The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Great Fisher season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Fisher season
    Posted: 11 December 2020 at 16:51
Well our fisher season ended yesterday. We ended up with 8, the cold snap and snow helped with the last 4 coming in the last week or so. The largest two went 14.5lbs and the other 12lbs+, the 2 the boys are holding, gnarly, buckethead males. The state is in the last year of a 5yr study on them so last night we took the to the biologist to have a tooth pulled and sealed. It had been close to 10yrs since I went after them in earnest, just like riding a bike. The biologist said we did better than 99% of the trappers he has met up with. The longliners get bigger numbers, but travel 100s of miles, we just travelled to the next 2 towns, maybe 20mi from home. We are gonna have the biggest one mounted and the rest are going for taxidermy, that's why we didn't skin them. This is my most favorite outdoor past time and I'm glad my boys took a liking to it.

Edited by MapleHill - 11 December 2020 at 17:36
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 17:54
WOW there a LOT bigger than I thought.
Cool what is a pelt going for?
Skinned coyotes from up north here are 50/75 bucks, way more if there finished.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 18:46
D, they ain't worth squat. The guy that is taking these has a taxidermy market, only worth $20-$30, if we skinned them and put them up they are only going for $10-$20. Damn shame, they are absolutely beautiful, soft silky fur. When I was a kid trapping, 25-30yrs ago I as getting from $75-$150/ea and before that in the late 70s to mid 80s they would go regularly for $250 up to $400. The fur market overall is bleak, only coyotes are going decent. I don't understand it, it is probably the most coarse fur of all. We ended up with 15 beavers, 10 muskrats and an otter on my month off. We might end up with a couple hundred bucks...when I was 15 that haul would have been worth close to $1500! Oh well, it is still a ton of fun and the boys love it and gets them away from from the video games

MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 18:52
Here is a better picture to tell the size of them, 1500 Chevy tailgate for reference. We lined them up largest to smallest. The females, last 3 on the right, are significantly smaller. The males have huge heads and are incredibly powerful for their size. They are an incredible animal

d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 19:27
FUN times for sure.Clap
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 21:20
That's really cool. 

Great times and memories with your boys. These are memories they will always have. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2020 at 23:15
Thats the best a guy can do. Spending quality time with the family.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 08:11
Congratulations.

Fishers are just coming back around here.  they are mean guys.  I stopped trapping 3 years ago, gave away all my gear to a guy and his son, hope they use the stuff.

Trapping is a great way to learn critters.

I assume leg hold traps?  what did you dispach those toothy guy with?  22 short, club?
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 11:51
Bear, all but 1 was caught in a 220...DOA. One was caught in a fox trap, a sharp crack across the head and stand on the ribs and lights out. PA has much stricter laws for using bodygrippers on land then NY. Here we can use a 7" trap as long as it's 1) at least 4ft off the ground or 2) in an approved box, which consists of certain dimensions to prevent catching dogs. Of the 7 caught in 220s 3 were caught in a leaning pole set, 4 were in boxes.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 12:37
interesting, were the boxes baited?

I've never caught a bobcat in one of my traps; but that was a concern trying to release on from my leg hold.

I always set my leg hold beaver traps for drowning.  But one big 28# male dragged heavy chain and stone weight up on shore, then tangeled in everything; probably stood there for 8 hours pi$$ed.  28# rats are not to be messed with.

You are right, PA doesn't like body traps.  I had one duke 220 thaat someone gave me, never used it.

Sort of miss 'tuning' my leg hold traps.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 13:07
I use offset leg hold traps for land trapping exclusively. Releasing is really pretty easy, pin head down with a crotched stick or a release pole. Open trap with feet and off they go. I use 330s and #4 and #5 coilsprings and longsprings for beaver. 62# was the biggest last spring, got a couple 50# this fall. Otters are powerful, arguably the most powerful animal, at least in the water. Maybe pound for pound the otter and fisher are the toughest, hardest to kill. Boxes and poles are baited. Fisher will go for about anything. I caught the first 2 with raw sheep wool dipped in minced mice. The rest were on venison scraps. Location and weather plays a bigger factor than bait. Venison, beaver, muskrat, coon, rabbits, pigeons they'll go for about anything. A little call lure and wait for the weather to cooperate. I should take more pictures of my sets. I am not very good at remembering that stuff, didn't grow up with a camera with me all the time like nowadays. I do have a few pictures of a couple in the trap I'll post.
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 13:19
Here is the first one I caught. You see he is "suitcased" in the 220, 7"X7" trap. I set the trigger towards the bait and on the tightest notch so it takes quite a bit of effort to trip it, that ensures they are in the trap and can't pull out. When the trap snaps it drops and they don't have much to pull against, they're back feet are just touching the ground, by law, but they are usually dead before they hit the ground, or very close to it. When caught in the boxes they are not in the trap as deep. The end up getting snapped around the neck. The big males fight some, but most don't even get the trap out of the box. But trigger placement is critical, as well as making sure the trap springs aren't weakened, if the trap hits them on the top of the head the males could pull out of it.

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 14:37
Thanks Maple.  pic worth 1000 words.

Now I understand your pole sets.

As you know, trapping requires you to understand how you target approaches things, like bait, fences, trees, etc.  I found learning this from the animals themselves was fasinating.

good luck to you and the boys.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2020 at 16:39
Great story/pictures maple...best way to spend time with your boys. Kids learning woods lore will make great citizens. They will make you proud!
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2020 at 10:53
Originally posted by Irish Bird Dog Irish Bird Dog wrote:

Great story/pictures maple...best way to spend time with your boys. Kids learning woods lore will make great citizens. They will make you proud!

Thanks, IBD. Of all the outdoor activities I partake in, trapping is my favorite. Trying to out wit a wild animal, get it to stick it's foot on a 3" circle or walk/swim thru a X" square takes some thinking. It also takes the most time. Like I said, I started trapping when I was 10 or 12yrs old. On and off all these years, mostly off, with work and other commitments, but the boys wanted to try it so they sparked the fire in me. I should take more pictures of what the sets look like for various critters. I suppose it would be very interesting if you never have done it.  

Edited by MapleHill - 14 December 2020 at 10:54
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2020 at 11:48
I've found 'otes toughest to trap.  In PA we can't set  traaps close to fencelines; and that seems to be where 'otes like to travel.   Also I learned early that you need to double stake your traps and keep the trap chain very short so coyotes don't get a jump start to pull out my traps.  there must be a number of 'otes dragging some of my dukes around all day.

Trapping lets you learn valuable information, like the value of fresh chicken coop straw!

Edited by BEAR - 14 December 2020 at 11:56
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2020 at 12:21
Yotes are the toughest, without question. Set out a handful this fall with the intent of catching a yote, but foxes was all we ended up with. I will not give up though, I'll have one before I'm done.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2020 at 17:25
keep positive.

good luck

bear
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2020 at 18:02
Can you use cable snares?
Very effective, and cheep to make.
The boy used to "Trap" coyotes with snares.
When he did he would get a 100 or so in the fur season.
There is a lot of hoops to jump through to trap any more and places to do it are harder to get.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2020 at 18:37
In PA,  We can  use snare, during cold winter season.  You need a speciaal license and need to attend a "cabel restraint class".  and again cable must be 6 foot from any post or fence which an 'ote could hang himself on jumping.

Also only allowed only one fisher a year with a special  drawing tag...not worth the trouble.  Only one bobcat.  No lions or bears!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic