The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

My winters work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My winters work
    Posted: 28 March 2021 at 09:15
Well, it seems the worst of winter is over and with the nice weather we have had the last few weeks I have been able to get out to the range and do some shooting. I spent most of the winter researching and loading up the next best thing for the newest additions to the gun safe. This fall I added 4 new rifles to the mix counting the Hart rifle. I get out sporadically during the winter, but not a whole lot. Loading and shooting are my stress relief from life's trial and tribulations. I look for a new firearm just so I can develop a load for it, many I have will never see the woods. During this time of uncertainty I have slowed down on the load development some. I will dig another rifle out and try something new a lot of times, I will curtail that some, even though I have enough components to last 2 lifetimes, who knows how long this crisis will last. So here are a few pictures to pass a rainy morning.

This is the winner for my Hart rifle. I had a few loads that shot a little tighter, but the velocity wasn't where I wanted it. This load should shoot flat enough for anything I wanna do here in the east or out west. I tried this with Sierra's Hornady 139s, PPU 140s and Remington Core-Loct 140s. All of them shot under 1.25" or better. Also RL15 shoot to the same POI, but averaged slightly bigger groups, but still well under 1".

This is one of my bucket list rifles. It took a little work to get it to shoot even half-way decent. I took the barrel action off the stock and had to sand some tight spots. Once the barrel was free floated and the action screws torqued the groups shrunk...ALOT. Another issue with these rifles is the light barrels heat up fast and anything more than 3 shots open up. I have a few boxes of these discontinued 154gr RN that fit the 7 Mauser perfect, along with decades old H450. 

I love the BLR and a 284 is icing on the cake. This is surplus 4895 my Grampa had. It is quite a bit slower than current production 4895 and still shoots great. It is a prefect match in the shorter barreled BLR. This rifle will see the deer woods.

This rifle is not new. I have had it for 4 or 5 years and it shoots everything I have ever put down it fantastic. I bought a Rem 700Mtn rifle last fall, the older wood/blue "smooth bolt handle" model. It shoots well, but I took out the X-bolt one day and tried a load I made up for the Rem...well you see the results. I have decided to sell the Mtn Rifle, they are very desirable and I don't think anything I can do will make it shoot like the Browning. The Mtn rifles are very desirable and honestly I don't think I would hunt with it instead of this. 

This rifle is a little finicky. I had Jim Hart ream the throat so I can seat the bullets longer, it is a long action so no worries fitting in the magazine. I had some decent results with 120gr Rem Cor-lokt bullets also, but groups were very inconsistent. I equate that to bullet quality, the Sierra's are hard to beat in the accuracy to killing power matrix.  

Sorry for the long winded post, killing time this morning. 

Edited by MapleHill - 28 March 2021 at 09:33
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 10:14
"Sorry for the long winded post, killing time this morning. "

Not at all I hung on every word.
 Nice post.
  60* yesterday, today close to 70* but 50 mph wind, high fire alert.
The power went out last night for a short time.
I wanted to shoot some p dogs but It looks like NOT!!!
Keep us up on your "Winters" work.Clap

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 10:35
D, we are looking at wind and rain/snow for the next 5-7 days. Hi temps in the 40s to low 50s. This is to be expected, I remember still using snowshoes well into April. The 60s and near 70s were nice, but back to reality for a bit.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 14:30
Great post Maple.....good way to wile away the winter blues. Not at all too "windy" a post either. I happen  have two rifles in 7mm-08. A BLR-81 straight grip and an ancient Savage 110LH that was built with a Shaw bbl when the round was still a wildcat. All the brass for it is .308 Win case formed to 7-mm-08.

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 28 March 2021 at 14:30
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 16:10
Good looking rifle there, Maple.

Seems like you will be hooked on 7mm...a good thing.

my roberst doesn't shoot as good as your, but I like it.

when You head west this summer with the boys, my offer to buy linch or coffee in Erie Pa stands.  like to meet you.

Just got back from w. Ny an hour ago.  weather was great, sunny...then rain for 3 hours.

Be safe.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2021 at 09:36
IBD, I love the BLRs. My dad has had a 308 for decades, his #1 deer rifle. Lucky to find one in 284, they weren't real popular. 

Bear, I took alot of testing to find something my 257 liked. And it's still not very consistent with it, again, just once fired commercial brass, nothing special. I tried Superformance in it the other day and that shot very well. I'm gonna try it again and see if it is more consistent. I have a bunch of rifles that shoot 7mm bullets, never thought about it, but I guess I like em... If/when we head west I'll try to get ahold of you and see what our time frame is.
788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2021 at 12:40
My dad also uses a BLR in 308.  He had the barrel and stock shortened for a better fit for him.  I looked at one in 450 Marlin but passed.  It was a monster.  788
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic