The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Handguns, Pistols and SixGuns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Ruger revolver 45 long colt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2022 at 11:11
Humm I'll look.
I have SOOO much to learn.
And I have yet to shoot it.
We have molds for 239 gr and 193 gr bullets and a .452 sizer. blue dot, red dot, and 2400 powder. and 120 brass. 
As soon as the boy gets back from playing with the alligators, doing fire work in the glades. we will start to put something together, I hope.
Is there a way to put a holographic on it?

Edited by d4570 - 02 February 2022 at 11:14
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2022 at 11:55
The older one, not easy  need to remove rear sight and drill and tap.  Not sure on the recent ones.  Can mount weaver base and go from there.

there are a few mounts that fit the rear sight hole and then 'clamo on' to the frame.  

On our 44 mags we had them drilled and tapped for 4 screws.  this does change the resale value (unless sold to a hunter).

“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2022 at 18:54
I must have missed it. What gun is it? 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2022 at 18:56
Ruger red hawk 45 LC
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2022 at 19:00
Ok. I think you're going to like it. And its easier to load than a Black Hawk. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2022 at 09:28
Sorry I thought it was a blackHawk.  My comments might not apply.  The Black Hawk is  single action; while the redhawk is double action.  Have a Red Hawk in 41 mag. and a BlackHawk in 357.

The RedHawk uses Moon clips for the 45 acp and uses the same cylinder for the 45 LC and the 45ACP.  So I don't know what the extra cylinder is for??
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2022 at 10:02
OK I have been wrong before Hahaha.
 It is in fact a "Black Hawk" single action.
The two Cylinders have a ledge, ring in side at different depth, I guessing that makes the difference in colt and auto. 
But a auto bullet is .451 and a colt is .454 correct?
The rear sight looks like it is held in by a Pin not screws. It is a 5.5" barrel the # is New Model, 48-53XXX the look up says it is not in production and was "Shipped in 2012.
Looks like fun project.Big smile

Edited by BEAR - 04 February 2022 at 08:48
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2022 at 20:30
It will be interesting to see if you hunt with it. 

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2022 at 08:50
Sounds like a Super Black Hawk (SBH).  good gun,  with the heavy built frame it will take heavy loads.  Should look nice reside the 45-70.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2022 at 09:21
WinkI have not shot the 45/70 in a lot of years.
I should one day.
I do plan to hunt something with the colt, Not sure what yet. I'm a bad shot with a hand canon but maybe I'll do a red dot and see if that will help.
I have a dot I would just need the mount on the gun. 140 brass should get me started?
All my other guns I like to have 300 plus. the 6 I keep 300 loaded and 300 prepped. I only have around 350 in all for the 8mm, some are 375 H&H re shaped. Funny I can get them but not 8mmRM.
Now that I have an '06 I guess I'll have to start looking for it too.Shocked
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2022 at 18:14
That's a good start but I don't think theirs such a thing as too much ammo or brass. 
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2022 at 09:19
Brass is like Oreo cookies .   You always need an equal number of cookies and milk.

Brass has to be equal to primers, and bullets.

Oreo Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies, 1 - 17 Oz Family Size Packages, Size: 17 fl oz
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2022 at 14:21
What hunting range is the .45 Colt good for with heavy Blackhawk loads?

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2022 at 15:19
?????????????? 
anyone else?Confused
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2022 at 23:11
daily....yes!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2022 at 11:08
Dad has had a S&W 25 45LC for a number of years. We have not shot it very much, therefore, not loaded much for it. It is a factory mis-stamped pistol, it's marked Model 57, which was a 41Mag. He bought it years ago as a collector so it never got shot much. I have loaded some light plinkers for it using Unique and some 255 casts and JHP and 2400 I think. In a strong pistol, which the Blackhawk is about the strongest made, you can really push a 45LC. 
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2022 at 18:05
I went out and shot it today.
I shot 225's, 255's and 250's they, were cowboy loads and all factory loads. I don't know what kind of bullets but all lead. The CB where round nose, the other looked like a crayon that were 1/2 wore off.
I shot steel at 10 yards 5 sizes from 8" to 3".
I hit every time. properly 30 shots.
I shot a target at 100 yards and hit the 2'x3' backer every time and the printer paper target about half the time. Then some ice on the creek and a dirt bank at 93 yards seamed to hit about where I was aiming. 60 shot and I was very happy. Factory iron sights and the last 30 where off my rifle shooting sticks.
A red dot will be cool on it I'm sure.
I'm thinking a bunch of gophers will die...Clap
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2022 at 08:23
The reduced loads make shooting heavy caliber, much more accurate.  My 44, and 357 seldom see full loads except for whitetail.

congratulations. D
788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2022 at 09:30
To close one question, with the short barrel, I limit my shots to 30-35 yard or so.  That's where I was comfortable and know the gun will hit in the heart/lungs with iron sights.  I know a lot of guys who are hunting with a 7 1/2" tube that will routinely shoot to 100 yards with optics.  Way beyond my comfort zone.  Stay safe.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2022 at 10:18
One yee doesn't work any longer, the other is just poor.

So I have scopes on most of my pistols, wish I could use iron sights, easier to carry, simpler to get into action.

My hand cannon, 375, can and hss easily make whitetaail deer, one shot kills out to 150 yards.  That is using a waalking stick rest.  Gun could do better.

357 is limited to 50 yards on one shott kills.  The 44 can do 90+.

Sighting equipment is limited by eyesight and hold.  But the magnum handguns usually have enough power and accuracy for much farther.

Limit is me not the guns, or sights.

25 years ago (gosh, that seems like a long time ago) I had a 44 mag Ruger Super Black hawk witha 10 inch barrel.  With moderate hand loads shootin cast lead  semi-wadcutters, it was a 100 yard gun with open sights.  My eye would never let me do that today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic