The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Head for the Hills! > Camping, Hiking and Backpacking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Topic ClosedDon’t put yer head over the horses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
aka Keeper of the Old Traditions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2003 at 07:33

I've used a nerve line in the past, and co-incidently, usually on thorobreds, at the race tracks. It seems to be pretty effective. Putit on, and give the horse a minute or so to think about it.

I think it puts thier brain to sleep.

waksupi View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2003 at 07:34
By the way, a colt acting like that, makes awful good dog food.
SelwayPacker View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2003 at 09:12
Yeah, I'm glad I didn't want him.  The breeder is purdy proud of his horses... he wanted $3,500 for him.  He was dreaming.  Purdy expensive dog food.  There's too many good horses around to have to put up with a problem horse. 
Muleskinner View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
AKA The Crotchety ol’ Geezer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2003 at 02:33
Yeah, I'm headin' to the high stonies tommorrer mornin'.  Bo's first loaded trip.  He's packin' our sleepin' bags an' pads, an' such light bulky stuff.  Tonk's still lamed up.  He's stayin' home alone.  Hope he don't re-injure hisself.  Feed the dam things for 9 months an' then they git busted up for the 3 usin' months.  He may end up as Alpo yet.  I never heard of the twine thing.  Course, where I'm from, a farrier won't mess with a colt that ain' t had the proper trainin' early on.  I fiddle with my horses' feet when they're still on the tit.  Got 'em atwixt my legs by 6 months.  Bort Bo as a weanling.  He's been trimmed an' rasped several times in a year an' 1/2.  I clean a critter's feet when ever I got him out even if I know he don't have no rocks in his frog.  When I was shoein' for my meals, I tolt folks it ain't my job to train yer horse, an' I charged by the foot, not the head.  If I got fed up, one too many yanks or rears, I took my leave an' gave 'em a card for a trainer.  Not worth gettin' busted up over.  Folks gotta take horse ownership serious, or I got no use fer 'em.
Mule
waksupi View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2003 at 03:34

More people need to break and handle thier horses. There are too many of those back yard lawn ornaments that never have thier feet picked up, unless a farrier does it.

It was an extra fifty bucks if I got out the leg rope.

saddlesore View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2003 at 05:45

I just walked away. Too much of a chance of getting laid up from one kick, and stopping the money flow.

A lot of vets, as they get older, switch to small animals fro the same reason

Saddlesore
If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic