The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

BSB’s 1000-yard varmint club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
wolfhunter View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSB’s 1000-yard varmint club
    Posted: 09 September 2010 at 12:05

Back in the early 80s one january day my two brothers and I were out tracking red fox in southwestern mn.Gary had junped the fox and it was running along the center fence line my other brother trided to turn the fox around by shootingin front of it. SAKO   22-250 53 gr hornady bthp  on the run over 1/2 mile one shot one kill. We have shot many fox 350yds+ on run practice practice  Kevin

life member NRA and SCI active in two gun clubs
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 17:53

congrats, korey!

pm enroute....

TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
klallen View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** The RockChucker **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2006 at 09:12
A Big Mouth Don't Make A Big Man !!!

The Duke
Canku Nunpa View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canku Nunpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2005 at 07:10
Ain't no 1000 yds!

Got a PD the other day at 363, but the only witness was my LRF 800- unless you count a bunch of cows?? & a burrowing owl.

Factory 700 VS - .222 - 40gr VMAX - Luepold M8 12X - portable bench (steel folding type) - slight, (<5mph) quartering into me, breeze.

Found out a 22 mag makes a TERRIBLE backup 250-300 yd Varmint Rifle!

As soon as I find a good varmint load for my 260AI VS, I think I will try some looooonger shooting.  Basically just working on 120 SMK paper loads and 130 TSX hunting loads.
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2005 at 06:37

congratulations on some outstanding shooting, kirby, and thanks for a great account of it!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
macca View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Thunder From DownUnder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2005 at 11:42

Congrats Fifty,that is a great shot and one hell of a round you have developed.All the best with your future rounds as well.

Macca

don't let the bastards grind you down.

Fiftydriver View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiftydriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2005 at 10:20

Tas,

This is an account of a couple hunts that occured this week for me.

A little information on the rifle used:

-One of my APS Extreme Sporters based on a Savage receiver.

-30" #6 contour 1-8" twist .277"

-Chambering: 270 Allen mag

-Rifle weight: 10 1/4 lbs ready to hunt

Load

-Bullet: 169.5 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat .750 BC

-100.0 gr WC872

-Velocity:  3265 fps  (rather mild as 3400 fps is easily reached)

Scope

-Weaver 4.5-14 Tactical mil-dot w/ scope level

Here is the story:

Was a nice morning so I decided to head back out to the chuck hill to see if I could catch a fat boy sunning on the rocks.

Took the 270 AM and the Kahn and set up in my usual favorite spot. Eariler in the week I had landed a big 169.5 gr WIldcat on a chuck at 1098 yards but unfortunatly he made it to his den, basically fell into and down his den after the hit.

On the den where I hit that chuck there was zero activity which kind of suprised me as there had been four young chucks running all over hell that day but nothing today.

I decided to test the drop of the rifle so I found a chuck sized rock at 1080 yards and figured the hold and took three shots at it. The first one landed just above the rock, maybe 2" high of the roughly foot long by 1/2 foot tall rock. Plenty close. The second shot landed solidly on the left half of the rock, actually breaking off a large part. Shot three landed just high over the left section of the rock. About a 5" groups!!! I was very pleased and began dreaming of a big whitetail at that range being pretty easy pickin's with an accurate range measurement.

I started glassing different areas of the rocky hills and came across a HUGE chuck sitting on a very small rock out in the middle of a grassy hill side. Looked pretty strange to be honest, the rock was around 6" square and this chuck looked huge sitting on top of it. We have taken several chucks in the 12-14 lb range and one just over 16 lbs and this chuck looked as large as any we had every seen on the hill.

Luckily he was in the open part of the grassy hill and I got several reading from 1250 to 1258. I averaged them out and shot for around 1255 yards.

I leveled the Extreme Sporter and made the adjustments for the longer range and settled into the rifle. At this range, 14x is extremely minimum but as the chuck was huge and sitting in the middle of an open patch of short grass, his big black body made a great target.

The wind, roughly 5 mph was directly at my back so I held dead on and let a 169.5 gr Wildcat fly.

The big ULD landed dead center on the rock the chuck was sitting on and that big chuck jumped a full 3 feet straight in the air. The hit was only inches under the chuck and the big boy wasted no time getting up into the rocks and the shadows and I simply could not pick him out of the rocks with the Weaver scope at what was now +1300 yards.

I was very happy with the near miss, again any critter larger then a coyote would have been hit hard in the vitals.

I scanned the slides for about 10 minutes and found another chuck hunkered up on a large flat rock. The area the chuck was in was not offering an accurate range measurement but knowing the area very well and having a spot in front of the chuck(1088 yards) and behind the chuck(1129 yards) that I could get readings on I figured him to be in the 1114 to 1115 range give or take a yard or so.

This was also a large chuck, not as large as the one I had just shot at but still a +10 lb chuck.

The way the chuck was positioned on the rock made him a relatively small target for his size but any hit would produce serious damage and probably an instant kill.

I went though my set up routine and settled in on the chuck. I recovered from recoil just in time to see the big bullet land dead center and he simply slumped over the rock and rolled 30 yards down the steep hill.

I watched as he came to rest and he was moving slighly trying to get back up the hill but he could not move. Within a couple seconds all movement stopped and he was dead!

I though about tuning in the Kahn but then decided I wanted pictures of my longest personal one shot kill so I packed up and drove up to the hill and was happy to find the big chuck where I had last seen him from my shooting location.

This 270 AM in the Extreme Sporters with the 169.5 gr ULD is simply awsome in the field. I often forget to realize that I am shooting a sporter right that weights 10 lbs ready to hunt. I have been totally impressed with this system every time I have pushed its limits.

As of yet, I have not found the rifles limits where consistancy drops off. With this big game hunting rifle, the main limits are the 4.5-14 scope and getting accurate range measurement.

Bullet performance was also impressive on this chuck as it was on that first chuck showing results of high retained velocity and energy and good expansion even at this range.

Had I hit this chuck at this range with my fast twist 6mm-284 I would have lost him as I have seen this time and time again. Just not enough frontal area and energy to open the small caliber bullets up to inflict severe tissue damage, at least not with the 107 gr SMK.

Not the case with the 270 AM though and the 169.5 gr ULD. Unless they fall in their den they are dead from any real solid hit.

Have a good fathers day!!

Kirby Allen(50)

macca View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2005 at 00:07

TV,the 22-250 will get to 1000yards with your current load but it will be doing 1018fps and it will deliver 115 fpe with 368 inches of drop and 150 inches of movement in a 10mph cross wind.

If you ever wear out the barrel consider having a 1:8 twist put in and shooting 80 grainers.They get to 1000y at 1274fps,288fpe,362 inches of drop and 117 inches of movement in a 10mph cross wind.

The 30-06 will do good if the groups hold at that distance.Go with the most accurate load.The heavier projectiles with better bc often stand up better then the high velocity loads.Just a thought.

Macca

Taupo Varminter View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taupo Varminter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 22:58

I am impressed so there is hope for me yet, allthough I think i'll be strugling to a 1000yard with my 22-250 so I was thinking next time to use my sako 30-06 with 110 Vmax as well to see which would suit the 100yard better

Thanks for the inspiration for more long shooting.

Long shot Lloyd
macca View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 21:15

It was a bunny mate.I had had a few hit around 500 yards earlier and some misses between 700 and 800.I had one lasered at over a 1000(actually the laser was reading on a rock behind him) but he ducked back into his hole.The unlucky victim came up on the closer side of the warren and met his fate.Not much left when a 240 goes through.

It was a good day for LR with very light breeze and no mirage.

The bloke who owns the rifle(a gunsmith) popped a goat at 980 odd the same day.

We only shoot when the conditions are as close to ideal as you can get.

All the blokes I shoot with are range shooters as well(either benchrest or F-class and fullbore).So we have a fair bit of practice reading wind etc.We aren't yahoos.

Macca

Macca

.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taupo Varminter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 07:51
What did you shoot at 966 yards??
Long shot Lloyd
macca View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 23:39

TV, the rifle was a 40lb 300 RUM with 34 inch barrel by Tobler.It was driving 240 grain customs with ADI AR2217.A leica 1200 range finder gave distances of 966,967 and 965(966 average).It wore a 12x42 x56mm Nightforce.

It was shot from a stationary vehicle at 4.15pm with six other shooters present.It was not the long shot of the day.That belongs to another gentleman.

I have had no luck with my 308 past 600 yards.My 243 sits about 550 yards.I hope to use a 6mm BR(my new F class target rifle) and see how it goes.

I also used  the  RUM to go 911 yards last year.That however was a feral pig.

Good luck with your quest for 1000meters or yards.You will find a few acomplished long rangers on this sight.

Macca

.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taupo Varminter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 20:54

966 yards is a long shot in anybodies book specially if it was one shot one kill. What did you shoot and What callibre, skope, load etc (all the bullshit). And how did you verify the distance??

The reason I want to know all this is for my next attempt at a long shot. Weather my rifle will cut the mustard or not??

Long shot Lloyd
macca View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 19:28

Well I have been trying to get to 1000 yards for a fair while.I sit at 966 yards a bit of a jump from 911 last year.I  hope to get there eventually.I have not had a lot of free time this year between work and shooting trips so my posts are few and far between.

Macca

Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2005 at 03:55
taupo -

first, welcome to the baitshop! i'm honored to tell you that you are, as far as i know, our first member who is from new zealand!

secondly, that's some VERY good shooting! a couple of years ago, i had bought a howa .223 and was in the process of loading some 50-grn Vmax pillos for it, but unfortunately, i had to trade the rifle for a car (we REALLY needed a car!) and never got to try those loads. judging from your account, it seems as though the Vmax is living up to its reputation as a fantastic bullet!

looking forward to more long-range varminting talk and also to your knowledge and experience from kiwi-land!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taupo Varminter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2005 at 18:39

On the 1st of may around 9:30am my time I shot a Rabbit with my weatherby markV 22-250 50gr Vmax with 37gr AR2208 powder doing 3790 ft/sec At 405m in the head (eye in fact) then 20 mins latter I shot a rabbit 570m thats 625 yards in the chest. Distances were verified by bushnel laser range finder twice and verified by Taupo Hunter of accurate reloading forums. To date my record was 310m on a rabbit so this absolutly blows that away. I forgot to bring my digital camera that morning so photo's still to come but that is good mile stone to achieve. The hard job is to find Varmints in open enough country to get a 1000yd shot (914m for us metrics, I'm going for the 1000m next thats 1093yards.

Long shot Lloyd
quigleysharps45 View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quigleysharps45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2005 at 18:01
Wouldn't mind giving it a whirl...but...I'd have to talk to my buddy's wives to see if they'd let their husbands out from under their skirts long enough to do some witnessing.  Real sad here in my neck of the woods. Never seen so many beat down guys these days.
Timberghozt View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka GarryOwen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timberghozt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2005 at 11:51
Hey Tash,count me in.The farthest I have ever shot for small targets is 700 yards.I think I have a load for my 308 that could possibly do it at 1000 yards.Getting a critter to stay out past 1000 may be difficult,but any critter past 500 yards is a good accomplishment in my book.

"Don`t touch my .50 numbnuts" Me.....
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2005 at 10:23
alright, after a couple of PMs, these changes have been made to the original post:

1000yrds is still the goal, but we will also have 500yrd, 750yrd and 900yrd categories. please submit these pix and stories also!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2005 at 09:43
Originally posted by waksupi waksupi wrote:

I have enough problem seeing the 30 inch target at a thousand with the sights on my Sharps. A gopher? Hahahahahahahaha!

ah, but think of the GLORY, ric!!!

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic