The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > The BSB Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

fillet northern pike without bones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fillet northern pike without bones
    Posted: 16 June 2005 at 17:01
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
Widux View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Widux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2005 at 23:56
Where did you get that leelte thing for Show & Tell? We do it differently--remove fillets- skin fillets-then remove Y bones from each fillet--hard to explain without pics though- we end up with 6 pcs.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2007 at 03:59
widux -

this seems to work well. i've seen other methods, but this one is is the slickest that i've tried.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
vapodog View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vapodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 15:49
I've used the 6-piece method as well.

The tail section from the Anus back is bone free.....2-pieces
the lower half of each fillet (below the lateral line) is bone free...2-pieces
and the "Y"s are found in the upper fillet and with a bit of pratice they are cut out by feeling them and sliding the knife along tham.  Usually a 3/16 thisk piece of meat is lost and you have 6 pieces bone free!
vapodog View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vapodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 15:53
I might add that Northern Pike is excellent table fare and pike 4- 6 pounds seem to be the best
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2007 at 17:16

vapodog -

>>>Northern Pike is excellent table fare and pike 4- 6 pounds seem to be the best <<<

you're sure right about that! check the recipe section for TasunkaWitko's house pretzel fish recipe. i've tried it on pike and it is one of my favorites!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Murf View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2008 at 02:56

Another good way to cook pike is to boil them. i know it sounds gross at first but give it a try.

put pike fillets in water and bring to a hard boil. Reve fish and dscard the water. Replace water and finish cooking. 

Now the secret: Let cool and then use boilled fish with a cocktail sause that includes horseradish , put on a bed of lettuce and enjoy a prairie version of shrimp cocktail.

Murf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic