The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedBest place to sleep when your in a jam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Spot shooter View Drop Down
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best place to sleep when your in a jam
    Posted: 29 July 2003 at 15:03

CB,

Ever go to the spyderco outlet just outside of Denver?

I do have a nice Benchmade (ATS-34), Randles are a bit too fancy fer me, not that there not good knives but I'm pretty rough on the things I own (they get used well).  Most the knives I have are faded, some of the chrome warn off, ..... I like Stainless lately, but I'll tell ya what a good Buck knife is pretty hard to beat.  I'll check them links out, I collect knives like some folks collect gun's.

Spot

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2003 at 12:37

Spot;

Have you ever seen a Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalogue?  The web site is:  www.eknifeworks.com.  They've got quite a selection of production stuff.  A.G. Russell in Arkansas has a smaller catalogue, but more upscale.  They are at:  www.agrussell.com.  Of course, you may already have contacts that can supply you with exactly what you want.  In which case, please let me see what you decide on, I'd be interested.

900F

Birth certificate!? He don't need no steenkink birth certificate!!
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2003 at 11:25

I think SS's got it right, you can only count on yourself.

As fer the 4" knife thing, I've been given that some thinkin.  My knives are longer blades, but I have a couple shorter ones.  They are what I am use to from growning up mostly Case XXX.  I need to try a larger one out, don't know how it will balance in my hand.  I keep mine so sharp thet weight ain't a problem, but I'd like to try a heavier one just to see what they're like.

Spot

saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2003 at 02:12

One side of my saddle bags always  has provisions to stay out over night. Back pack stove, matches, coffee, dried soup, jerky,fist aid kit, axe. All the little survival equipment. Cantle bag has military pauncho and insulated sweat shirt. My cardinal rule is  to never leave camp without them. Even if it's warm, My parka always get tied on behind the saddle. Another reason to carry a bigger knife than just a small 4 " skinner.

I'm never more than a 1/2 mile from the mue.

Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Blkpwdernut View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2003 at 18:36

Spotshooter, how about the old tried and true military isssue poncho and liner? Ive used one for 18 years to sleep in and use for shelter when needed rolls up into a pakage about 7 inches long by 4 inches in diameter.

Does not play well with others
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2003 at 15:01

Tasunk;

Especially the pool! 

On the other hand he might be suggestin we could have a helicopter bring us a women from the hotel in case we get stuck out in them woods alone.  Now thet's somethin to think about.

cya Spot (grin)

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2003 at 14:57

Tasunk;

What's up with the Yogo Inn link?  I admit it's nice, but I'm gonna have a hell of a time trying to fit that in my pack!

900F

Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2003 at 14:49

CB,

Your pack sounds pretty much like mine, but I use parachute cord fer rope, got the axe, map, paper towels instead of TP, always carry water, knife, compass and GPS if it's new ground or deep in.  I also carry a road flare - works fer startin fires, signalin and fightin off bears (LOL).   Carry the pistolee if I'm in bear territory (and the law allows), need to start with the first aid kit, the one in the trucks over 8 years old?  Also have a signalin mirror, and I hardly ever leave without enough ammo to take down the alamo.  I have been able to buy some nice high tech clothing lately so and don't hunt anywhere that I couldn't crawl out of in one day if I had too.  However, that's gonna change.  I think the sock's are good, I carry a goretex pilots? cap that is fur lined - real nice.   What I'll probably do is look fer something I can create a 6x8 foot cover with and see how small I can get it fer my pack.  Like I said, most stuff don't fit the bill, I'll have to look around fer some ideas'.

Guy's I know how to build shelters, but theres a big difference in doing the right way, and wrong way.  Placement, construction, and the moment you know when your in trouble are more important then building a perfect shelter.  I go by the 3, 3, 3 Rule - You hours of weather can kill ya, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.  Worked so far.

Spot

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
aka The Gipper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2003 at 14:31

www.yogoinn.com

Edited by TasunkaWitko
TasunkaWitko - Chinook, Montana

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen
CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2003 at 13:36

Spot;

What's in the pack varies from trip to trip.  My memory, or lack of it, frequently has a large bearing on the contents also.  But to answer your question:

Sleeping bag, waterproof shroud (can be visquin or 6X8 poly tarp but they are noisy), ground pad if you want to carry it, couple of disposable lighters, compass or GPS, my little Gerber pack axe, stocking cap or headband, gloves, socks, spare glasses, food.  Sometimes 50 to 100' of 5mm line, water, T-P, stone, rifle ammo, notepad.

On my belt is my large knife, pistol, sometimes water, rifle ammo.  In my pocket is another knife, swiss or folder, pen, maybe some loose ammo.

Around my neck is the rangefinder.  First aid kit's in the vehicle

900F

mr mom View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2003 at 11:55
 hey spot: find an old boy scout book> they show how to make a bunch of diffrent shelters from stuff around you.
mr mom
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2003 at 11:08

CB,

When you take a pack what kind of equipment do you carry for making a shelter?  Tarps are always to big, and them emergency blankets look to flimsy to do much. 

Spot

CB900F View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Honor, Integrity

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2003 at 09:45

Spot;

Out in this neck o' the woods, the wind'll kill you faster than the water.  Wind protection, especially in hunting season, can literally be a life & death factor.  An afternoon temp of 80f followed by an overnight low of 0 is not at all unheard of.  Combine that with a steady west wind of 20 mph gusting to 40 & if you  are not prepared for it, you can die of it.

When you hunt the mountains, you either KNOW, without any doubt at all, that you can get back to the camp or truck, or take the full pack with you.  No ifs, ands or buts.

900F

Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2003 at 13:26

If I'm out and in a rough spot I like to make a shelter on a south facin side hill.  Hopelly on a flat spot (it's a bear wakin up screamin while you roll down hill, not to mention it scares the hell out of the critters around).  Anyway, I put pine bow's under me, or somethin to keep me off the ground a bit.  then as much insulation and wind break as I can on top.  Try to keep out of the area's where run off occurs, and away from things thet could fall on me.    What other ways are good?

Spot

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic