The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Shotguns, Shotgun Ammunition and Shotshell Reloading
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Stoeger M3500 mishap/The fix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stoeger M3500 mishap/The fix
    Posted: 30 November 2021 at 18:38
It helps that chuckars fly like a helicopter, vertical rise, then a puase to shift gear to forward, then a slow acceleration...Bang hit them when they are shifting gears
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 12:58
   Bear,
   Once in the 1970's in the Salmon River Breaks of Idaho, with my two Griffons on point, I shot 5 for 5 chukars with my Remington 1100 in 20 gauge.  Luckily they all didn't come up at once.  Five rounds and an automatic were good that time.
   (grandpa, tell me about the good old days)
Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 12:29
When I got my 1100, it took me 2 trips afield to understand that any bird that flew up had 3 shots fired at it!  another reason I sold it.

Once i kicked up a covey of chukars, using my 3 shot 870 20 ga I shot three then grabbed a shell reloaded and got a 4th.  Taking your natural rhythm and not tryng to do a speed record, one can get 'er done.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 10:32
I think a BUG recoil gun is not a good candidate to be an auto. Only one MAYBE two shots are on target. The rest are just shot in to the air...
I know that's the case with my Stoeger Once, twice, the third if your shooting fast is a wasted shell.
On a pump like you say when your "Pumping" you can get back on target. All that said I try not to shoot the same target all three times, as to re aim on to another target, so my shots are not as fast as I can pull the trigger. You cant "walk" in a twelve gauge on a moving bird, maybe a running coyote.
I did one time kill 4 coyotes with 5 shots all the same time with the 870 but MAN they can cover 30 yards fast...

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 09:31
A million years ag I started loading roll crips, they worked fine.  In those days cases were paper with a w coating.  You could also add hot wax to the case.   seems the "star" crip came in just as plastic case were starting.  I added a step to my reloader (Dietmeyer) and then did star crimps on both plastic and paper.

In 1965 I got an 1100 Rem when they first came out.  It was my goose gun, and digested everything... but after 3 years I traded in for an 870 pump gun.  still have that 870.  I like the extra movement of pumps; lets be get back into a shooting rhythum.

RE: auto and cold.  A friend just ordered a Bennelli 338 mag auto rifle, strictly a very cold/wet Alaska brown bear rifle..  I've never thought of auto firearms as good for hunting dangerous game.  any thoughts on that???
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 08:01
That's what I'll have to do to use them up.
The boy and his wife have pumps too they can help.
We all have new autos all different brands the same condition occurs.
I'll start loading roll crimp from here on out.
 I did find I can work the hulls a little and use once fired crimp hulls. The roller needs a nice smooth and flat lip, a tiny bit of trimming and a heat gun makes them work. After you fire a roll crimp you either have to trim it to a 2 3/4 hull or toss it.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2021 at 07:49
Use them in a 870 pump if it has the same chamber.  Autos can be fussy.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2021 at 15:30
OK I did 15 shells same load but roll crimped.
I went out and tried them. First I shot 3 of the fold crimp it took two tries to fire them.
The next 15 were rolled and fired as fast as I could pull the trigger. Then I tried 3 of the fold same as the first took multiple times to get them to fire. Same load same hull same every thing other then the crimp.
My 870 eats the fold crimps like nothing.
Is the crimp just puffing out the hull stopping it from going all the way in on the auto the pump must stuff them in?
I mic them there is a one MM different in the loaded hull.

Dang I have 500 loaded with the crimp.Shocked
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2021 at 11:08
Nope!
Still an issue they don't always fire, hammer hits but no mark on the primer.
I'm thinking a reloading issue. Maybe the "Bolt" is not closing all the way and not locking stopping the hammer before striking the firing pin.

Like maybe the hull is to fat sometimes.
As in to much stuff inside. The brass is resized to under Saami specks but no way to size the plastic.
The pump guns have no problem you can slam it shut never a miss with them.
It happens with new and used hulls.
I'm going to do some with a roll crimp.
There in no "Push Down" with that so the hull should not get swished. It takes a lot longer to roll but if they work I'll do it. I do it now with my coyote loads, I have not tried shooting a bunch of them to see if they all fire, there a LOT more $$$ to load and even more labor.
I hope this works.Ouch

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2021 at 12:00
OK here is the thing.
After an hour or so of cleaning, polishing, and dry lube/graphite. I reassembled the M3500. 
Went out today for a test. it was not 14* but around 32*.
I had a bunch of asst shells and a 8"log to shoot at.
Everything from 3 1/2 mag steel to 2 1/2 -3/4oz lead.
I pulled the plug and loaded 5 to 6 mixed shells.
I paced off 45 yards and set the log down standing up.

Pulled the gun up, it felt good, took normal shotgun aim and let it rip.
As fast as I could pull the trigger. Never missed a beat. In fact it shot faster then I could recover from the last. The next load I put the stock up against the side of my tire, sounded like a full auto, in a blink of an eye 5 hulls hit the ground. It shoots as fast as my 10/22. Being an inertia activated gun not gas operated. I was surprised it shot the at all.
You can't hit much shooting like that. the next 3 loads I shot like I was trying to hit the log. TO bad I could not shoot like that when I was blasting at swan, there would be dead swan. I destroyed the log to kindling wood.
NEVER MISSED A BEAT.
25 shells I hope I fixed the problem so far it looks good.ClapClap

Edited by d4570 - 03 November 2021 at 15:08
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 17:19
Yes! A Benelli knock off.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 17:17
Is that a turkey made shotgun???
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 17:10
Swan hunting is a draw, permit, only 500 given in the pacific  flyway in the state. I had one, there going through right now, and the water is freezing up. All that said, time is limited. I was out Monday, 1000's of  swan, tundra and trumpeters flying.
Unfortunately the new stoeger will not always fire in 14* and most the time would only fire once and malfunction. Short story no swan, the red dot stopped working too and I had to field strip it off and guess shoot.

TODAY

I was in the shop with a can of starting spray, (ether) and my big compressor.
WOW I should have had this done BEFORE it got 14*.
I took it completely apart and sprayed and blew every part. Then when completely dry I dusted it all with powdered graphite. Lot of grease and goo came off most the parts.
I them used rubbing compound on a brush and a pad turned by my drill. I buffed for a LONG time the a coat of carnauba car wax, then cleaned the barrel and chamber, smooth as a baby's butt now.
I plan to go shoot 40/50 "Junk" shotgun shells through it in the morning, it won't be 14* but it should be in the low 20's.
I took the stock off and changed the shims to let it tip down more and let me do a good cheek weld for the bead, Hoping for the best...Confused

I will be really pisted, if I miss a coyote this winter.

Edited by d4570 - 03 November 2021 at 15:07
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic