The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > The BSB Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic Closedwinchester trigger adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Direct Link To This Post Topic: winchester trigger adjustment
    Posted: 04 September 2004 at 05:55

Kingpin,

Help!

I've got a Pre-64 M70 that needs some trigger adjustment and all the action (and barrel) screws torqued to spec. This rifle has a terrible trigger that I'm sure is affecting it's field accuracy potential greatly. I bought a pair of trigger wrenches from Brownells so that I could adjust the spring tension on the trigger. If this doesn't work, and a new spring can't be dropped in to cure the trouble; then it's off to a gifted smith with a set of stones as soon as I can find one locally... Thanks.AW

mr mom View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2004 at 08:07
adobe: i think kingpin was laeving for a couple of weeks to utah??? so if he dosent get back to you right away that is why......
mr mom
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2004 at 13:31

Adobe;

Three screws, right?  Forend, take off & save for the collector's value.  Middle, torque to 10 ft lbs.  Rear, just a small dab of locktite & snug.  The locktite's there to keep it from 'disappearing' on ya in case your snug isn't like my snug.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2004 at 17:22
Adobe, it's fairly easy. First thing you will have to do is to push out the pin holding the trigger. Remove the adjusting screw. If it is a newer rifle, there will be a glob of rockset or something similar. Now the dicey part, put the trigger in a vise and GENTLY loosen the screws. Back them off until you can get to that glod of whatever, and get it off the screw. There are three nuts on that screw, one is above the trigger, and two are below. The lower nut is a locking nut, and aside from legal stuff, I see no use what so ever for that locking agent that they use. Onse the screw is cleaned off, reassemble what you just took apart, making sure that the trigger spring goes into the hole in the receiver. Tighten the screw down, until the rifle fires (assuming that you unloaded the rifle first, shit, I forgot to mention that.) nce it fires by turning the screw, back it out a full turn, and try it again. This time, it should take pulling the trigger to accomplish this. To adjust the weight of pull, back the bottom nuts off to extend the spring. Get it as light as you like it, but check that it doesn't slam fire. Do this by vising the barreled action in a vise with soft jaws, and vigorously work the bolt into and out of battery. If it doesn't slam fire after around 20 cycles, you made it. From here, hold the bottom nut and lock it in place with the top nut, being careful not to strip the screw. I have a set of those Brownell wrenches too, but the one that I use for the Winchester adjustments broke, I now use a set of automotive points wrenches that I bought from Sears. After all, there's more for your life at Sears.  I normally polish the sear surfaces too, but I stop short of telling folks how to do that because it could turn into a catastrophy. Guys, for some reason, like to use a dremel tool to polish these surfaces. They ruin them in the process. They are polished, sure, but they aren't straight or square like they should be. Good luck to you Adobe, if you run into trouble, I will still be here for another week.................Kingpin  
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Adobe Walls View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2004 at 12:32
Thanks Kingpin! I'll get that thing out of the wood in a couple of days and give the adjustment a try. If that doesn't fly, we'll try something else. Can't believe an early 50's M70 could have such a trigger unless someone at the factory was hung over or something....AW
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic