The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Birds and Bird Dogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Cliff diving turkeys ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cliff diving turkeys ?
    Posted: 10 January 2021 at 13:01
Yesterday we where on the cold river in the boat.
At one of our stops we saw a dozen turkeys fly up in to some cottonwood trees. That in its self was cool we have few turkeys.
This time of year ALL the large trees also have a bald eagle or two sitting in them, as did the trees the turkeys perched in.
That was not as bazar as what happened next. They took off one at a time flew across the 100 yard wide river to a shear dirt cliff may be 200 feet high, AND landed. and ran off side hill, every one took there turn then ran as fast as they could on the side of this cliff about 100 feet up from the water. we where not underway when they did it, so we where not scaring them. There running so fast big chunks of bentonite was braking off and rolling in to the water.
We had to go investigate, we pull up along side and paced them they ran a mile finally exhausted they just stopped and we slipped by. They were mostly toms and jakes, with a few hens. I think the reason they flew was the eagle threat but why to a cliff they certainly could flown to the top.
Can you people whit a lot of turkeys around care to explain this bazar event???

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 14:23
Shocked

Seen it on creek banks but never anything like that. Kind of a duck and cover deal with easy take off if needed.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 14:41
Turkeys are not super smart.  It they were they would not have picked that tree with eagle.

Also they have a 'any port in a storm'  mentality.  I've had them peck at my car door because they could see their reflection (must have gone to a car wash that day).

they like to glide, with limited wing strokes, so it was just a jump n glide manuver.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2021 at 19:20
I don't have any idea what they were doing but that's the reason I like being out away from town. It seems like every time I am I see something unusual that animals do. 

I love watching wild animals. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic