The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

.375 WSM or ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .375 WSM or ?
    Posted: 16 February 2005 at 14:36

I've been waiting for this one. Has anyone built one? I'd hate to have one built and then Winchester or whatever factory comes out with a different shoulder angle. That would make the brass and custom dies I'd need worthless. What do ya think?

DD

Endeavor to persevere.
dakotasin View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
a TRUE brother-in-arms!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakotasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 14:55

purely speculation: i don't see it happening. between the h&h and the rum, i simply do not see any niche that can be filled here w/ the lower powder cap. the wsm series is already being taken to task by its full-sized counterparts (especially the 7 and 30 version).

don't get me wrong, i really like mine, but the newness has worn off, and there seems to not be the strong following that there initially was (at least win had a strong following in the beginning - don't think rem ever even had that).

i say build away!

Hunting is not a matter of life or death; it is much more important than that.
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 15:34

Deaddog;

After reading the articles in American Rifleman & one of the other slick 'zines, I don't think Winchester's going to be bringing a big bore WSM out either.  Or, if they do, it won't have the 'S' in it. 

Both articles lead me to believe that Winchester went .325 instead of .338 because the case configuration simply does not support efficiency in the bigger bores.  And the bigger the bore gets, the worse the problem becomes.

So, I wouldn't worry about Winnie upstaging you, I'd worry about trying to beat a dead horse across the finish line.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2005 at 16:24

I was just thinking if they could come somewhere close to .375 H&H speeds with a short action. I see your point about the bigger bores not working as well, they'd be getting closer to a straight wall and we know the limitations of those.

DD

Endeavor to persevere.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 02:56

DD,

I've been waiting for the 375 WSM.  I even used my software to design a cartridge, basically merely necking down.

It really looks like the ultimate NA big game cartridge, elk, moose, big bears.  It makes lots of sense to use the short action on a hunting/carry weapon for big stuff.  A 22 inch barrel on a M70 with a syn stock would make it perfect.  It would not be in competition to the 375 Ultra/Weatherby/etc.  Those have small followings as most hunter know they can't handle the recoil of the BIG ones.

Similar to you I have been holding off, preferring to get a factory round for lots of reasons, including the reamer and die costs.

I thought the 325 intro might be a hint of the future??????  Win could call it the 9.3 WSM and use either the .375 or the 9.3 bullets, I'd take either.  I've also thought of the 45 WSM...I need one of those also.

BEAR

deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 03:25

Speaking of "software" is their anything out there that can predict performance by telling it the case volume, barrel length, bullet, powder, etc.?

DD

Endeavor to persevere.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 03:51

Yes, originally there was the Powley calculator.  A slide rule type device, looked just like the old flight calculators with a number of fields and different window.  It was just like figuring a course with a crosswind.  They are no longer made.  But sell for about $0 on e-bay.  Mr. Powley died and his wife made them for some years.  Their was talk of them being made again.  I still have on to play with.  You need to input case volume and barrel length and powder burn ratios.  Unfortunately most of the powders that Powley used have changed.  But it is a fun thing to play with.

I understand that there is a commercial program that is available on the net.  Maybe some one uses it.  When I'm looking at wildcats designs I just find another cartridge that has similar case capacity.  With all the case available there are no problems getting similar characteristics.  Interesting is when you see published figures for some new wildcat and then see that other cartridges of similar capacity get 200 fps less.  Simple the wildcater it running more pressure, safe??????

BEAR

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2005 at 04:06

DD,

Geocites lists about 5 or 6 free software programs that copy the Powley calculator.  Sezrch for Powley on this site.

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1221/shoot.htm

Most are zipped files so you will need to unzip.

BEAR

2Bits View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Bits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2005 at 15:43

I was always content with my .375 H&H, until one day I read an article by some gun rag and just had to have a .375 Weatherby. I soon found out their ammo was sky high and the felt recoil was even higher compared to the .375 H&H. You don't want to shoot that .375-Weatherby with full house loads from the bench.......OUCH!!! and then some. It will bring tears to a tuff guys face with in a half dozen rounds fired.

Nowdays I just pick up the .416 Rem mag and been done with any negative thoughts. I like that .416 so much, I gave my .375 H&H to my son. My 2 gun African battery consists of a .416 Rem mag and the stretched out .475 caliber on a model 70 action.

Thank A Vet For Your Freedom!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2005 at 04:04

2-bits

My African 2 rifle case has a 338 and 416 rem mag.  If I'm not doing something big.  The 416 stays at home and a 257 roberts replaces it.

I need an A trip soon.

BEAR

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic