The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Ball park off the cuff guess price.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ball park off the cuff guess price.
    Posted: 07 January 2021 at 00:52
I have heard Kirby does first class work. But a 2 year wait?

Another choice might be Long Rifle Inc. in Sturgis South Dakota. 

Chad Dixon has the reputation of being one of the best  in my area. I'm sure most gunsmiths have some kind of shipping options. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2021 at 03:53
ATN makes adjustable ring sets to correct your Mauser. I wouldn't mess with a laser anymore then I had too. Pretty is as pretty does.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 18:21
There is a shop in Helena ( capital sports) that has huge amount of experience and expertise. There quite reasonable too. My D-I-L is good friends with Kirby Allen,( http://apsrifles.com/ )  a member here too that is a  professional gun MAKER. He did here 257 WB. But he has a two year wait and yes very $$$$. Hill I have herd the Mauser is a hard correction. I use Burris windage mounts and I took a Blank base and drilled my own holes to make most of the correction.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 18:11
Bear it will if you file them off first.Big smile
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 17:52
Does Cerokote plug the serial numbers on the action?
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 17:35
Here's the deal D. I just talked to Jim Hart and mentioned what you wanted done. Rebarrel a rifle-$700. Flutes, brakes, etc are extra. I told him about your crooked base holes. He said that's very hard to deal with on a mauser action and most others. He said his woodchuck gun is a mauser 98 with a crooked drilled reciever. He uses the leupold bases with windage adjustment and has never had an issue. I am guessing you have the same thing. Cerakote is $320 and I will say this, my new rifle finish is absolutely flawless! It looks and feels as smooth as butter! Of course you have add shipping. One thing I have found out with custom rifle work, it is NOT cheap, but quality craftsmanship is hard to find and you get what you pay for. If you have a local gunsmith that can install a barrel you may go that route. Personally, unless they are experienced in chambering, headspacing, etc I would spend the extra and let the pros do it, but that, of course, is up to you. Good luck!! 
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2021 at 11:07
It's been a couple years ago since I had a .270 turned into a Swede but the total cost was $1050. I replaced the stock and that was $275 of it. 

I had the barrel replaced with a threaded Brux barrel with a brake installed. He also trued the action and lapped the locking lugs and did a trigger job and bedded the action into the stock. 

So, If you take out the cost of the stock that leaves $775. I would think it wouldn't be all that much to re-drill the scope mounting holes. 

I think your $600 guess should be in the ballpark. I do agree that the quality of the work is more important than the price. Mine is very accurate and I have gotten over the price but will always remember the accuracy. 

Just my thoughts. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2021 at 09:48
My 6mm only cost me like $300 in parts all in, and $250 for the scope.
 I'm thinking if I can get it redone for around  $600 I still have a gun under $1000Clap
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2021 at 09:45
Big smileBig smileThumbs Up
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2021 at 09:31
Well, all rebarreling is usually more than a sale and upgrade with a new rifle.

A good barrel, fitted, chambered and blued is over $500.  Getting ready to redo my 60+ year old shot out m700.   I shot my first deer witth it, so did my son.  So I'll spend the $$ so MAYBE someday my grandson (or granddaughters) could get their first buck with the same rifle.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2021 at 09:23
I could never sell my 6.
 First ever gun build. 
Not to mention it is an alleged "Ghost" gun built with left over scraps.Confused

Edited by d4570 - 01 January 2021 at 09:24
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 19:43

sell it, get a new CZ in 6.5x55 swed
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 16:20
D, I just (today) picked up one I had done at Hart. I am not sure who you would have do it, but a top quality barrel would cost you $300-$350 depending on what you want (flutes) that I know is the price at Hart. Gunsmithing is gonna be half that I would guess. I am not real sure on that cause I had Hart put mine together. But don't skimp on the smithing, the best barrel in the world ain't worth spit if it's screwed on wrong!! 
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 15:17
My 6mm.
Now that I have a new squeeze for deer/elk/bear gun, I go back to thinking Varmints.
 You all know of my junkyard 6mm Rem. It is a laser and kicks a$$ over 500 yards. Remember the action is a Herders j9 ? Mauser 98.
Great action, love it, but the scope base screw holes are drilled off center to the bore. I want to have that corrected and when it's in the shop, maybe a re barrel in 6mm/06 AI, 26", a sporter taper for less weight and like a 7.5 5r twist chromoly blued.
Triger and stock are good. 
 What kind of guess for a cost if done here in MT Handshake
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic