The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Shotguns, Shotgun Ammunition and Shotshell Reloading
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Winchester Xpert HV steel 3" hulls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winchester Xpert HV steel 3" hulls
    Posted: 01 February 2021 at 13:29
CAUTION: This post discusses loads or load data that may or may not be appropriate for your gun or for the cartridge(s) and components mentioned. Due to typos, variations in guns and components, and the abilities and judgment of users of this data, neither the writer, Handloadersbench.com, nor the staff of Handloadersbench.com assumes any liability for damage or injury resulting from using this information. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DUPLICATE THE DESCRIBED LOADS without first working them up from a published safe starting level charge while watching for pressure signs. If you don't know how to do that please don't try, for your own safety and the safety of others.

Winchester Xpert HV steel 3" hulls
I did not find any load information specific for them, what do they compare to?
I ran across a bunch of them 400ish free. I will load them with steel 490 gr of #B X#2 Duplex.
Right or wrong here is what I came up with.
In the Lyman #5 book of loads, I found ...
CSD wads, Fed 209a, 1 1/8 oz steel B shot, 36 gr steel powder.
Fits perfect. Crimps great.
In the book of Lyman, they have a cut in half picture of a Winchester poly formed, plastic Basewad that looks exactly like the ones I have. So I went with that. They call for a BPI ranger wad, but they have been discounted long ago. I used their CSD wads 1 1/8 oz steel wads. I'm about 80 fps under their published speed with the same load and charge.
I feel there is no problem shooting them. The ones I have tried sound and feel the same as any 1 1/8 1400 fps steel shell I shoot.
I ran it across my Magnetospeed and the average 1400 fps.
Outstanding pattern at 45 yards with an extra full choke in my 3500M Stoeger.
I'm shooting them in 3 1/2" chambers and their "Safe" presser ratings are far above a 3" chamber. I know from the speed I have to be in the right ballpark as far as safe presser.
I do like the way they load up and crimp. I normally use Rio 3" hulls but I can't get Rio primers Right now. I can get Feds. I have Nobel Sports, Fiocchi, Primers but there not the same size. The waterfowl season is over now maybe things will be closer to normal by fall...Bang head :banghead:​​​​​​​
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 13:37
spring gobler season is just a few months away.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2021 at 13:47
If the snow stays like it has all winter I may be able to HUNT them in the spring as well as bear, Bear.Big smile
Last 4 years the snow stays tight till mid to end of June.
You don't have to use steel on turkeys do you?
I load 3" #4s or 3 1/2 #6 for turkey and crane.

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 05:20
Just curious D, have you ever used all brass cases?
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 05:43
We have lots of turkeys.

Many guys use steel for the denser pattern.  I usually use 2 3/4 inch  1 oz  #6, or  my crossbow.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 06:17
I've resorted to primitive methods. Rake the mulch on the bedroom side of the house, leave window open but blinds shut. When they start purring outside while I'm trying to sleep, I just reach out nice and slow and grab one by the neck!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 07:08
"Just curious D, have you ever used all brass cases?"

I have some. I don't use them much, lot of work.
You have to glue a cover card on top.
I do use 300 gr copper clad aluminum slugs glued.
They look very impressive like a 72 caliber straight wall HP bullet.
They don't shoot as well as a 1 oz foster.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic