The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

How many?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many?
    Posted: 01 December 2020 at 19:23
I was updating my serial number list of rifles and added to it which ones I have shot a deer with. Out of 41 centerfire rifles, I have shot at least 1 deer with 12 of them. Of the 41, 4 of them are 22 centerfires, which I would not hunt deer with. That begs the next question...how many is too many? All of them are "hunting type" rifles, 70s, 700s, 77s a couple Brownings, and a few lever guns. Only 1 autoloader and it's a Ruger 44. All of them I reload for, many if not most, have never had a factory round in the chamber at least by me. 
I have an addiction...hard to stop and even harder to get rid of one...my boys and my nieces won't have to buy a gun when I kick the bucket. Just a little conversation starter guys...
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2020 at 01:01
I'm not sure how many guns I have. I've never counted. If my wife ever asks, I want to be able to honestly say "I don't Know"

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2020 at 08:33
Originally posted by Wing master Wing master wrote:

I'm not sure how many guns I have. I've never counted. If my wife ever asks, I want to be able to honestly say "I don't Know"

Wing master

I didn't know until I updated my list. That doesn't count rimfires, shotguns and handguns. My wife ignores my guns, best as she can anyhow. I just hope if I kick the bucket first, she doesn't sell them for what I said I paid for them...and that ain't even counting how much invested in reloading components...yikes.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2020 at 09:55
I have 43 rifles personally, 4 RF and 39 Cf.
I hunt and load for all of the CF.

2 slide acttions, 2 semi (10-22 & M1)  1 double barrel, 3 singles shots, rest bolt guns.  Cartridges go from 25-20 to 416, but most are deersized  rifles.  all but one have killed game.  The one is a 4 year old 7 rem mag that attacked me ina LGS.

I started giving many to my son to add to his collection.  Then he accepted a 3 year overseas assignment....all my gifts along with his other guns came back home.  Now the number of pets residing here is toooooo many.  He will reurn this summer and take his and lots of mine back...I hope.

I can not be TRUSTED in a gun shop, close to the used rack.

Edited by BEAR - 02 December 2020 at 09:56
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2020 at 10:49
Interesting topic....I too have a couple guns. I can only say that I have 2 guns that I have never fired. One is a LH bolt gun (acquired used so It has been fired just not by me) & the other is a BP replica Colt Navy revolver (new). No reason for NOT firing either of them as I have had them for decades. Also, some of my guns have never seen factory ammo at least those I acquired as new. Reloading is a big part of having guns and rewarding too. As Maple & Bear indicated the intent is to pass them down the family line when I no longer can use them.  Some have been passed down already and I have some acquired from my dad. 

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 05:28
I only have a few that haven't taken game of some sort. 3 target guns and two builds not yet complete. No queens in my safe.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 12:55
I have been thinking of thinning out the "queens" in my safe. 

I have 2 Henry Goldenboys with consecutive serial numbers that I have been saving to give to grandkids. The problem is that I have 2 guns and 5 grandkids. 

Several years ago I started collecting S&W revolvers. I have a few of them that were made not long after WWII that appear to never have been shot outside the test firing at the factory. I'm starting to think that they need to go to someone that will do something other than lock them in a dark safe. 

If a guy has guns that he has never shot is that too many?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 19:01
I spent a little money this fall and acquired 4 "new" ones. 1st is a Rem 700 Mtn Rifle in 280, the older wood blue version, VERY nice specimen. 2nd is a Win 70 Featherweight in 7X57, very clean and a bucket list one for me. 3rd is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 257 Roberts, looks like it never left the guys safe and 4th is a Browning BLR in 284. I bought it cheap cause they didn't have a magazine, but I found one on another forum and it's on the way here. Still waiting for my Hart build 7mm08, should be done soon. I did however cut one loose today. They guy I bought the 8mag from contacted me a few weeks ago and asked if I would sell it back to him for sentimental reasons...I caved today and let him have it. I didn't shoot it much and probably would never take it hunting, so...I should have some 8mm Mag components for sale soon.  
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 20:02
"I should have some 8mm Mag components for sale soon. "
??????????
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2020 at 18:09
Originally posted by d4570 d4570 wrote:

"I should have some 8mm Mag components for sale soon. "
??????????

Whatcha need D?
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2020 at 18:29
Actually nothing, just like to look. I have 400+ cases and 2/3's of them full, 1/2/1/2 200 Barnes/ 220 Sierra.
5 pounds lbs. reloder 26. I'm probably set for life, this year I shot one shell.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2020 at 19:19
That's alot. I don't have that much. Maybe 200-250 cases and a few boxes of bullets. The brass is uber-expensive and hard to find. Didn't wanna cut loose with the 8mag, but my buddy wanted it back...I've been there before. He give me more than I paid, but less than market value. No worries, I probably never would have used it other than poking holes in paper out back.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2020 at 19:25
MapleHill

Let me know how you like that 700 Mountain Rifle. 

I have one in .308. I'm amazed every time I shoot that gun. For having such a thin barrel it shoots lights out. 

Wing master
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2020 at 20:22
wing the solution to your dilemma of not 'nuff "Goldenboy" rifles is to buy 3 more!Wink
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2020 at 10:43
IBD

I agree. I guess I need to start shopping.

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic