The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedMule . What did the vet say

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mule . What did the vet say
    Posted: 21 July 2003 at 07:24
Mule, Any news yet aboiut Tonk? Sure hope it's good
Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2003 at 15:37

Took more xrays.  Sent them to a radiologist vet outta state.  My vet figurs he'll be lame from now on.  Lil' spurs on the front of the knee.  Turned him back out with the rest.  He ain't gettin' better in a stall, so I figur he outta enjoy his last days if that's how it comes to pass.  Cain't find anybody to buy him for meat.  May have to shoot him.  God I don't wanna do that.  You ever shot a horse before?  I ain't.  Plenty of dogs, but no horses.  What's yer best guess, middle of the forehead?

Mule
saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2003 at 03:15

I wouldn't want to do it either, but if you have to, draw an imaginary x from one ear to the oposite eye and then from the other ear to the oposite eye, perpendicular to the forhead. You want it straight in, not at an angle. The intersection marks the spot. He will drop immediately. Then for insurance, put one into a spot right below the ear, into the brain, after he is down.

Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Spot shooter View Drop Down
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2003 at 06:14

Mule,

I've done it with cow's and pig's, it's the same draw the x have their head down - do it by givin them something to eat.  Directly perpendicular is much easier when the head is down.  With hog's you get down on the ground with them and have the muzzle about 1 1/2 to 2" away.  Some say to use a 22 - don't go thet route, I use my dad's 357 on cattle, that way if it's a bit off the pressure takes them down.  Damn sorry to hear it might come to this, I wouldn't want to do it, heck I had problems doing it on the cows I that raised.

Spot

saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2003 at 07:03
I 've have done a lot of beef and pigs with a 22 without problems. However this is more personal and you want to be sure it's quick, so the .357 or 44mag wouldn't be out of the question. Or a rifle
Saddlesore
rollingb View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2003 at 07:13
Muleskinner,.... I'm sorry ta hear 'bout "Tonk",.. I had ta put a horse down years ago,.... and it sure hurts!!.. but,.. tha horse didn't know "what" hit him (center'a forehead shot/44mag.) and it was finished.

Remember tha "good times" ya had with'im!!

Very best regards!!
rollingb/Rondo
SelwayPacker View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2003 at 07:34

Well mule, I'm sorry to hear that.  Sounds like what took my buckskin (Hawk), my top hoss for 10 years.  I retired him to pasture last year.  Bute took care of some arthritis, but something in his knee ended his working days.  He growed a big spur on the front of his knee  and I figgered that was the problem.  Never got it checked out because of his age (22).  Boss told me I had to get rid of him but I ain't yet.  Got plenty of grass and hay.  Last I checked, meat prices was only 18 cents.... animal rights folks taking the market out of horse meat.  Couldn't sell out my hoss for no 18 cents.

It might be the end for King too, my top hoss for the last few years... best horse we've ever had.    He's hurtin' but tries to hide it.  He's all heart.     

SteelyEyes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2003 at 02:48

Our mule Levi is lame now too. It doesn't look too good from what the vet says. I guess I'll be looking for a new pack beast soon.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic