The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Doin a line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doin a line
    Posted: 24 December 2020 at 10:47
So the boy years ago shoved a smoke pole in the safe and it’s in the way. Traditions in-line, never used one. Must take some sort of primer but it has a big hole for a primer that looks threaded. Says 50 cal on it, must be those modern slugs? No idea how to use the funky thing but I guess I gotta learn a new trick. No idea of charge, powder, nothin... any input?
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2020 at 11:12
decent gun.  some used #11 percussion caps, others used 209 shotgun primers.

directions below.  legal for PA early season blackpowder  deer season, not legal in Saturday's opening flint black owder season.

directions below. 

“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2020 at 13:38
Saw that, also saw a gun needing cleaned and used. Apparently fired once and shoved in the safe, never cleaned. What a mess! Local wallyworld has no 209’s or bore butter, go figure. They also had no ammo unless you call two boxes of low brass 8’s in 28 gauge and some cross man pellets and BB’s ammo that is. Why is the pocket threaded? 50 caliber power band 15 ok was 28 bucks and a pack of Sevens pellets another 21. Fresh can of gun scrubber and I’m off to waste an afternoon getting it smoothed out and debugged..
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2020 at 06:00
Most of these styles have a removable breech plug, It is threaded and screws out so you can clean all the way thru (like a 12 ga shotgun breakaction).

Look at the parts list in the site above.  what part it threaded????
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2020 at 09:59
Appears you are right. Breach plug it is. Too bad when he was over last night he informed me he lost that piece in the woods because he forgot to take it out of his pocket.......NICE. Now I have to find one of those and the little tool to remove the breach. Has a goofy rectangular piece the plug threads into that stops the powder and a complete cleaning shot through. Had a couple hours into it last night and the barrel was just about the only semi-clean part. Bolt is silky smooth now and everything else seems to be in order. Dug through the safe and found he had a donor given to him that is in even worse shape and will soon be dropped off to the sheriffs office for proper disposal. It was a cheap 80 dollar jobby that now is missing the fiber optic sights and other do-dads he scavenged. Bright side to all this is that I believe this is the last of his stuff left in my safe.....and I may claim the in-line since I now will have a vested interest in it.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2020 at 11:28
might be able to buy the missing part.

Traditions were all imports from different countries, and also branded under other names.  They are sstill in business, might try them   https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/category

also you are in luck, close to you is Numrich Gun parts that has Tradition Black powder parts.  https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/traditions/muzz-rifles-trad

let us know what you find.  The BP season is only 6 days ib PA.  But at a nice time of year and overlaps with black bear season.  I hunted it 5 days, fun....I ate sardines for all days at lunch...didn't see a bear, but did smell one close by in timber cut.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2020 at 11:23
....sure, that was the bear....LOL
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2020 at 11:27
Well since my interest has been stroked a bit and I'm itchin to fix this one, maybe a proper flinty is in order. Anyone have suggestions? This in-line is a cammy job on synthetic stock with SS and fiber optic sights. I'm not above being a non traditionalist if it works great, pulls up well and is fairly easy to use and clean.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2020 at 13:24
I have a few flintlocks.  My favorite is a 45 cal Hawkin, Using a T/C lock with my made frizzen and all acid rust browned.

I shoot 98 grain round balls and 100 grain equalivalent of PYREX (black powder).  shoots into 2" at 50 yards.  Best to get a US made lock if you can, foreign locks are soft.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2020 at 15:29
search for American made L&R locks for a flinter.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2020 at 13:58
How accurate are inline muzzle loaders?

Not that I have a use for one. In Wyoming muzzle loaders are considered rifles. We don't have a special season for them. 

They are cool though.

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2020 at 14:40
If a Muzzle Loader Rifle isn't a Flintlock or even a Caplock & not loaded with Blackpowder it is just not worth having.

Think TRADITIONALIST!!!
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2020 at 16:24
I.m with you IBD.

but my kid's in line shoots 2 inches at 100 yRDS ,   form a bench.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2020 at 17:02
Most guys are not real particular with their loads. 2" at 100 is more then enough with irons. There are some folks that get serious about it. One fella on youtube shoots deer at his range well past 600. A 325 gr boolet slows to about 800 fps from a hot pole at 600. Still more energy then a 45LC or 44 sp from the muzzle. Inlines have the advantage of modern primers. That makes consistency a bit easier to obtain. No moving parts to screw up your chamber. Just a charge and a projectile.

Modern Flinty's vs older long guns. Not much has changed from what I'm reading. Parts are of better quality but lack the artistic touch of a maker. They still throw a ball of lead, use a patch and black powder.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2020 at 17:08
B-I-L has two. A PA long rifle and a Hawken. He loves the old long pole. They are the only smokers I have ever fired. The old long pole is 5" and the Hawken is a foot shorter. Oldie is lighter and more svelte. Hawken balances better. I imagine they are more along the lines of handguns, what feels good in your hands and you have confidence in is what matters.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2020 at 09:07
Long guns are sometimes difficult to hunt in thick PA woods, but nice.

Those long shot with  In-lines are usually made with guns specifically for smokeless power. lots of problems with them, and failed guns.

In flint locks what matters is  DOES IT GO OFF EVERYTIME.  some times a good bit of 'fix' is necessary to get a good sparker.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic