The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

New Era Cartridges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Era Cartridges
    Posted: 26 July 2020 at 10:24
we certainly have more cartridges than needed for the last 40 years.  But rifle mfg want to sell guns, so they make more 'new' must have cartridges  Creed, legend, Grendel, etc.

But one good thing is that most new cartridges are light recoiling.  Most hunters cant handle the recoil of a '06 or 270 win.  And these had been the 'recommended' deer cartridges for half a century.

So without saying it the new cartridges have produced better shooting hunters.  which means more meat in the freezer and less rotting game in the field.

So the 350 Legend probably is a good thing.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 11:35
I suppose your right on that.
Maybe I should lighten up too... Maybe a 6mm          /378.
Something in the 85 gr range.Big smile

Personally I live by,
" There is no replacement for Displacement"
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 11:48
My answer for a recommendation for a deer rifle is usually, "the heaviest recoiling cartridge that you can shoot as accurate as a 22".

I guess for many, that is a 22 magnum!   Evil Smile
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2020 at 11:54
Or maybe a red rider...
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 23:27
I'm pretty old fashioned. I realize that most people will only buy one 30-06 or .270 but I really don't have any desire to buy a rifle in one of the new calibers. 

Several years ago I thought about getting one of the Short Magnums. I'm really glad I didn't since most of them lost popularity and I would imagine brass is getting hard to find. 

They do need to sell rifles though. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 07:59
Wing, what cartridge do you use for PDs?
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 18:42
Just happened to notice, Bass Pro Shops has Vanguards on clearance for 149.00. Out of stock but can still order them in for the same price. .243 and 25-06.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 20:55
Bear, 

I use that new fangled .243 for prairie dogs usually. 

Sometimes a .308 but when I go with someone they seem to think that a 165 grain .308 is overkill for prairie dogs. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 20:58
Jsg,

That's a heck of a deal. Definatly worth thinking about. 

Wing master
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 23:33
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 21:24
I really need to stay out of the bargain cave.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 23:20
JSG

I like that M1A. And that is a good price. 

I think the Vanguard is a response to the Ruger Precision Rifle. Lizard has a Ruger. I shot it at MYGAWDS a few years ago. It was very accurate. I bet the Vanguard is accurate too. 

Wing master
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 23:53
Has the Weatherby guarantee, sub-moa or send it back!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 07:42
I think only the "MOA" model has that guarantee.

Weatherby only buys the rifles from Howa, brand named.  when the rifles come to california, they have a target inside, with 5 shots.  Weatherby culls the good groups out, puts a plastic stock on them and Calls them "MOA" model with guarantee.

If you like the Vangard, buy the MOA model $$$.  Or just buy the same rifle from Howa without the Weatherby name  (un-culled) and get a chance of getting a very accurate rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic