The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedRenting horses / mules for a hunt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2003 at 13:06
I milked them enough. Got so I can't satnd the smell of cow sh*@. Over 5 yrs ago I let a friend use my trailer to haul some calves to a sale. I can still smell them.
Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
SelwayPacker View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2003 at 05:02
I figger SS's got a good excuse for hatin' cows, but Mule's just sore there ain't no more bison.
saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2003 at 05:18

Well if Mule wants excitement, there is a big ranch down south that rasies those furry critters. One big old bull has been lose now for a few years running in National Forest. He ain't too frendly and will track you with his nose until he finds you if you are in his teritory. He sure as heck spooks the mule when he comes crashing out of the brush. We always leave the country pretty fast when that happens. I don't neccesarily want to go, but the mule has a bigger vote than me in those circumsatnces.

Those stinky cows. When I was a yougin, we actually went to a one room school for 7th grade. It had the typical pot belly stove loaded with coal. All us farm kids would always have to sit in back away from the stove because the city kids said we stunk like cows when our coats got warm. The only time I got a chance to be warm was when I had to stoke the fire and carry coal. None of the city kids knew how to do it. If the fire went out at night I had to start it with corncobs and a little bit of kerosene.

I had my head buried in a cows flank too darn long. I might chase them to run them over a barbeque pit. Don't care to be involved in any more preg test either.

Course beef must not be all that bad . Couple million coyotes can't be wrong. I sure feel sorry for the ranchers in the wolf re introduction areas.

Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2003 at 10:11
You wouldn't feel so sorry fer 'em if you saw what I saw las' weekend.  20 mile into the mountings, where there ain't 'sposed to be no permits, 'bout 30 cows loungin' in a meadow.  Big cow pancakes layin' in elk country.  Grass cropped to the roots for miles.  Big dusty mess in one park after another.  An' that was yer backcountry!  Yeah, right.  I say bring on the lupus to keep them bovines in check!

Edited by Muleskinner
Mule
Spot shooter View Drop Down
Left BSB in Disgrace
Left BSB in Disgrace

Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2003 at 10:18

Hell Paint'em black an let texan's shoot em fer buffalo.

If you missed this one joke you got to read it now.

Get Away From my Deer!

It was Saturday morning and Jake, an avid hunter, woke up ready to go bag the first deer of the season. He walks down to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee, and to his surprise he finds his wife, Alice, sitting there, fully dressed in camouflage. Jake asks her, “What are you up to?” Alice smiles, “I'm going hunting with you!” Jake, though he has many reservations, reluctantly decides to take her along.

They arrive at the hunting site. Jake sets his wife safely up in the tree stand and tells her: “If you see a deer, take careful aim on it and I'll come running back as soon as I hear the shot.” Jake walks away with a smile on his face knowing that Alice couldn't bag an elephant -- much less a deer.

But not 10 minutes pass when he is startled as he hears an array of gunshots. Quickly, Jake starts running back. As Jake gets closer to her stand, he hears Alice screaming, “Get away from my deer!” Confused, Jake races faster towards his screaming wife. And again he hears her yell, “Get away from my deer!” followed by another volley of gunfire.

Now within sight of where he had left his wife, Jake is surprised to see a cowboy, with his hands high in the air. The cowboy, obviously distraught, says, “Okay, lady, okay!You can have your deer! Just let me get my saddle off it!”

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2003 at 02:52

Trouble is , Mule,  the wolf makes no distinction between elk or beef. Those are your elk they are eating. And the wolf doesn't know where national forest ends and ranch property begins. The PETA folks love them.

I have been in meadows like you describe and they stink like cow dung. Not my favorite smell. I figure the rancher has to take the good with the bad on Govt. allotments, but shouldn't have to put up with them on thier own land. Every calf is worth maybe $300-$400 come fall. That's  a pretty hefty bite out of your paycheck, when you are barely able to make ends meet.

Saddlesore
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2003 at 09:35
Maybeso them sciencetific fellers can gineticully injuneer a wolf thet only has a taste fer stray bovine flesh.....and maybe hippie backpacker chicks what don't shave their armpits an' legs.
Mule
SelwayPacker View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2003 at 09:53
I figger Mule if they can develop a wolf strain that only eats skunks, porkypines, gophers, mice, housecats, grain-fed coons, grasshoppers, army worms, flies, mesquitos, llamas, and white-tail deer that's inhabited mule deer country... then I'm all for the wolf.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2003 at 01:49
Dang MUle, You just brought back some real ugly memories with that hippie back packer chick remark. YUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!
Saddlesore
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic