The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

doesn’t anyone just "go camping" anymore?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary murray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 10:23
He looks cute on that little horse.

Gary
If you can sue McDonalds for getting you fat then why can't you sue the alcohol companies for all the ugly people you ended up sleeping with?
Penticton, B.C. Canada
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 10:34

Nice to see you posting Daniel.  Good looking son you got.  Bet that pony gets a work out.

Getting the kids involved in the outdoors is a great way to keep them straight as teens.

where you from?

BEAR

soggyshooter View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggyshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 16:26
Good on you for taking the kid camping! We went often, but not often
enough. They do grow up fast. Welcome to the forum, where you from? jeff.
daniel77 View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 17:30
Thanks guys, and yes, the pony gets the hair ridden off of her. We are in South Louisiana, and wouldn't ya know it, the Saints win the Super Bowl and it starts snowing.
Am I gonna have to shoot that for you?
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 17:49
Daniel, that first pic looks like the range at Winnsboro. Could it possibly be??................................Kingpin

Edited by Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 18:20

the most tent camping I do now is the rendezvous and here is my grandson tending the campfire....our friends next door in background

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
millirond View Drop Down
.223 Remington
.223 Remington

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millirond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 08:31

I haven't been real camping since I was a kid. My dad used to take one week of his vac and go to the mtns above Lander,Wy. He had a 12x12 wall tent and we used to set it up next to creek and spend the week fishing and just haveing a good time. We always had a good time and I remember wishing we didn't have to leave at the end of the week. Everything was done by hand (didn't even have a chain saw just a hand wood saw)

The last trip I remember as a kid was going into the Northfork Canyon hiked in and spent 2 nights in there. When we got into the pickup to leave it started raining. Rained til we drove back up to the house. I had a pack that wieghed probably about  80 lbs although I swore it wieghed 200 lbs. When we were coming out to go home we were going up some switchbacks on the trail and a guy came by riding a horse with 6 pack horses with a coors in his hand. I swore from that moment on that I would never pack a camp on my back again. I haven't. I also worked for quite a few years for different outfitters and always slept on the ground. Tarp horse, horse blankets, sleeping bag and throw the second half of the tarp over ya. Very warm. Slept that way in a spike camp and woke up one morning and thought it was still dark out but must have a full moon out. Threw the tarp back to get up and check the fire and had a pile of snow land on my face. It had snowed 2 ft and didn't even know it. I haven't slept on the ground since I hurt my back on an atv. I have a little pickup camper that I use now. Has a 3 burner stove in it and a sink. Works for me.

millirond
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -Thomas Jefferson
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 09:19

hey, daniel - grret to see you here.

looks like you guys had a great time!

TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
daniel77 View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 09:19
Originally posted by Kingpin Kingpin wrote:

Daniel, that first pic looks like the range at Winnsboro. Could it possibly be??................................Kingpin

Kingpin,
No, that pic was taken behind my uncle's house just North of Lafayette, LA. It is also only 2 miles or so from my house, and was chosen as a just in case he couldn't handle camping at that age. My fears were completely unjustified. The last pic, of us on our horses, was taken around Haughton, La, a bit southeast of Shreveport. Are you a fellow Louisiana boy, or just lost a bet and had to go to Winnsboro?

Thanks Tas,
Sorry I haven't been around much. I honestly forgot you had a forum and just recently remembered. I like it quite a bit. Haven't been cussed or called a moron yet, which makes this one a bit different from the other one we're on. LOL How'd the Gravlax digest? I saw you'd started an international foods forum also. I may drop a few Certified Cajun recipes for ya'll one day. You boys in the great white North really need to learn what gumbo is.

Edited by daniel77
Am I gonna have to shoot that for you?
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 09:34

that would be great, daniel! we've got a whole forum there dedicated to southern cooking, and some true cajun recipes would be a great thing. if you ahve any pictures, memories, stories or history to go with the recipes, so much the better!

we've got a political forum ehre at BSB - if you ever want to check it out, just send a PM for the password ~

TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2010 at 11:28
I went to the NRA Small Bore Nationals in Winsboro. They sure were nice people and had GREAT food! Not to mention that, knowing me, put me up to hijacking the Budweiser trailer for as much free beer as we could all drink...................Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 23:27

Irish,

What ronnyvoo do you go to?

Mule
JUSTN A. MURKAN View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUSTN A. MURKAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2010 at 15:13
I love ""just plain campin'"",,,to me,a drive to site is as  improved a site as I want.The one good thing about campin' in Louisiana is not havin' to worry about snow collapsing the tent in the middle of the night,,,but I really miss the open country of the Great Plains of my Montana!!!
If,,in the end all I have is my honor......it will be enough!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic