The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Working up loads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Working up loads
    Posted: 22 February 2021 at 00:03
I'm revisiting my truck gun and working up a load with a heavier bullet. 

My question is, When you find a load that looks promising and start fine tuning it how much do you change the powder charge in each step?

I have always went .5 grains but it was suggested to me to go .3 grains. 

What do you do? I don't want to make too big of jumps and get bad feedback. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2021 at 06:51
The boy goes .5 at a time till he gets close to what he wants then .3 or .2
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2021 at 08:06
>5  because  powder is scarce.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2021 at 11:48
Thanks guys. 

I'm going to be loading my next test loads today. I found a really promising load and after I settle on a powder charge I'll start with seating depth. 

How big of changes in seating depth do you make at this point? How far from the lands do you usually find the best accuracy?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2021 at 12:21
It depends on the bullet type.
Barnes should be kept away from the lands.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2021 at 12:53
I start at .005 and work away at .005 increments.  5 shots with each step.

Remember as you seat further off the lands, you are seating deeper into yur powder capacity.  and that makes small changes in your accurate powder loadings.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 01:00
D4570

These are Sierra bullets. I remember us talking about Barnes. I have had good luck with Sierras loaded close to the lands but I have read a lot of people have different results. 

Wing master
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 01:09
Good point Bear. 

That's how I've done it in the past. So far with this load I have loaded them to what the book calls for. I'm sure they are a ways from the lands but I don't have a modified case for .223 to check that. I thought I would start there and do like with powder charge and start going closer to the lands and see what happens. I can get a modified case if I need to but I thought I would try that first. 

I guess if it doesn't help I can always seat them deeper and see what happens. 

Am I thinking right?

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 07:37
You can get a black marker and coat the front of a loaded (LONG) cartridge.  Chamber the round and the lands/grooves will scratch the bullet.  then back of the die till no marks show.  that is the zero range from which to measure the back oof.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 07:43
this works for all bullets and cartridges.
Been usuing one for 20 years.

could easily make one.  rod with two drill stops.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 16:10
I have a Stoney Point OAL gauge. I think it is a similar design. The thing is it uses an empty case with the base drilled and threaded to fit onto the tool. I just ordered a drill bit and odd sized tap so I can make my own modified cases from now on. 

Wing master
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 16:48
Wing,
  If I remember right, Hornady bought out Stoney Point, and the rights to that tool.
Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 07:30
Actually the Stoney point is simple and doesn't need those modified cartridges.  You drop a sized or loadded catridge into the chamber, and measure to the hase head.  then remove and drop a bullet into the chamber and measure how far it goes in.  that lets you calculate the case COL to hit the bore for that bullet.

The stoney point seems to JAMthe bullet into the lands to cause the bullet to move back in the case.  I think some subtraction is needed to compensate for the engraving by the 'jam'.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic