The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Deer cooler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer cooler
    Posted: 12 September 2020 at 07:42
When I hunted elk in CO with a group we took a house size freezer & generator. 8 guys..8 horses..so one trailer for horses & saddles & one 2 horse trailer converted to a kitchen which held the freezer too..any elk were cut & wrapped then froze. Now one trip the dang generator conked out...with elk in freezer....trip to nearest town to buy dry ice saved the "day" & meat.
On way out we put frozen food supplies in a COLD freezer.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2020 at 05:28
Yeti  are terrible.  Heavy when empty.  cool retenion isn't much better than coleman.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 18:34
I could never understand the "super coolers", you can buy an awful lot of ice for 3,4 or even 500 dollars!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 14:44
Yes that will work. We have a few old sleeping bags we cover ours with and that will keep ice for a long time if you don't unwrap it.
The Super coolers cost huge $$$.
What we do, but we all drive "BIG" trucks, is a small freezer and the boys camp generator.
Fire it up and let it run the whole trip. One day  or a week.
When the "KIDS" go for two elk and it's not freezing out his buddy has a set up just like his and they take both. two cut elk fit, just!
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 14:16
If I'm more than 8 hours from home I get my deer/antelope/elk/moose/black bear butcher locally there.

They freeze it solid, and I put it in a cooler.

My cooler is a $90 Igloo, about 32 years old.  Often has had 3 deer, or an elk....so it is sizable.  Ice is good for 1-2 days, dry ice makes it 3-4 days.  Can't always find dry ice, unfortunately.

I don't hunt for 2 deer on a trip any longer, so the cooler is oversized.  But I do take and tour a week or more after a hunt.  
So, I got too much room in my cooler and not enough insulation!

I just fitted 1 1/4 inch styrofoam INSIDE the cooler.  there are some gaps, but 95% of the surface is covered.  Now 30% less room (no more elk.)

Do you think it will improve my keeping game cold, adding ice/dry ice?????????
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic