The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Library > The BSB Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

1911’s triggers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayrando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1911’s triggers
    Posted: 09 August 2004 at 16:41
Hi All:
Just got a springfield mil-spec 1911 in 38 super to go with the
mil-spec in .45. NOw here is the question how does one go
about lightening the trigger pull? King andy one..
Thnaks in advance .
jay
dakotasin View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
a TRUE brother-in-arms!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dakotasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2004 at 05:48

i really, really hate to do this... the following link will take you to another forum where this has been hashed out. i was really hoping that kp or nl would jump in here and enlighten us all, but i'd really hate if you weren't absolutely thrilled w/ a gun for no reason other than the trigger... the link is pretty convoluted, but after enough reading and studying, you should be able to do the job. i was hoping that someone 'home-brewed' could post a clean, direct answer to your question...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61 238

Hunting is not a matter of life or death; it is much more important than that.
North Logan View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka The Legendary Lawman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote North Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2004 at 06:26

Of course I'll defer to Kingpin as he is an accomplished 'smith but I will say that I've had success 'lightening' the trigger pull on 1911's by installing a lighter 'mainspring' in it's housing.

You can get great quality 'mainsprings' from Wilson, Ed Brown, Wolfe and the like. You can also accomplish the same thing by clipping a coil or two off the mainspring that's already in the pistol but I don't recommend that since after market springs are readily available and then you know exactly what 'weight' spring you are installing.

Regards, Marcus.

"COLTS & PONY CARS"...
Triggerguard View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

aka The San Antonio Terminator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triggerguard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2004 at 10:11
Is the trigger heavy,or just generally gritty and crappy? It is amazing the difference that judicious polishing can do, without ever touching the scear/hammer. Basicly polish everything that has to do with the hammer/trigger/disconnecter. There is a huge difference between polishing and stock removal, so tread lightly if you decide to do anything.
"...A moral compass needs a butt end.Whatever direction France is pointing-towards collaboration with Nazis, accomodation with communists,...we can go the other way with a quiet conscience"-O'Rourke
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2004 at 11:07
As has been pointed out, installing a lighter mainspring will lighten the pull. I prefer to polish the sear and hammer to remove the creep. If the mainspring is lightened, it is possible to affect the reliability in the way of light strikes. Personally, I use all the springs that the factory supplied with the gun, and there are those who will say that they have never had a problem with light strikes. More power to them. I have seen the aftermath in a few cases. Some aren't too bad, happening on the range, but some, well, I don't think that I have to mention that there is no second place in a gunfight. Trigger jobs on 1911's, for carry purposes, should NEVER be below a 3# pull. Liability falls comes into play here. It's a lot different for 1911's that will be used in matches though, and I have both types. I get $35 for trigger jobs on them, plus parts if I need them, and have never had a return. Also, the leaf spring can be adjusted (temporarily, metal has a memory) if you know what you're doing, but, it is just a temporary fix. By and large, all 1911's from the box, need a new trigger because the stock ones are just too short for normal shooters. Trigger over travel comes into play with a good trigger too, so this is just another topic to throw into the mix.....Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
gwindrider1 View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwindrider1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2004 at 07:17
Jay,  Triggerguard and Kingpin hit this one on the head.  Locate someone knowledgeable with 1911's, and have them do a basic trigger job on your new piece.  If it is done properly, you will not need any new parts, and you will notice a definite improvement.  Best of luck with it, and shoot often, shoot more!
gwindrider1
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muleskinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2005 at 12:38
What about the triggers on Kimbers?  For that matter, I've heard mixed reviews on the tactical extractor that comes standard on those 45s nowadays.
Mule
Kingpin View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Old IronSides

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2005 at 13:03
Sorry Mule, I missed this. I have seen a number of Kimbers, and read their ads and in truth, I get a lot of them to work on. More so than all others. Their tactical extractor is great, but when you have one (and you will see them) that doesn't work right, you have a headache on your hands. I Ihave adjusted a couple of them to get them to work, but, by and large, the "tactical" monnicer is just for sales purposes..................Kingpin
There are times when a normal man must, spit in his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic