The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedTonk’s prog’n’osis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tonk’s prog’n’osis
    Posted: 16 July 2003 at 16:28

Muleskinner,

That horse of yours gettin better (hopefully)? 

Spot

Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2003 at 01:52
Ain't no better yet.  Still butin' him heavy an' keepin' him stalled up.  He's goin' to the vet Saturday, may not come back.  Same ol' problem though.  I asked the wife to find a horsemeat dealer to come git him an' maybe pay us a lil' to recover some of our vet costs.  She started cryin', sayin' she didn't want him shot or et by dogs.  She'd prefer to pay to have him euthinized, then pay to have him buried by a backhoe, an' pay the vet bills on top of it all.  Tonk's a great horse, but I cain't see how a bullet in the bean is any worse than a needle, an' he's 1200 lbs of good meat that them cannucks or some fine dogs would find mighty tasty.  Sometimes, ya jus' gotta be practical an' cut yer losses.  Makes me sick to see him all hobbled up.  Best horse I got.
Mule
saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2003 at 01:55
Mule, have you checked for an abcess under the sole? That will really gimp them up, but can be treated fairly good with some antibiotics and soaking in Epsum salts.
Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2003 at 13:03
His foot ain't tender at all.  Its obvious in the knee, was swolled up at first.  A quick turn, like when a mare went after him whilst he was eatin', will hobble him good so you can see its plainly the knee joint.  I'll bute him up an' pull his front shoes jus' to make sure there ain't nuthin' I cain't see.  He's been to gimpy to stand on the hurt leg alone, so I left his shoes be.
Mule
Spot shooter View Drop Down
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2003 at 15:23

Muleskinner,

Wish I new more bout horses, don't sound good.  If it's swollen, and won't go down I had an old guy show me once thet a bee sting makes the blood go into an arthric area and clean it out.  When his hand's get crippled up bad he'd take a honey bee from our hives and make it sting him between the knuckles.  Damn if it didn't work, next day or two and he'd have good movement.  Don't know if I'd try doing it on a horse but it's all I know.  Puttin a critter down can be real hard, harder yet to get the job done and acknowledge the feelins of others.  Don't know if prayin will work, guess it won't hurt none, sure sounds like he's a good beast.  

Spot

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2003 at 03:53

Know how you feel. I have two horses and a mule buried on the place. One was the first horse I bought. The other horse was my wife's barrel horse. The mule was the fist one I ever bought. He was 26 and dislocated a hip. I ponied him out of the mountains loaded with bute. After several x-rays here, I took him up to the Vet college in Ft Collins. They had him for two weeks. Said it would cost $5K to work on him. They had sone 17 operations and only had success with two and then they still couldn't work the critters. So I brought him home and had hole dug in February. Ground was frozen solid, but the guy only charged me $50. I had about $700 in vet bills up to then. Another $50 to have a vet come out and put him down.

I just figured he carried my sorry ass all over the mountains for many a year, and I owed him something back.

Hopefully it's just an infection and some anti biotics ,and maybe some cortisone wil clear it up.

Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2003 at 09:31

Now you got me feelin' bad 'bout wantin' to meat the lughaid out.  He's been a good horse.  Tough an' steady.  Ain't got a good replacement.  Annabelle is still learnin'.   Tonk would allays slow down on his own after crossin' a obstacle, so the string wouldn't git jammed up.  He didn't whinny or blow on cold mornings in elk country.  If snow covered the trail, he'd sniff it out.  If it was dark or blizzardy, I'd give 'im his head an he'd git me back to camp.

I gotta go now fellers.  I'm all choked up an' ashamed of the thorts I been considerin'.

Mule
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2003 at 12:06
Well mule I'l tell you something. A horse or mule is just that. But if you do have to put ole Tonk down, you'll remember a lot of good things everytime you look over his ground. Some how all the bad ones fade away. I value friendship a lot, and don't take it lightly, but I value a good horse or mule more.
Saddlesore
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic