color=#660000 size=2>  Haven't heard anyone mention  a Berretta yet
,the U-22 is a bit on the weird side but comfortable and very accurite. I
really like the Cheetah,then there's the Bobcat but it's more of a hide out
gun. Have you tried a Sig Trailside?

I did look at a Baretta U22 this week. It's ugly as hell, but not expensive
when compared to Ruger pistols. The one a saw had a rail or mounting
base along the top. I am seriously thinking about this pistol, since I can
always keep it out of view from my hunting partners (I don't want them to
see how ugly it is), and pull it out of the pack just when hunting birds.

Anybody here has a Baretta U22? If so, how accurate is it?
Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 12:46

Yep they are uoogly for sure and nice colors. Guy had one at the range no problems but uoogly. DK my wife says that too,you and her in kahoots. 

Here's my pick.

.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rayfromalaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 17:19
Tikkabuck: Your pick is the U22? Hopefully it does not shoot as bad as it
looks. I will probably buy one like yours, since i don't need anything fancy
and expensive.
dakotasin View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
a TRUE brother-in-arms!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakotasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 17:36

i think he was referring to the peter (beretta).

tikka - its ok... my wife says i'm just deaf unless the words 'gun, deer, hunting, scope' are mentioned.

Tikkabuck View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
**Robert E. Lee IV **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikkabuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2005 at 18:59
  The bottom 2 Ray. LOL I just put the U22 up to show NH.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic