The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Last chance bear hunt.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Last chance bear hunt.
    Posted: 03 June 2020 at 06:31
D think of this.  you are hunting in a plac where you can see a bear a mile away.  Around here in the northeast mountains, you seldom can see a bear in the woods at 50 yards.  and even though they lumber along slowly, if you see them they are just a glimps, 3 secondss.

without bait or dogs, people only see bears very infrequently and acidentally.  Most likely to see one around here in your head lights.  Most of the 2-3,000 bears killed in state are shot over illegal baits.

Edited by BEAR - 03 June 2020 at 06:59
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 04:23
Maybe all you need is a recliner, a few beers and running shoes. Seems they attract bears. Toolbelt works from my own experience as well......could just be a coinkydink but the stats show lots of folks who have bear encounters are either joggin, sittin in a recliner on the porch or out in the country havin a few. Disguise said weapon in a toolbelt and combine the rest, your odds may just go up and it will make a helluva story about how many times you had to winch a cooler and recliner above 10,000 feet in the snow and got a bear in comfortable shoes while enjoying a beverage. Best sellers list!
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 18:22
I'll be buried with a picture of a bear that got away, and an unfinished book.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 17:41
Hey d4570....how is the BOOK of your HUNTING Excapdes coming along?
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 15:46
Dead I'll be buried with a picture of a bear that got away.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 14:15
Your stories always make me feel like I'm there with you. 

I think when you do get your bear a full body mount will be in order. And maybe the addition of a den onto your house to put it in. 

You have definatly earned it. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 07:54
Well, there is always next year.

Sounds like  some of the problem could be E-10 gas and cold temp.  Can you but non-e-10 gass for the 4 wheelers.  I get it for my boat and small gas engines, more power and better storage and starting.

Do you think if you and son had popped open a few cans of sardines for lunch, the smell might have brought that bear across the canyon?

As always you has the best to read stories.  thanks for the post.
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 00:13
dale, tuff luck for sure. Persistence pays off and you have Persistence!Thumbs Up
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 15:56
I'm thinkin it's not a bear curse at all. Gods saying you need to open a repair shop. Maybe just a YouTube channel on bush fixes will get that bug off your back.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 10:21
Dang!! You'll have to do a native bear dance I guess...maybe that'll help.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 09:19
" GOD does not want me to get a bear"
Yesterday was the last day for spring bear in my areas closest to me.
Still 2 weeks on the other side of the divide.
The boy and I have been seeing bears off and o but not been able to get to them.
Yesterday we loaded both 4wheelers and left town as normal at 3:30 am. Went to the Little belts, closer to town. We knew with 90* forecast the woods would be full of people wanting to get out to the cooler mountains and be camping.
That's why we wanted to BE IN bear country before they got up and going with there toys. We drove past a very popular camp ground and as we thought it was Packed. Anyway, Many of the trails are only for 4wheelers under 50" wide, no side by sides.
We hit those. There is a "park up on "TOP" we wanted to get to and glass. Try one, we could get to about 7000 feet and the snow blocked the road.

We walked to a higher spot and glassed. JUST as we suspected, we see a bear at the far end about a mile, to far to walk, and on the OTHER side of  what looked like the Grand Canyon. We fought our way back to the 4wheelers. Down to the main road and to try the "far" end trail.
The snow was right at the 7000 foot mark it seamed.
We get to the same point on that trail and no farther. No chance to walk in from there.
There is another  trail in the middle but way more "Primitive" rocky and VERY steep. Heck lets go and try that one...
Back down and found the trail. It had a huge drift across the trail, just past the Cattle guard no new tracks In fact I'm sure we where the first since last fall. We drove over the drift but where sure as the temps. got higher we would be digging to get back out, and we where right.
A dozen trees we had to pull off and a few really spooky spots but we are just about to the park, and GOD said NO!
The Polaris I'm on just STOPPED running. Maybe a 35* incline and just enough room to keep the wheels on, and The boy is in front, with me dead on the trail down. DANG!
We checked every thing we could get to, filters, gas levels, air, nothing. We could get it to start with the choke full on but would die if you hit the gas. NICE now what.
Several big snow drifts that we had to plow through to get up was not a reassuring thought. We could see a spot about 50 yards up we hoped we could get turned around and if you REALLY puckered up your butt to hold on we hoped we could get the other wheeler past the dead one to pull the other down. Anyone got a tow rope???
NO but we did by accident have a long locking cable the boy uses to lock up trailers and such to prevent theft when they where gone, it would work. Some "Tugging"  We got it to the ,I can't say much wider, but no snow and kinda flat spot we saw.
A lot of MAN HANDLING we got them turned around and the running one in the front. By now it was a two hour project and all hope of a bear had gone by.
It was all down hill so pulling was easy ,BUT it was all down hill!
With a few miles to go we hear people coming up, DANG that sucks 4, 4wheelers on a 1, 4wheeler trail. It had been another half hour since we started down, and as we had a Mexican stand off, I thought what the heck Ill try to start it. It fired up like nothing happened.
We unhooked the cable and jammed our units up the side of the trail the best we could, The all hands on deck, and we got the other people by us and out of the way. Now we could here the buzzing on toys all over the forest, Time to go home. The last mile was easy then the drift. The other people had dug part of it out, but now it was all tore up and melting, but nothing a half hour of shoveling would not fix. Main road was busy and crap, we just put our heads down an "ran" the last 15 miles to the truck.
NO bear for D this spring season.
We did see some elk in the morning I got some pics but with my phone you have a hard time seeing that there mostly all bulls with horns starting.
We will be changing the fuel pump and filters this week...

Edited by d4570 - 31 May 2020 at 09:32
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic