The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

doesn’t anyone just "go camping" anymore?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: doesn’t anyone just "go camping" anymore?
    Posted: 02 May 2005 at 04:48
used to do it all the time as a kid, and i didn't need a generator or satellite dish, either.

nowadays, it seems that people need those and all kinds of stuff. i remember some times when the family would go fishing and end up camping overnight on the spur of the moment. doesn't seem to happen that way much anymore.

too many regulations? not enough time? too costly with all of tehse essentials that we just gotta have? better stuff on TV?

i don't know........
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
soggyshooter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggyshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 11:55
Taz, It seems to me, that there are a bunch of people out there who think they need to be "entertained" all the time. Believe it or not, there are a lot that have never been camping. Even growing up. We go every chance we get. Sometimes, if the wife and girls are busy doing girl things, It's just me and the dog.
waksupi View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Keeper of the Old Traditions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waksupi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 12:50
I've been a few times already this year. Generally in conjunction with a shooting expedition. I do quite a bit during the year.
Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php?
saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddlesore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2005 at 12:44
I go every time I go hunting. Trouble is, there are no public campgrounds I enjoy being in. Too much noise
Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2005 at 15:13

Reading this thread.  and the lack of interest it had.  I guess no one does go camping.  I use to backpack and camp lots.  Age has me slowing down, wife will not even go in a motor home.  I got the tent out this summer, some mouse hole and I looked at one of the implement dates (1964).

Thinking of buying a new set up and going alone.  Nothing in the world smells as good as coffee cooking in front of the tent.

BEAR

gary murray View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2005 at 03:23

No matter how you make coffee Bear, it always tastes the best when made on an open fire in front of a tent. Actually i plan on doing camping alot more. I finally have a stove jack on order for my Woods tent. I made a stove out of a 45 gallon drum but since im a welder im going to get some steel sheets and make a smaller more portable one. Im surprised that this thread doesnt get used as much since we camp when we hunt, camp when we fish and so on. It would be good to hear from some people on little tips and tricks they use when at camp to make it more comfortable. For example, when i make camp fire coffee i add a little bit of cinnamon to the grains before i put it on to boil and it adds a nice little touch to the taste. Before i owned a camper or used a tent i would backpack in with just a tarp, sleeping bag and pots/pans when i hunted. I would love to set up a permanent camp in my neck of the woods but there isnt much here for untouched areas so the chances of someone finding it and wrecking it are pretty good. So lets hear from other members on what they do to make their camp more enjoyable and i dont mean what kind of alcohol you bring with you like Spotshooter wanted to know.

Gary

If you can sue McDonalds for getting you fat then why can't you sue the alcohol companies for all the ugly people you ended up sleeping with?
Penticton, B.C. Canada
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2005 at 03:47

Open camp fires are great. But when I fish and camp, I have a two burner Coleman stove.  Even the gas generator in the stove has a distinctive "hiss" when making that first pot.

I use the Cinnamon thing also...did you know that two teaspoons of Cinnamon is a good medical treatment for diabetes?  and it tastes good also.

I either camp heavy or ultra light with back packing.  when back packing I premix some spices to add to all of my "planned meats".  The last night I have a sub-miniature plastic (plane ) bottled drink that I've filled with sherry, add it to the rice after it is cooked as a celebration.

BEAR

saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saddlesore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2005 at 04:48

Nowdays, a person can't go to any public campground and have an enjoyable experience. Too much noise, dogs running lose, music so loud you can't think and playing through out the night. Quiet hours are not honored. Even not in public campgrounds it's about the same.

I go on a few pack trips in the summer into wilderness areas, but here in Colorado, the mosquitoes are about as bad as Alaska if you go into the high country.

I usually don't enjoy it until after the 1st frost or so in the fall. 

Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2005 at 05:23

I've camped a lot.  Never stayed in a formal campground.  Once in 1972 I checked into a KOA on my way to fish the Battenkill in Vermont.  Drove in one side, paid a fee; and drove out the other side.  Sort of reminded me of the squatter cabins in Georgia of the 60s. Never thought I'd want to pay to live like a sharecropper.

BEAR

gary murray View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2005 at 06:26

I hear what your saying Saddlesore. Public campgrounds are a step below becoming a zoo. One night i was fishing at Pennask Lake where the Dole guy from Doles pineapples had a fishing lodge when a bunch of campers from Vancouver set up camp next to us. We had to listen to yelling and Bon Jovi cd's all night long. Well they say paybacks a bitch and after they finally all went to bed at 6.30am, low and behold, i just happened to have a Judas Priest and a Queen tape sitting in the truck and a mighty powerful truck stereo to go with it. I played them for 2 hours straight before heading on the lake. Needless to say  they never said nothing to me and if they had they would have to be completely ignorant to their actions from the previous night. Also this wasnt a public campground. This was way in the backcountry.

Gary

If you can sue McDonalds for getting you fat then why can't you sue the alcohol companies for all the ugly people you ended up sleeping with?
Penticton, B.C. Canada
waksupi View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Keeper of the Old Traditions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waksupi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2005 at 07:16
Here's my camp last spring, while entertaining some friends.

And elk camp

Shooters Cast Bullet Alumnus
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php?
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2005 at 07:19

ric -

i've REALLY got to drop by your place for a visit....that looks GREAT!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Schleprok View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schleprok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 06:55

I go camping every chance I get (when time and $$ permit).  Generally, I put everything I need in a pack and drive out to the area I want to go walk-a-bout, park the truck, look at my topo map, get a compss bearing, and walk...  Usually in one of our national forests.  I've hiked a very small portion of the AT, camped at the summit of Big Frog Mtn in TN, hiked a good portion of the Cohutta Wilderness Area in GA/TN...  Keep meaning to get down to the Arbuckles here in OK, but never seem to have the time to REALLY get out there...

To me camping is what you can carry with you...  no tv, no microwave, none of these high gadgets we have learned "we can't live without".  RV'ing is NOT camping!!!  it's RV'ing!!  I wish those people would get it right...

Edited by Schleprok
dm1333 View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dm1333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 09:03
I just took leave to go see my family.  When I flew back into Sacramento I drove up past Tahoe and spent 10 days fishing, hiking and mountain biking from Tahoe down past Bishop, CA.  The nicest secret to Yosemite is that at the height of the season I paid a few bucks a night for a campsite, saw all the sights, hiked, rode and fished and with almost no crowds.  I camped in the Inyo National Forest on the east side of the park.  Next month I am going on a loop hike in the Trinity Alps for 5 or 6 days.  Then in September or October at least a 4 day hike on the Lost Coast.  I've spent my whole career in the Coast Guard stationed at small, out of the way units that are close to National Parks, Forests, etc. so I can do this.  I dread retirement and getting a real job
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 09:16

sounds like you had a great time, DM1333!

post some pix, if you have any!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2006 at 09:21

Fella's;

When I camp, it's tent camping, no motor home here.  Last time was just the weekend before the 4th of this month.  We stayed at the Many Pines Nat'l Forest Svc. campground just south of Neihart Montana on 89. 

I'd-a druthered stay somewhere else, but the wife & daughter want the toilets & water available.  It wasn't as bad as some I've been in (Yellowstone), but it's still not getting away.  Too many neighbors, too close, & the same attitude as neighbors in town these days.  You know, don't know you & don't want to know you.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2006 at 15:11

I jus' got back from N MN.  9 days in BWCAW. Great country up there.  35,000 acres burned just before I went into the wilderness area.  Choppers and tankers puttin out hot spots.  Finally got out of the burn after a day and a half of paddling.  Anyhoo, after things settled down and I was eatin' dehydrated spaghetti and meatballs made with water heated on my Brunton, I started thinkin' 'bout how much gadgetry I had accumulated over the years for all the specialized purposes related to backcountry expeditioning and or hunting.  The voyagers who explored and trapped that area had no Kevlar canoe, they had a dugout or birchback one, weighing considerably more.  They had no titanium mess kit, they had steel pots or nothing at all.  My custom maps and expensive compass are luxurious by 18th century standards.  But then, 18th century trapper mortality was pretty substantial, by modern standards at least.  You got to hand it to those who ventured out first, without benefit of a tribe or supply line.  The guys who named the lakes, named the mountains, were tough and resourceful.....without gadgets.  Kinda puts 9 days without a bath in perspective.

Edited by Muleskinner
Mule
rivet View Drop Down
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2009 at 07:50
Always been a camper, and tent-only, at best. Someone posted rv-ing is not camping...right on!

Camping is a sleeping bag under the stars. Tents are about as fancy as I get, though I will admit to having had some great weekends in friends's pop-up campers. Females seem to like those.

Each summer when my kids come to visit, I take them camping. They will never get that experience from their mom and step-dad. They love it and are slowly getting used to the bugs, the rain, a bit of somethng unknown that fell into your cup.

If you can't carry it on your back as you hike, you really don't need it!

There are plenty of state and county parks that offer primitive-camping. You just have to look. Some of the best camping I have ever done was in primitive sites at Glacier National Park, up in Montana. Beautiful country.
   FIRE IS OUR FRIEND!
daniel77 View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 01:16
My son and I go camping a pretty fair bit. He'll be 4 at the end of April and has probably got 20 nights or so under his belt. So far, I keep things pretty simple and strait forward. We don't cook other than hot dogs or something very easy, or carry much gear at all. Everything very low key, and the most important thing is that he has a great time. We went two weekends ago, and everything was perfect. 50 degrees, no clouds, no bugs, and so we elected for no tent. He's been when it got below freezing, and we've even taken the horses for an overnight trip. Here are a few pics.

This is his very first trip @ about 2 1/2

Here we are in the winter before he made 3 for his first sub-freezing night. I must admit that I didn't sleep much at all for checking on him every 15 minutes, but he was a trooper and made out just fine.

And these are from our first horse camping trip in Sept. of '09. Our camp was a ways off in the background, and we rode most of the day, despite impending rain. Rain started 15 minutes after we got back. Tell me God didn't want that boy to have some fun.

Edited by daniel77
Am I gonna have to shoot that for you?
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 04:44

Way to go Daniel.

It's good to see kids getting out. It makes better familys and gets them started.

Welcome

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic