The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, didn't

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coulda, woulda, shoulda, didn't
    Posted: 02 November 2021 at 07:35
Ouch
5:00 am. 14* dense lake fog. We push the mud boat off the trailer after braking the ice off the shore.
Three miles to what we call the Land bridge.
It's a high spot ( low spot ) where the lake splits in to to lakes when the water is low. Right now it's covered with 4" of water, when the wind blows you can see the dirt in-between the waves. You HAVE to hit it just right and as fast as you can or your pushing. We can grind through but its slow and noise. We where after swan, I had a permit. The lake had over a thousand tundra and trumpeters using it as they pass through. there is 11,000 snows' in the area and gobs of mallards, buffleheads, and honkers. Needles to say the trip in the fog was eventful. With the aircraft landing lights we have on the boat the birds did not know what to do most just spread far enough for us to go by. I considered just reaching out and grabbing a big trumpeter by the neck. Then re thought, a 30 pound bird with an 84" wing span feet as big as a small bear and going 20 mph in a boat only five feet wide fully alive...

Anyway we arrived and set the swan, snow geese, and honker, decoys.
Set in the frozen mud till sunup. 
The breeze can up and blew the fog right on us.
You could here the birds fly by but could not see them and they could not see the decoys.
When the fog would lift a little I would get some shots I was having some problems with my Stoeger not wanting to fire or put in a new shell.
I guess I need to pull it a part and hose it out with starting fluid and use dry lube.
Then my red dot stopped working and it was only 9:00 am. I took it off and was using the bead. 
Another Problem, to use the red dot I had to use shims on the stock to rase my head up to see through the red dot, Now it was way to high to use the bead well.
TWO boxes of shells and MANY swans flying over but non splashed in to the now freezing lake.
I did by accident I'm sure get two honkers a Buff and a green head.
At noon the lake was getting very hard and we figured we had better pick up and blast back over the bridge and go home wail we still could.
Fun day lots of shooting, but I'm over it now. Time to shoot more deer...Confused

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 10:56
"TWO boxes of shells"  getting to be expensive meat!
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 12:06
Tag soup is expensive!Dead
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 15:58
Didn't hunt today.  put 4 new wheels and tires on my boat trailer.  snow/rain  34  oF  .

just like changing 4 flats on a mud field.

Rob Roy    (3 oz scotch ` 1 oz sweet vermouth)  now!

Tomorrow is roof gutter day, leaf away.

exhausted.  left my cell phone home....olde fart disease!

Edited by BEAR - 02 November 2021 at 17:15
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 16:11
"olde fart disease!"
What did you say, I forgot to put in my hearing aids today...Embarrassed
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 17:15
LOL
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 17:25
what was wrong with the red dot....batteries???? cold??
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 17:27
The "DOT" moved shooting WAY off.
I did not have time or place to re set it.
 Had to keep shooting at swans.
I'm going to leave it off for birds.Confused
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2021 at 17:40
I worked and did wood till dark...I wish I had your problems...
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 08:24
Swans and snows are gone, lakes are freezing every night, swan season is still on but the opportunity is past. Maybe next tag...
I got the stoeger polished up and it will shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. I put the proper shims back on the stock for "bead" shooting. I'm going to go with that for coyote season. I would hate to miss a bunch of $100 coyotes. I'll put it back on when the fur is crap and practice on $0 dollar coyotes.Clap

Still may do some river honker hunting wail calling dog with the boat...
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2021 at 16:18
Let me know if  spring/winter 'ote hnt is possible.  Have plastic wiil travel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic