The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Gone Fishin'
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

wacky worms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wacky worms
    Posted: 23 July 2020 at 12:51
Well, going fishing tomorrow.

Goning to be fishing wacky plastic worms for largemouth

My Explorer is in the shop $$$$, air cond.  Hope it is back by 5 pm today.  Need to pack and get trailer on.  Got everything ready in the garage now.  So loaded up the boat on trailer, and checked the bearings.  the spare tire bolt-on mount was rusty, so wire brushing and lubing the threads.  Trailer is old 44 years, never been in a garage, sits out winter and summer..... but still in fair shape.

Waiting for phone call to pick-up the Ford.

Some rain expected tomorrow, but I'm going because on of my fishing buddies is a hide from Corona guy.  He must be desperate to have called me to fish knowing I'm not a hide-ou and mask type guy.  But I did volunteer to drive in aseparate car and meet him at the lake....separate boats too!!!

“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 13:32

wacky worms.

That's the way I used to hook a night crawler when I was a kid.
 Then every one convinced me it was wrong and need to "Thread" it on to the hook and line with just one end dangling off the tip of the hook. But that was for trout.
Good luck on the truck and on fishing, DO NOT forget your camera!!! 
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 22:44
Happy fishing bear.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2020 at 15:46
Good luck Bear.

We'll be waiting for a report. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 09:06
Great day.  Rowed around for 4 hours, caught 15 largemouths.  All put back.

Temp hit 90.

Some what sore today.  great time.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 11:47
Glad to hear it was an amazing outing. Sounds like it was one that would make you want to go do it all again.

Have to admit, I initially didn't look at this thread as I thought that it was about a CBD gummy worm....they have those!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2020 at 12:00
Wacky worm fishing  is just hooking a plastic 6" fat worm in the center.  then without weight/bobber  etc let it settle to the bottom.  Using a circle hook they set themselves.

I use large circle hooks that are barbless, so little damage to fish.  Very relaxing way to fish.  caught a fish about ever 8-10 minutes.  had two one at one time, had to drop a rod.
The only variation I make is the color of the worm.  Pond I was fishing was an old sand quarrie, where I use to hunt doves.  springs filled it up so water is cool even today, no inlet or outlet.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2020 at 23:15
Is their a reason for using rubber worms instead of real worms?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 07:50
Real worms can easily be 'stolen'.  A fish grabs the worm and runs away; breaking off the night crawlwer.  A plastic 'feels' good to the fish and it can't easily be pulled off.  I hooked 17 fish on the same rubber worm last week.  The way I fish with circle hook is to let the fish take the bait and move off 6+ foot.  He then decides to cough it up or I slowly pull on the line.  the plastc comes back up and the circle hook catches in the corner of the mouth, easily removed with little damage.  And rubber worms offer a variety of colors, that attract better that real worms.  Pumpkin/watermelon/purple are usually good colors.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 20:45
That's interesting. 

I guess I just figured that the real thing had to be better. 

Wing master
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2020 at 22:30
in today's world just what is the REAL THING?????????????????Confused
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 23:06
Good point IBD. 

I could go on but this is a family friendly site. 

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic