The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Handguns, Pistols and SixGuns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Ruger revolver 45 long colt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger revolver 45 long colt
    Posted: 29 January 2022 at 09:40
OK now I have two pistols.
I have had a phoenix arms 22 semi for a Long time.
But I just acquired a 45 long colt.
I have never even fired one, but it looks cool.
Anyway we have some 45 dies to cast bullets I'll try.
What would be a good starting style and weight?
I'm guessing it will be for plinking but will use it for hunting as needed. Powder?
I found some once fired brass and ordered 200 to start with, kinda pricy right now and new is mostly nonexistent.

Confused Anyway I now have another rabbit hole to slide in to.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2022 at 09:50

Don’t try anything smaller than .452” 

.452-454 are for the Colt, .451 is for acp.

250-255gr is the standard. I shoot fairly light. Depending on the gun they can run with the .44 magnum.

7.7gr Unique and 6.1 Trailboss are my loads. 

DD
Endeavor to persevere.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2022 at 09:53
I've had a ruger  Blackhawk for about 52 years, great gun.  One whitetail with it (357).

I found that I just wanted one load for everything.  The semi-wadcutter is accurate and very good of hunting.  If 'traditional looks matter, then you want a 255 gr round nose.  For fun and allround  plinking and rabbits, etc   225 wad cutter would be my choice.  lighter recoil and less richochettes (bouncing).
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
deaddog View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
*AKA The Flying Gun*

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deaddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2022 at 10:42

Someone was shooting gophers at one of the first MYGAWDS with a .45LC.

Edited by deaddog - 29 January 2022 at 10:50
Endeavor to persevere.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2022 at 11:48
I remember that, was it a friend of our biker friend?  or was it you???

adequate for   smaller gophers!
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2022 at 12:46
If I remember right it was Montana Madness buddy that was shooting gophers with a .45 LC. I never saw a gopher that was hit but I'm sure he had enough gun to kill one if he was able to hit it. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2022 at 12:56
Originally posted by deaddog deaddog wrote:

Don’t try anything smaller than .452” 

.452-454 are for the Colt, .451 is for acp.

250-255gr is the standard. I shoot fairly light. Depending on the gun they can run with the .44 magnum.

7.7gr Unique and 6.1 Trailboss are my loads. 

DD

Good to know
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2022 at 13:04
Good memory Wing.

our software shows it has been 11 years since Montana Madness was on this site??????
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2022 at 17:34
Wow. It doesn't seem like it's been that long. 

I'm really testing my memory here but the guy with the .45 went by the name of "Hard Tack". I think he was also a member here for a short time. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2022 at 08:11
Good memory...Hardtack.  had only one post here in April 2010.  Back then we had everyone join BSB to attend MYGaWs.

That was the trip were a friend of Jim's wheel came off in a remote field....found the lug nuts and put it back on!   No gophers att that place, I seem to remember MontanaMadness  found that spot.

someplace there is a group pic that year in Ft. Bento at "Shep" statue.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2022 at 20:33
You're right Bear. I think I have that picture. I'll look for it. 

When Jim's friends wheel came off it wasn't a total loss. I remember IBD feeding us a bunch of summer sausage and cheese curds. That's the only time I have ever had fresh cheese curds. They were a lot better than the ones I have found around here. 

Great times.

Wing master
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2022 at 21:20
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2022 at 21:22
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2022 at 21:24
Sorry to derail your thread D4570
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 11:15
How did we do all that stuff in 2 days and still kill hundreds of gophers????

must have been younger???
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2022 at 20:10
Only thing missing in the photo is the number boards and a police lineup would be complete!

Buddy at work has a Ruger 45LC. Modern Ruger's will handel as hot as you can load stuff up to Cassul levels. He runs 255 gr. hardcasts at cowboy action levels and some stoked well past .44 mag speeds running hot. It digests them all quite nicely.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2022 at 07:49
Thumbs UpThumbs UpClap
788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2022 at 07:48
I have a BH with the 4 5/8" tube on it that is my go to gun for being in the field.  It is an older one with both cylinders.  For hunting, I run a 255gr Keith on top of 16 grains of 2400.  It bangs good.  For fun, I'll put the ACP cylinder in and run whatever I have for ammo through it.  It's also a great way to burn up ACP round that don't work well in the 1911.  The other nice thing is that when I'm working outside during certain seasons, the LC cylinder takes the shot shells in case I happen to run into a "friend" that slithers.  

It rides in a Mernickle PS6SA, usually worn cross draw.

Stay safe.  788
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2022 at 08:30
HUMM
I think this one has a longer barrel.
It has two cylinders but they look identical.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2022 at 08:47
Just thoughts.

Ruger made most models with two cylinders that interchange.  One is for 45LC the other for 45ACP.  Like 788 said.

They look identical from the out side.  BUT the chambers are dufferent.  the LC has a cut for the rim.  the 45 acp seats on the case mouth, so no rim cut and there is a ridge aabout 1/2" down the inside of the chamber to seat on the case mouth>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic