The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

"Free" Reloading Press

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace
Racist Fucktard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Free" Reloading Press
    Posted: 09 February 2005 at 03:46
I got a card in the mail from Lee advertising a "free" Lee Reloader Press if you order the Second Edition Lee Reloading Manual. It came yesterday. It was about what I expected. All die cast "C" frame type. I'll probably set it up for decapping, or some other low stress reloading task. It lists for $26.95 in their catalog, which isn't bad considering they want $29.95 for the manual alone. I haven't looked at the manual real well yet, but it seems to have some good information at first glance. You can never have enough reloading manuals. Just thought I'd pass it on.  billt 
Triggerguard View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

aka The San Antonio Terminator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triggerguard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2005 at 08:42
They've also had a deal with the hand press and book as well.  The book alone is about $12 from Midway. Lots of folks have nothing good to say about Lee products, but I think Richard Lee is one knowledgable SOB about reloading. The book is well worth the price, IMO.
"...A moral compass needs a butt end.Whatever direction France is pointing-towards collaboration with Nazis, accomodation with communists,...we can go the other way with a quiet conscience"-O'Rourke
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2005 at 10:19

Interesting, about 3 years ago, I bought the same press from Midway (special) for about $9.95.  Seemed too good to pass.  thought about using it as a seater press.  I still have it, you get what you pay for and the Lee basic cast alloy C press was almost worth $9.

I use to seat and add powder at the range for load development.  But all the operations of reloading are important to have consistent and accurate.  Too much play in the Lee for me to have faith in it.   I'll probably give it away to some one who wants to start reloading.  I gave most of the "original" lee reloaders (neck size only) away to a couple of guys on the old Shooters board that thought they wanted to reload.

Seems the older I get the more valuable my time is, so I tend to want to avoid wasting it on less than durable goods.

B EAR

Rob1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
** The Walnut Whisperer **

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2005 at 11:08
lee makes  a good hand primer, beats the hell out of the rcbs version.

Edited by Rob1
last in line for the nobel peace prize. first in line for pie

Charter Member of the Round Earth Society
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2005 at 16:42
i have the first edition book, and think it is one very good introduction to reloading. as far as i can tell, the data listed is sound, too.
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CB900F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2005 at 02:36

Fella's;

I don't recall anybody ever having a problem with Lee's book & information.  The hardware, that's another story.  Actually, some good designs, but uniformly poor execution.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
billt View Drop Down
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace
Racist Fucktard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2005 at 04:39
I think one of Lee's best products are there Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Carbide Factory Crimp Die for straight walled handgun ammunition. I'm waiting for them to come out with it in .500 S&W. A lot of their stuff is die cast metal. But so is the Square Deal press by Dillon, and it's been large sucess. I bought one of the first ones in .44 Mag. and it's been going strong for over 13 years.  billt
drinksgin View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinksgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2005 at 14:49
I use my free press for everything except forming from another case, faster and more accessable than my RCBS JR2[it was almost free, the crosspin was loose, the ram would only go 1" and it was $1 in a garage sale].
I really hated to pay only $1 for it, BUT.
The Lee snd .ed . and press was $21 at an online vendor.
Don

Edited by drinksgin
Don
Dave Skinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

AKA "Fast Eddie"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Skinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2005 at 15:30
I bought the Lee Anniversary Kit from Cabelas in a fit of fiscal flushery. The O-press is now on a plate that goes in the range box for load development. It's fine for workups and the plate has holes for some studs I put in my bench. Glad to have it for when I need to experiment rather than screw around with setting up the XL650.
Up hills slow, down hills fast, tonnage first and safety last
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic