The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Set Triggers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Set Triggers
    Posted: 27 December 2020 at 14:25
I'm thinking about upgrading the trigger on my go to hunting rifle. 

I'm looking real hard at a single set trigger. 

I've never had a set trigger but I've shot a couple guns that have them and think that would be as good as it gets for a rifle that I use for hunting and target shooting. 

What are your thoughts? Are their any drawbacks? 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2020 at 14:33
Only set trigger I have is on my .54 cal flintlock. Works great but you have to practice using tbem.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2020 at 16:32
Well, set trigger generally have a small hammer that slaps the sear.

I've got 5 of them.  they really had a purpose when trigger were 6# or more.  today with a good adjustable trigger, they really are not needed.

DST  double set triggers, two triggers rear set then front trigger is a 'hair trigger', I got  a couplr on BP guns, love them.

SST Single Set triggers, one trugger, push it forward sets the  trigger, then IT is hair, got 3 of these, shot  a bear with the 9.3 SST and another bear with the 8x57 SJR.

adds class!

“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2020 at 17:42
I was looking at Jard Triggers. They are adjustable. 

I was thinking the main trigger adjusted to about 3 pounds for hunting and the set trigger adjusted to 6 to 8 ounces for target shooting would be the best of both worlds. 

Just my thoughts. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2020 at 17:44
I have a muzzle loader with double set triggers. I never have shot it but I really like the concept. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2020 at 09:02
I like them.

adds value to rifle.

Many people buy guns with single set triggers and don't know it.  recent Cz listed didn't mention it has SST, he didn't even know that!
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2020 at 11:53
It's interesting that you say that Bear. 

A couple years ago I was looking at a CZ-550 at Rocky Mountain Sports. They put zip ties holding the bolt from being cycled. I asked the manager if he would cut the zip tie so I could feel the trigger. I could tell he was confused when he saw me push the trigger forward. 

I ended up showing him how it worked and he said something to the effect of "Well, I'll be damned". 

I didn't buy the rifle because it wasn't in a caliber I was looking for but looking back I kinda wish I would have. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2020 at 13:32
could have been that 9.3x62.  I almost bought it, and I have the same rifle already.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2020 at 18:04
It was Bear. 

If it would have been a Swede or .257 Roberts I would have been all over it. I'm just not that familiar with the 9.3X62. That was a beautiful gun though. 

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic