The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Finally we got out and did some calling. - Event Date: 06 June 2022 - 08 June 2022

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Finally we got out and did some calling.
    Posted: 22 November 2021 at 09:53
The general season for deer in several areas north of town closed last weekend. Still waterfowl and birds but most hunters are after deer and elk else were.
That translates in my head as COYOTE HUNTING!
Clap
The wind has been way higher then normal for even here, every day some up to 90 mph, bad news for calling.
I search the NOAA sight every day looking for wind or lack of it. I found a spot that it would be call able but only to around 10 AM. So we made a plan that when we get blowen out we would hit the Lake and try pass shooting geese.
We get there in the dark and our "Wind station" a string on the antenna of the truck was limp cool even better. We set up and wait till we could see through our scope. Called there was coyotes howling in every direction, nice. It has been three years since we herd or seen coyotes in this area, for what ever reason.
No bog came to play but we had mule deer pushing does 2o yards from us, fun to watch. Onward the wind day was burning. Set after set coyotes every were most never gave a shot but one came from over a mile and popped up in front of me at under 50 yards. The 22/250 went off as planed and the dog flipped end for end. We went to look. well there is a one hundred dollar bill laying there ripped end to end. I hit dead center chest and it cam out center back bone where the neck joins and ripped him open to the tail. no fur there.
More sets more coyotes running everywhere. One set 4 came from 4 different directions must have been neighbors and 3 would not cross the boundary lines one did. The boys 204 wen off and it died. We had little hope for fur it looked like a Mexican hairless,Ouch BAD mange. We did not get close we both have cats at home and did not want to bring it home to them.
The wind never came up and we called to dark.
WHAT a fun day, dogs every set killed two, Frigging fun man...

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2021 at 08:55
sounds great.  just getting them to come in is a good day.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2021 at 08:09
That sounds like a lot of fun!!
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 21:11
Sounds like a great day. I miss your coyote stories. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2021 at 12:10
and pics!
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2021 at 15:16
Another one.
We found a spot that the forecast was for light snow and light wind.
BUT to keep the forecasters on there toes Montana weather is like a woman reaching "That age"
We drove 140 miles in a full blowen blizzard.
Snow drifting across the highway and 14*.
We kept going on the promised forecast.
We get to our first planed set a little before we could see to shoot. 20 mph wind 4" snow on the ground, not what you would call calling weather, but we where whew and you cant kill them sitting on you couch at home. We head off in to the wind, snow and darkness to a point on our GPS that said we where on the edge of a HUGE brake. As the belated arrival of day brake came we could see it was in fact a very large brake. The wind was sideways and hard and cold the snow was building fast. Great day we hit the caller, volume on full and the auxiliary speaker linked. I had my 22/250 and the boy had his 12 gauge. Twelve minutes in I hear the report of his gun I looked over my right shoulder to see a dead coyote 50 yards from him and 75 from me. We let the call play for about ten more minutes. What a surprise.
We did another 5 set that did not produce but even in that wind we had responses we could hear.
Totally wrung out we gave up and went home.
We  got one!!!Big smile
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2021 at 15:54
seems I emembe a sbs Atv was the goal???
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2021 at 21:05
It would have been easy to stay home. I'm glad you didn't

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2021 at 23:35
Nice story but sounds like pretty tuff/cold weather to be out it.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2021 at 07:45
Cold it was not to bad the 30 mph wind sucked.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic