The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

why the military Look?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why the military Look?
    Posted: 13 June 2020 at 08:23
Seems every new rifle has to look military.  plastic, ugly stock, oversized everything.  rough finish in desert colors.

The shelves are full of this stuff,,,the AR being the perfect example.  military shotguns???

Why do people want these?????   no beauty in them.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
windywales View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windywales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2020 at 09:26
Very small percentage of the populace these days has been in the service.  I think that's why so many want to play army, feel powerful, lethal  Gunmakers that can work in blued steel and walnut are in short supply, demand decent wages; robots work cheap and can turn out plastic easier than wood, so the big-money people want to promote that stuff.  Guys like you and me had our fill of military weapons, appreciate the artisan work of classic firearms, and me, the blackpowder and levergun type, I never got to be a cowboy, so that's the fantasy-land that I inhabit.  While I'm out there playing Roy Rogers, the younger folk are playing Sergeant Rock.  We're all still little boys, at heart.
windy
Whar i growed up "magnum" wuz anuther wurd fer "lousy hunter"
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2020 at 10:23
I think you got it Windy.    feel powerful.

Strangly this group seem to be from 25-45 year olds.  the club I belong to (62 yrs) has 4500 members, so lots of shooters.   Celdom do I see the stray and pray generation that can shoot sub 8 MOA.  they usually shoot 50 yds into mansized silhouetts, with no group, looks like shotgun pattern.  Recently club put up 100 yd steel coyote and  a wild boar.  Now they shoot at it with 50 rounds from sandbags or lead-sled, get 2-3 hits and shout like the TV fishermen when they catch a small bass.

Where are the rifleemen of tomorrow?

Edited by BEAR - 13 June 2020 at 10:24
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2020 at 15:41
don't know where the riflemen of tomorrow are....but today they make 1 mile kills routinely against our aggressors.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2020 at 16:45
Not our guys, them boys are Candoodlians!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2020 at 17:09
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 14:56
I like the military look. One of the best looking rifles I've ever owned was a Model 96 Sweedish Mauser. All original of course. 

The new fangled plastic guns, Not so much. 

I'll stick to blued steel and walnut. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 17:51
The militaria has never really been my thing. The old military rifles, or the new plastic stuff, I don't have any of them. Not sure why, I have a bunch of blue/walnut and stainless/plastic, but mostly all modern bolt guns. I seem to be the exception nowadays, but I am a "tweener" generation, (gen X). Those older are from the draft era, those younger are in to the plastic stuff
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 19:16
I like the lore of the M1, M14, m1 Carbine...but the ARs leave me cold.  when they came in we called them "made by Mattel"  still seems to fit.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 20:06
AR's as a type of firearm should not be maligned in a Pro 2A forum. They have earned a place in the firearms lineup of sportsmen & service agencies like police and military. And as a firearm they have evolved to a rightful place in a rifleman's battery as well as the police/military. That said I like walnut & steel in a firearm be it long gun or handgun. I have both types and each has a place and either as a practical or fun factor. Many shooters batteries range from Flintlock to AR types in long guns & Cap&ball to cartridge revolvers to semi-autos in handguns. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2020 at 22:09
I’m with you on that one. I have all from flintlock to stoner plan. All have a reason and use and yet every version was at one time cutting edge for military usage. A certain elegance was lost when a charge was loaded with a stick and a ball, then single cartridge to many followed by magazine ,...etc. A different stroke for each folk.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 06:29
Also seems that the military "look" is significantly cheaper to produce and seem to attract a premium at the LGS.  Exxtra profits drives any craze.

Molded plastic, pressed parts and design so they can be 'assembled" from parts at the kitchen tables across the country.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2020 at 20:48
Flintlock is a barrel and a 3 piece trigger and hammer, modern military platforms are surely mass produced and easily assembled but by comparison, far more complicated. A few decades from now I’m sure many wil have them and use them to great effect in hunting and sport. Those same folks wills be chatting it up about how there is no need or place for the current military’s pulse rifle or magneto rail gum electro gizmatator cannon in any hunting or sporting. It’s the nature of these things I think. I have a nice selection of military style rifles aka Mauser style bolts and lever guns. All share space peaceably next to my 10 and the fifteens. I see no jealousy amongst them. There are many I see as unattractive, aka high points, browning BLR’s and skeeterguns, WW2 axis pistols, etc. doesn’t mean they aren’t good, just not my tea to tote.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 07:26
I like military guns, got one from each american war from civil war on.  But these are real military, even replicas are cool.  BUT today so many commerical guns (that are not militart) are made to look military.  Sure it is a "want-a-bee thing.

Edited by BEAR - 18 June 2020 at 07:45
windywales View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windywales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 18:19
Bear,  there's another element here, and that's marketing--not only the advertisements, but money-handling and credit and such.  I spend a fair amount of time on the Marlin-owners forum; frequently we get new guys who want to know if the new "remlins" are worth buying.  Almost all of us oldtimers tell them to forget the new Rem product, as it's just not up to the standard available in the used ones, either cosmetically or functionally, and these guys hem and haw and then a few weeks later are back on the site with problems with their new Remlin.  I think they just don't know how to function with cash deals or dickering at LGS's, pawn shops or gun shows; they're more comfortable with "new", on their Visa card or store charge account.  I suppose there's a warranty factor, but so far sending an inferior product back is fraught with all kinds of terrors.  I'm not too unhappy with new stuff, but some of those fine old gunmaker-made beauties....well, I'm repeating myself.  Must come from being old.
windy  
Whar i growed up "magnum" wuz anuther wurd fer "lousy hunter"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic