The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

CVA Wolf

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CVA Wolf
    Posted: 25 October 2020 at 09:43
Been hunting with muzzle loaders since 1970, killed a good number of deer with my flintlocks.

this past week had overlaping seasons, with one day of muzzle loading season in my olanned trip (actually a scouting day for me).

This season is alled  Muzzleloading season , whitetail.  It is for most folks that can load a flintlock or caplock, dah.  So scope sighted rifles with 209 primers, and sabot are legal.

Only hunting one day, I  grabbed the kid's BP rifle.

CVA Wolf
Made on a traditional break action low cost (HR, Topper like) shotgun frame.

Easy to load, I shot 3 777 pellets with a skirted jacketed hollow point bullet fit nice in 50 cal barrel.  Trigger was crisp and OK, 209 loaded easy.  4x scope.

opinion: a low cost accurate weapon, light recoil shot more accurate than most slug 12 ga shotguns.  penetration 3" fresh cut log, all the way thru, more than enough for deer.  recoil was light and straight back, no muzzle rise.

Not my favorite type weapon, but certainly OK.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 18:07
I am a traditional muzzleloader gun guy....Flintlock or Caplock but none of the modern 208 primer types. The "holy black" being the only powder too.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2020 at 23:26
I've always thought it would be fun to hunr with a muzzle loader. 

The problem here is the distance we usually have to shoot and they don't have a seperate muzzle loading season. They are considered a rifle. 

Maybe some day I'll try it. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 07:22
Hey Wing, Wonder how the mountain men managed out there without today's modern firearms????Wink
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 08:58
Got ya covered on that distance thing you referred to Wing!

...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 09:00
My Dad has a Wolf, nice little gun. We have a 1 week muzzleloader season here. Inline, scopes, the whole shabang is legal. I borrowed my buddy's Rem 700ML to take out a few times. I'll probably buy a Wolf sometime to have for next season. They shoot fantastic.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 09:12
Wallyworld had them on sale for $188 with sights, $219 w/3-9x and mount.

These are certainly good out to 150 yards.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 21:13
IBD

I'm pretty sure they were better shots than I am. The ones that really impress me are the indians. They killed buffalo with a stick that had a rock tied on the end of it. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 21:14
JSG

I think that would do the trick but i'm pretty sure I wont be spending 6K on a muzzle loader any time soon. 

Wing master
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2020 at 11:01
Well think of it as a smokepole for that niche and a 460 Weatherby all in one!.....Could be saving you money in the long run!

LOL
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2020 at 11:18
These 209 muzzleloaders are all designed to circumvent the seasons for primitive weapons.  little value or sporting level to them; but they let folks that can't figure out primitive weapons, another season.

Savage and remington made some rifles like the BadBull that used smokeless powder.  they dropped them as they had safety issues with the smokeless use, without a brass case.  Bad bulls is remington and Savage  bolt action rifles with  a breech plug.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic