The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Birds and Bird Dogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

turkey hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: turkey hunting
    Posted: 10 May 2022 at 14:39
just got back home.   got to my blind at 5 am.

after 2+ hours called in a large jake, passed.  minutes later called in another large bird, small beard.  Great day sat in same place for 7+ hours...fun.  lots of nature to see.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 14:54
Did you harvest the second one?

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 08:55
Just watched him and enjoyed the action.

“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 20:30
I get that. If you would have shot him your season would be over. Assuming you can only get one turkey.
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 07:39
Actually I can get a 2nd bird for a $26 fee.  but with turkeys down, I don;t think any hunter should shoot two birds.  responsibility?
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 07:48
We are not known for turkeys and on my side of the state they are still kind of far and few between.
BUT on Lizards side of the Rockies you can get up to 12 tags a year each.Clap
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 07:15
fun to call them in.....messing with their bird brain
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 21:31
The fun of turkey hunting is in the CALLING & Waiting part....watching them come in & do their "thing" like the strut & fanning of tail feathers and sometimes even attacking the decoy like it was a real bird.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 07:07
You got that right IBD.  shooting is secondary.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 03:17
Well, eye surgery means no rifles/shotguns, so yesterday got out at 4 am and went to a remote ridge hunting the big birds.

Calling only is allowed, and that is my favorite way to hunt them.  I know there are turkeys on that ridge, I kill one there most years.

Well, called till noon, not a single answer.  Toms must have given up on sex!  I'd figure this latein the season, all the hens would be on nest, and not interested.  But, I felt that would make the toms like a single guy in a bar at closing time......any port in a storm.   Not so!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 09:58
Aahh, memories of my bar hopping days.

How much longer does your season last?
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 10:10
ends on May 31.

Actually, spring turkey hunting is one of my favorites (excepting antelope).

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 10:55
 I hope you can get out every day that you have left.

I agree, Antelope hunting has become my favorite season.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:03
Originally posted by Wing master Wing master wrote:

I agree, Antelope hunting has become my favorite season.

COYOTE!!! is my all time favorite 
antelope is second
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 11:32
Problem with eastern 'otes is 'cover'.  too much of it!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2022 at 16:35
I didn't get out hunting coyotes much this winter. only a couple of times. 

I really need to work on that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic