The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

No More Saving Brass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No More Saving Brass
    Posted: 20 November 2020 at 16:56
A while back I was looking at J&G Sales and saw that they have 6.5X55 Sweedish surplus practice ammo. It has a wooden bullet and is berdan primed. The primers are non corrosive. You can get 4800 of them for $96 plus shipping. 

I have been trying to think of something I could do with them. 

I came up with the idea of pulling the wooden bullet, dumping the powder, and loading them with my bullets and powder. 

I didn't want to have 4799 of them and not know what to do with them if it didn't work so I only bought 800. 

They came in a pretty cool box

I opened it up and their was 4 battle packs with ten boxes of 20 rounds in each battle pack.

Then I pulled a few bullets, 

They were a little corroded so I put them in the tumbler over night. 

Today I finally got the time to test my loads. They shot every bit as good as the same load using Lapua brass. 

I wasn't javing my best day shooting but my hunting load from last year shot 1.15 inches at 200 yards. I shot a bigger group with my hunting loads that used Lapua brass. 

I think I might be on to something. 

Wing master

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 05:12
sako brass ???
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 12:41
They still show it as available. Reviews seem to vary but at that price...nice if they are close by. At over 200lbs., shipping here would be more then the bullets.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 12:43
Bear

I'm not sure. It has military headstamps. From what I've read about them they can be from WWII all the way up to the 80's. So far I've only opened one battle pack and these are dated 1985. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 12:51
JSG,

Yes, the shipping is more than the bullets. But I can get 4800 rounds for a little more than 200 pieces of Lapua brass. 

If I could figure out something to do with the powder it would be even more attractive. Theirs 23 grains of powder in each round. That adds up to almost 16 pounds of powder. I have read that the powder has a similar burn rate to Unique. 

Wing master 
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2020 at 10:59
Woing.....Nice find and good idea for cheap brass. Primers should still be ok since they are of 1985 age. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2020 at 11:13
What is the headstamp.  they are usually unique, and give data to id the mfg.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 13:06
I don't know where to find what the headstamps mean but this is it. 
I'm pretty sure the 8 and 5 is for 1985 but thats all.

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 14:21
wing, are all the headstamps you checked the same?????
Did you read any reviews from J&G Sales site? They are in link below...interesting comments.

more info on the wooden bullet ammo....

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 17:00
Thanks IBD

What it said in the reviews is pretty much what I've found. Some cases have quite a bit of corrosion but I haven't found any yet that aren't usable. Before I pull the bullet I have been putting them in the dry tumbler over night. They don't come out completly shiny but it does take the rough stuff off of the surface of the brass. They are still discolored. 

I found the one review interesting that the guy anneals the cases before he loads them. I'm not so sure I'd do that with a primed case but I guess it works for him. 

So far I've only opened one battle pack and only about 10 boxes out of that battle pack. So far they have the same head stamp. 

I went ahead and ordered another 4800 rounds. That's 5600 total. I figured if this primer shortage lasts a couple years or 4 with Biden at least I should have enough to keep going to the range. I might only be able to shoot one gun but at least it's one of my favorites. 

Wing master
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 17:18
good catch wing on guys mention of annealing the 6.5 brass ....wonder how he'd anneal them with primer in place. Hopefully not with open flame.

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2020 at 17:29
Wing,
   You might be right about a shortage of primers for a while after reading this article.  It sounds like Vista Outdoors  (CCI and more) is a year behind on back orders.

Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2020 at 19:33
I'm not sure if that's good news or not. It's good to have new gun owners and shooters but I would almost rather be able to buy reloading components. 

Maybe the dims will take notice that more people are pro gun than they thought. 

Wing master
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2020 at 20:18
Maybe the "bad" guys are buying guns too! 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2020 at 10:47
Good point IBD. I have been thinking that I'm glad I'm on the side that has all the guns. 

Maybe the other side is preparing?

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2020 at 09:44
chasing whitetails is over.  I've got 2 weeks till the flint season starts.  So I got 100 rounds of 7 mag once fired.  Time to get to cleaning that brass....and praying I can find some 130 gr bullets.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2020 at 16:38
Bear

Bullets and powder seem to be in pretty good supply around here. Primers are another story. 

If you have trouble finding bullets let me know and I will look and see what's in stock here. 

Wing master
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 11:13
Wing, looking for 140gr 7mm Sierras. I prefer the Game Kings, but Pro Hunters will work. Let me know if you find any!! Thank MH
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2020 at 16:42
Maple Hill

I'll look next time i'm at the store. 

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic