The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

458 Lott

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 458 Lott
    Posted: 14 November 2020 at 19:54
Just watched a video on the development of this cartridge, interesting.

Then this guy who is crazier then me...

Somone hold my beer!....
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2020 at 06:47
Interesting video.  I've shot the 456 win mag, and the 458 Lott, also the 460 weatherby, and the 470 nitro.  all nice cartridges.  As the video guy suggested...the 416 Rem Mag is the better choice.

The problem that was not explained about the lott is most rifles are converter 458 win mags. (exception being the Ruger #1 single shot).  To accomidate the longer cartridge the feed ramp in the front receiver ring is ground down.  this has two effects, poor feeding and weakening the rifle.  The feed ramp in the frong receiver ring is the support area for the right bolt lug.  And removing metal that supports that lug is a huge mistake.  Some people even conpensate for this by reducing the load in their Lott, so it is less than the standard 458 mag, makes little sense.

Is 150 fps worth the negatives of the Lott?   each to their own.

The video mentions not using a scope on a Lott.  Most guides want you to shot what you shoot best; and want shots over 50 yards.  A 1-4x scope is perfect.  Red dots can't take the recoil of 458s as well as scopes, and they require a battery.  African heat and arctic cold kills batteries.

The guy recomments a Past sissy pad for practice.  again a poor idea.  that increases your LOP and means poor cheek weld with the pad, unless you cut the stock, which most people don't want to do.  And then if you hunt without the pad you will have a totally different feel and will creep up on the scope, for an eye cut.

I like the 458 for 500 grain bullets.  the Lott is a solution to a non-existing problem.  If someone thinks they need more power thaan the 458, then get a 416 Weatherby.

just early morning thoughts with coffee.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2020 at 04:17
I have several Weatherby's, one in 375. Those actions can handle compressed Lott loads with ease and still have room to spare without modifying the ramp. The 460 mag only gains you another 200fps from the base loaded Lott and 400fps over the full power win mag. I'm not sure you can seat those big boogers back far enough to avoid ramp issues in a Mauser Long action well enough without running into other issues. Falling into the same traps the Winny had issues with. Did you catch the second video? D may need a backup weapon!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2020 at 08:13
Yep 2nd video, pistol.

Looked like about a 12" barrel with about 2"+ more for brake.  Maybe a 14" barrel.

That isn'y enough to burn the powder capacity of a Lott.  so that beast isn't any more powerful than a 45-70.  Maybe like a Casull or a 460 s&w, probably less   the Perceived recoil seems to be people reacting to the muzzle blast from all that unburnt powder.   don't know what good it would be, maybe to impress non-shooters, it is a big case. 
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2020 at 11:22
I still wouldn't want to shoot it.

.....maybe loaded with WW296 or H-110? Dangerous messing with loadings like that.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 08:36
Actually even with all the poor shooting styles on the video, the gun didn't seem to recoil anywhere like the Casull.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2020 at 17:58
I've shot the Casull in an 8" revolver, kicked about the same as heavy loaded 44 mags in a 6". Stout, but manageable.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2020 at 12:33
My shoulder hurts just thinking about it. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2020 at 08:28
Just packing for  a week of deer/bear hunting.  was taking the 30-40 ruger #3.

But all this heavy talk got me thinking about taking the 416 or 9.3!
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2020 at 11:29
They say bigger is better. 

Good luck Bear. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:21
9.3 is plenty for both and less meat loss on them as well.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:23
By now you should know.............I just hunt them stuff, not shoot 'em.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:26
Unless it could fall over next to your SUV.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2020 at 12:53
Clap Or crawl in first then die.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2020 at 13:46
Shot a deer 35 years ago, in thick woods about 120 yds from my truck.  it ran and died about 3 yards from the tailgate!

PLANNING
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic