The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

22 rim thickness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 22 rim thickness
    Posted: 02 September 2020 at 12:03
Over the years I found out each 22  rf rifle will shoot one brand of ammo better than others (without regard to ammo cost).  Once, I read that the reason was various rim thickness of different manufacturers. 

Now I see Hornady makes a rimfire gage.
Has anone used this tool?  thoughts?

Edited by BEAR - 02 September 2020 at 16:16
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 15:07
Never saw that tool before.
Not sure it's worth the effort except for maybe match type shooting.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 16:19
I only shoot targets or really small stuff with my 22s.   so acuracy is super important.
It isn't expensive when you look to the cost of decent ammo today.

I am lucky  Ihave a 22lr CZ 452 FS, it shoots Remington 'golden bullet", 525 bulk into 1 MOA or less.    My 10-22 Ruger shoots cheapo Blazer in to 3/4' at 50 yards ...with the new trigger.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 16:20
Acually these things look simple....a winter project with 1" aluminum stock and my lathe.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 19:19
What is the NEW trigger on Blondie?????
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2020 at 07:31
10-22 has the worse trigge of any rifle made.  heavy 8#, and lots of creep.

After 40 years ruger  now sells an up grade  BX.  sells for about $80.  Lots of upgrades for 10-22  trigger, most $150 to 450,  way more than most rifles sold for.

A  RX trigger is a fair up-grade, but not perfect.  trigger now 2,5# and just a little creep.

Wing has one on is 10-22.  I'm happy with mine.

.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2020 at 11:05
Bear, U mean the BX trigger from Ruger sounds like. I have one in one of my 10/22's and it is very good and was only about $60. Easy to install also, pop out old trigger system/unit and pop in new BX unit. Also, have one 10/22 where I installed parts from Vorquartsen to make trigger better and it did. But cost more than the entire BX trigger & not enough better (if it is better) then Ruger BX to be worth the extra cost. Finally I have an ancient 1976 10/22 and tried the BX trigger in it but decided to take out & reinstall original trigger system and leave that gun as factory original. 

BTW, I didn't mean to hijack the original post but it seems we do that a lot here by moving off on a tangent from a comment in a post. 

So to get back to the subject of .22 rim thickness, I don't really care about that for most of my .22 rimfire shooting which is 98% Plinking these days. Using various platforms from handguns to longguns. The fun factor of shooting any .22 rimfire firearm is endless.Thumbs Up

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 03 September 2020 at 11:11
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2020 at 12:28
Well, the cosst of everything has gone up.  10-22 use to cosst $65, now on sale for $199.  RX triggers now list for $75 but sell some what discounted.  took me 2 days on-line to find any that were not "out of stock".  I bought both that I found.

"BTW, I didn't mean to hijack the original post "   Don't worry, hi-jack any and all of my posts.  You always add good info and opinions.

788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2020 at 09:42
I never played with rim thickness.  The only 22 that I ever had/still have that is ammo finicky is my Anschutz 54.18MS smallbore silhouette gun.  When you could get it, Ely Silhouex was it's favorite.  After that, it was now defunct Federal Silhouette.  Currently, the Federal gold medal is best but 50% larger groups that the Ely. The others, 10/22, Contender carbine and an old Savage autoloader digest pretty much anything with squirrel or beer can accuracy.  As mentioned in another thread, I had the trigger in the 10/22 redone by Connecticut Precision which made world of difference.

Good luck.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2020 at 14:41
Never gave t much thought actually, just figured some were finicky. Had an old 52b that shot everything under an inch and an old winky single that likes all but CCI stingers. I suppose here maybe something to it as CF rims also make a difference. Even extractor marks can cause mayhem.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2020 at 07:48
I use to shoot with some guys that really believed in
rim thickness gauges

Never saw where it make much difference.
Ray
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic