The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Trigger adjustments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trigger adjustments
    Posted: 08 July 2020 at 09:08
These things can be VERY dangerous.  In the 1980s lawsuits cause company to make non-adjustable heavy triggers.  Perfect for hunters; but gun nuts (like me)  wanted lighter triggers.  Most foreign gun came with lighter triggers and adjustable ones.  this made foreign rifles appear to be more accurate.  Afte 20+ years of losing the 'trigge wars' to foreign competition; many rifles now come with some type of adjustable trigger.

Unfortunately, many shooters have no idea how to properly adjust a trigger, or bump test it.  so today I see plenty of unsafe guns due to poorly adjusted triggers.  People don't even seem to read the instrucctions on adjusting triggers.  Adjusting the trigger ssprring is fine within limits.  But unless one understands the trigger wear engagement, that is best left alone.

I watched two guy, self proclaimed experts adjust a trigger.  They first using an allen wrench turned the spring ddown to the low limit that MFfg had fixed, 3#.  then proceeded to adjust the sear engagement down further to 2#; and they loved that.  someone had suggested that a 'bump test' should be done.  so they placed large pillow of the couch on the floor and gentlely lowered the rifle down on it.  I suggested that that wasn't a bump.  they said they didn't want to scratch the buttplate!!!!!

I've give up on trying to get guys at the range to stop playing poorly with triggers.  Seems I hear all poor groups and missed game are blamed on  $%^&^  triggers.

I spend some time on Rimfire Central site (CZ).  seems no one there can except a factory trigger, nor want to BUy a $150+ upgrade.  So they all recommend changing springs, and shimming sears.  Disaster for the non-engineer/gunsmith.

Just blowing off steam
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2020 at 10:04
Bear.
There is a YouTube on every thing ever needed by man...
I have a gun, Rem 700 8mmRM vintage 1978, that every one said could not be adjusted and I had to get a replacement trigger and they all seam to START at $150.
I instantly found a dozen YouTube how to change a trigger.
and a few that said I could adjust the 13 pound trigger on a 700.
I watched them all. Just a matter of removing the glue covering the screw three heads and do it STEP BY STEP.
I now Have an absolutely fantastic trigger. I set it at just under 3 pounds with NO creep, and NO over travel. Virtually no movement at all, just apply 3 pounds of force and it brakes crisp and clean every time. My "Bump" test consists of slamming the but on the concrete ( before adding a scope) multiple times with the safety on and off.
Then SLAMMING the bolt HARD many times, then moving the safety rapidly back and forth , hard. All must be 100% successful. Which they are. I re glued the screws before testing. Best trigger I have now in my mind. The 6mm has a timny set at 2 pounds, a good feeling trigger, the 22/250 has a factory T/C trigger, 2.5 pounds but with a fair amount of movement on both ends. I'll have to look at that one, one day.Big smile
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2020 at 22:26
I agree D.

A few of the triggers that I have adjusted are pretty self explanitory if you look at how it works. I have never adjusted the sear engaugement. I usually get a pretty good result. I have ground coils off of a couple springs to get the desired result. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 02:46
It isn't magic.  and some of the u-tube are good, some less than accurate.  Got 7 model 700 Rems all triggers have been adjusted properly and are great.  the 700 triggers get a bad rap on the net by the 'kids'.  but they are great triggers.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 17:19
I have several M700s and the triggers range from great to brace your feet to yank it back. The worst one I have is actually a new factory 700 action, not a complete rifle. I tried the factory adjustment, goes from probably 24lbs down to 23.5lbs...LOL I think it's gonna get an aftermarket trigger when I get a chance to look em over. One of the best factory triggers I have is surprisingly on my old Stevens 840 bolt action 30-30 (Savage 340), million dollar trigger on a $20 rifle. I am not about to tinker on a trigger outside of the normal adjustments or cleaning up factory glue or whatever. I'm not changing springs or sears, I'm not patient enough for that, plus my kids use the firearms and I'm not taking a chance on screwing one up.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2020 at 21:13
I put a Timney trigger in my model 700. It is probably the best trigger I have on any gun. It was around $100 but worth it. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic