The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

The way it went down

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The way it went down
    Posted: 24 August 2021 at 21:27
I was up before daylight, duffle bag was stuffed with the essentials. Three bottles of ice coffee, water, sandwich, Frog togg jacket, it did get down to 45*.
Ground pounder coyote seat, shooting sticks, shooting muffs, bino's and rangefinder Ammo, ammo for the backup gun, you know all the essentials. Lizard comes rolling up right on time.
Load up and off we went heading NW to the BIG town, prairie dog town that is. About 90 minutes and we are parking on the side of the road and looking down the 300 foot vertical elevation change to the old river bottom.
WE grab our stuff climb over the fence and descend in to the Field of dreams. We could see them roaming like cattle as far as you could see. 
On a little elevated mound we lay out the equipment. Take the Bino's and scan to out left, to our right and dead in front. It was as much as a p dog shooter could dream of. Prairie dog hills as far as the glass could see and every mound had 5 dog standing on the mounds. I muttered to my self " we're going to need more bullets".
We went to work Lizard took the first shot plop first shell first death, and so it went. It went on for hours, we would shoot and seven more dogs would stand up, way out numbering us. We sure gave it a gallant try but after the LAST to shot we had, our final kills, we look over the carnage with no remorse. Seemingly more prairie dogs stand then when we got there. Four hours shooting with only brakes to let the guns cool and no notable affect.
Tired and sore we start are assent back to the truck. Our feet where heavy our lungs burning, but the packs where lighter by 200 shells, the 42 minute walk/ clime was full of talk of some of the great shots and the fun try of trying to get Doubles, and the mist gimmy shots. It was just about as much as two old P doggers could take.

A little side note out here we are in the midst of a population explosion of Prairie dogs, more dogs that I have EVER seen in 50 years of shooting them...

Note to self bring more bullets.

Edited by d4570 - 24 August 2021 at 21:30
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 21:51
wow.........and I had to miss it this year of all years! Great report!
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 07:12
DANG IBD
Baring the plague or a big weather event they should be there for next year.
Gives you more time to load bullets.Ouch
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 07:33
Congratulations.  who made the longest shot, you or Lizard???

Loading up bullet right now.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 08:27
This trip out we did not shoot many over 350 yards.
This trip I got the only DBL , I think. Lizards kill ratio was a lot better then mine. I still killed a lot.
Last trip out Lizard got three DBL's I do believe.
We did three trips this year and killed several hundred P dogs, been a good year.Clap

MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 11:00
Jealous!!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 11:05
"Jealous!!"

Luck of the draw, dang it.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 13:23
Remember to leave "breeding stock'.

Some friend of Wing's shoots out the whole town!
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 14:07
No way no how could a seal team let alone TWO guys could "Shot" this town out...
Poison maybe or plague.
 We left plenty of bread stock and left a lot of food for the survivors and the area hawks and eagles maybe coyotes too. 

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 14:34
Is that the same place you took me to?  down a deep valley lined with mumbo gumbo?
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 15:51
Big smileYUP that's the one.Big smile
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2021 at 20:04
Sounds like a great day. Those don't come along every day. 

I'm glad you are taking advantage of the good population. 

Wing master

P.S If you take Bear out there only let him bring 1-200 rounds. I'm telling ya, He'll wipe them out. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2021 at 10:17
shooting with only one eye....not real likely.

me takem  1000 rounds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic