The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Rifles and Muzzleloaders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

460 Weatherby Magnum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 460 Weatherby Magnum
    Posted: 08 June 2020 at 19:33
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.460_Weatherby_Magnum

Would this be fun or what?
Dang.
What a cannon.
I think I want one.
Bigger is better right.

ClapClap
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 07:49
In 1970 I shot one.  It was built on a 1917 Enfield, a very long action.  It didn't have a brake and I shot it off sandbags at the range.  Quite the pushback.  On my cape buffalo trip, I had ordered a win 70 in 458.  It never showed up, so I bought a m700 in 416 rem mag.  load and shoot both the 416 Rem and the 416 Weatherby.  with muzzle brakes, they are puppies.

Watching tv programs occasionally, I see lots of big stuff hit with 300 super mags, and 338 supe mags. But I don't see these things fall down in their tracks, of course it could be poor shot placement on TV.

But, I've never seen anything hit with high speed 400 grains that didn't fall down where hit. This includes 2 cape buffalo, 2 grizzlies, and two moose.    Heavy bullets do seem to work.   

What are your feelings on the killing of things with your 45-70???
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 08:18
As a kid I thought it would be cool to have a complete set of the Weatherby Magnums. 224 up to 460, you know, just cause that's what kids think about. OK, I still think about it! I never have lusted for the any big "African" bore rifle. I guess I never had a overwhelming urge to go to Africa. I am interested more in fun to shoot deer sized rounds. I like to go to my range and shoot for an afternoon and the big Weatherby's and the other big bores, don't make that a fun undertaking!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 08:50
The Weatherby Mark 5 is a great rifle.  It comes in some cartridges like 30-06 besides the hot Weatherby rounds.

The Mark 5 in 257 Weatherby mag is a beautiful rifle and fun to shoot, like a 25-06 on some steroids.  weatherby is going to drop the Mark 5, because they make more money selling the Japan made Vangard ( jjust a standard Howa, but more $$)   under their Weatherby  name...no manufacturing costs. just mark up the price and the profits roll in.  Roy is rolling over in his grave now.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 08:57
All most never go to the "Range" to shoot.
90% of my targets are running around at all different ranges...
Would I ever use a 460 for gophers? NO not only the "push back" bit at 2 or 3 bucks a shot it is just not meant for that.
Do i need an African game gun for antelope or deer , of coarse not.
The 338/378 is not NEEDED, but fun to whack a small white tail doe with, just the same. I'm not a BMG guy or care for AR's/ SK's.
 But if I could afford a collection of DBL Nitro's I'd have them and use them. I just have a soft spot for 12 gauge sized cartridges and maybe a bolt.  Big smile
When I get my first Million I'll have a 460 and even a 6x378 just because I want one.

Bear the 45/70 never get 400 gr lead bullets but I can attest to the fact a 300 gr at 2500 fps will kill most every thing I point it at but seldom falls face first in the dirt. Does not run off to die bit will run  a few yards then fall over, most the time with a very large blood trail.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 09:55
When you order that double rifle, suggest you think about hunting use.  Rather than the standard 458 win mag; I ordered my CZ Stopper double in 8x57, much more usable than a 458.  8x57 is my nice weather black bear rifle.

I shot an elk with a 286 gr 9.3x62; it stopped dropped in its tracks.  the previous day watched a guy shoot  a nice bull with a 300 mag, each shot the elk ran a little slower, but kept going up the mountain.  After 400 yards, it staggered and then rolled 1/4 mile down the mountain shattering the rack in a dozen places, bits everywhere.

For deer I think high velocity rapidly expanding kills beast.  6.5-08 seems to work.  although, might try the 9.3x62 on deer this year in PA.
RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

..... might try the 9.3x62 on deer this year in PA.

BEAR,

Got the dust off my 9.3x62 and took it deer hunting over Thanksgiving holidays last year.
That 286 NPT hammered 2 deer and a big hog - All DRT.

Only got one more hog for the season - Also DRT
My 9.3x62 only took 3 shots to sight-in, 4 more on game all DRT and
was the easiest rifle to come clean this year..
LOL - I think I will do this again next year!
Ray
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 14:28
460 W. ….When they gotta die....on the other side of the forest!

Did you get both deer and the hog in one shot? Man, that's some huntin right there!

Ol' Roy started out messing around with H&H brass case before moving into the Rigby style. Funny how the H&H is still the standard after 125 years for 30 and 375. I have used the 375 a fair amount and critters generally are DRT. Slow enough to not destroy meat by turning it into a mass of jello and fast enough to penetrate fully and carry some distance. Gains of most Weatherbys is around 200FPS on all calibers which effectively extends range on most by about 100 yards. The wildcat adoptions like the 338-378, 30-378, and the 6.5 do quite abit more.

458 win mag is a standard, necking out the H&H to .45 makes the 458 Lott. 200fps gain and relatively milder recoil from the larger case. Next jump then is to the 378 case which is bigger yet and has the shoulder radius and bells and whistles of the improved dynamics yadda yadda yadda, another 200 fps but recoil becomes a factor and so does the cost. Breaking out an archaic 505 Gibbs in a modern bolt and necking it down will gain you 1k fps over the winny...processing 3400-3600fps= ouch! An old double rifle may cost less then getting a modern Gibbs conversion made. Fellas on youtube have done it but I aint's stupid enough to lean into one.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 15:03
My 9.3x62 is a CZ 550.  and they also made it in 458 Lott, .500 Jeffery, .500 Gibbs. Rifles chambered in .505 Gibbs and .500 Jeffery include a mercury recoil reducer installed in the stock.  Way toooooo much cartridge for me.  416 and 458 are fine for elephant; more is just more, dead is dead.

Not many folks wanted the 505 so they recently dicontinued them.  they were $3200 from the factory new; can't get close to a double 458 for that price.

Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 18:45
My shoulder is sore after reading this. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2020 at 22:57
My only BIG bore rifles are in 45-70, single shot types....Trapdoor & BPCR M85.  BP cartridge types for me. Boolets range from 300gr to 530gr, cast. Only shot WT deer with them. Oh, and lots of "steel" targets too. I find BP has less felt recoil vs smokeless in those rifles. More of a push vs slam to the shoulder with BP. 
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2020 at 07:38
right on IBD, the BP pressure build up slower and doesn't get the peak of smokless.

My 58 cal BP rifle loaded to mak, pushes me like a 410.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2020 at 18:15
Maybe Hubel has something you need there D?
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2020 at 07:27
When in Africa, I had a chance to shoot a 470 Nitro Express.  Very impressive, a rimmed cartridge so it isn't good in a bolt action.  I shot a heavy double barrel.  Ruger use to make the #1 in it.

felt much less recoil that the 460 W.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 10:35
D if you forgo the new assault shotgun...you could get one of those 460 Weatherbys!

Edited by BEAR - 02 September 2020 at 11:43
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2020 at 11:36
Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic