The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Big Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

75 years old

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 75 years old
    Posted: 28 May 2020 at 16:54
Is 75 years old too old to do free range public land hunts for big game?

We all get old, but it does accumulate.

When do we stop?   when does the risk get too high?
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
windywales View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windywales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 19:59
Guess I better figger that out for myself; I just hit 75 last week.  I don't get as far from the roads as I useta, and in this gol-darned steep neck of the woods, I won't shoot nothin' that can get below the trail or road I'm walkin'; I pass up more shots than formerly, and carry a cellphone so I can (sometimes, and usually after hikin' a bunch) git somebody to come haul me and my 25-year-old 4runner outta the woods--but, basically, NO!  75 ain't too old!
windy
Whar i growed up "magnum" wuz anuther wurd fer "lousy hunter"
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 20:16
I know this fell named Hezzy. He's well onto the high side of 85 and still puts on 20 plus miles a day either fishin or hunting. Puts a youngin like myself to shame.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 07:02
I've moved back on things like you Windy, even pass up shots.  Been hunting turkeys, didn't get any; and first thoughts were 'well I don't have to carry it out of the woods". 

One by one my long time hunting buddies are getting out of the sport, one way or the other.  I plan on doing it as long as possible.

“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 07:28
A good buddy of mine , his dad was hunting deer in the river brakes till he was 87 he died at 89.Confused
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 14:17
I'm not even close to the numbers you guys are talking about. But my good friend was 80 and hunted everyday, was diagnosed with cancer around christmas that year, passed away the next March. He hunted EVERY SINGLE DAY of our deer season, 3rd weekend in Oct- 1st weekend Dec. 
windywales View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windywales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 11:23
Wife and I just spent the last hour and a half watching lightning strikes in our foothills and on Mt. Rainier and remembering the light show they made from our lookout tower, on our honeymoon/summer job 53 years ago next month.  Not near as scary for her, nor as busy for me, plotting the azimuths of the strikes for post-storm scrutiny; I was supposed to be "first responder" with my shovel and pulaski on any smokes I could reach with the old navy jeep they gave us.  Not too many towers are manned here or in Idaho any more; just one I know of here in our area, and I'm sure High Rock lookout is still snowbound.  At 75, I can look back at a whole lot of growin' up since then, and I suppose she has, too, but I'm awful glad we did it together, and though she never packs a deer rifle anymore, or plays bird dog when I drop one, or wades cricks with me fly-fishing, she's still my favorite companion on any adventure in the hills.  Thank you, Lord, for the ride so far!
windy  
Whar i growed up "magnum" wuz anuther wurd fer "lousy hunter"
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 15:47
Great Windy, a good match.  Always thought a good wife could skin rabbits.

Married 44 years, NY girl, doesn't like anywhere that doesn't have street lighting.  doesn't fish/hunt/camp.   only thing we found for here was walks (not hikes0 in the woods.  Now she walks with a cane...but my decision 44 years ago was a good decision.  She doesn't know how to cook or clean fish either.  But at 78 I did get her to see a griz in the wild, from the front seat of my off-road Explorer.

I asked the question as my knee gace out in Dec; been tough going.  5 1/2 months later I can walk with dull pain.  But I believe it is the start of a downhill coast.
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 21:36
I truly believe that being active keeps you going. 

I plan on doing everything I can for as long as I can. Time will make a guy slow down but as long as you can safely keep going I think you should keep going. Your body will tell you when you can't do it any longer. 

I think you are doing the right thing Bear. Not going as far into the woods, Passing on some shots that might be too much of a drag out etc, 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 23:42
My legs have not come along as well as I hoped.  Legs are important.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 00:32
...we still talking huntin or wives?
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 08:34
Bear I'm 30 years ,in my mind, but actually 10 years from that but this year my hips and extreme lower back ,I think it's from the hips,have been a problem.
Just can't walk as far and they keep me awake at night.
 SUCKS!Ouch
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 07:58
Sorry to say, but it doesn't get better.  

I think of getting old kind of like keeping an 35 year old truck running.  

Sure we don't push the truck real hard,   sure every year things fail (new fuel pump, etc),     sure the body and frame get a little rusty,   sure it doesn't start right up on cold mornings.

But we like that old truck and want to keep it out of the junk yard.        
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 12:04
I thought that was the age when trophy game just walked up to you and sacrificed themselves to your great wisdom......I have been misled!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 06:50
No jsg, your right.  that is exactly how it works....get old soon and join the fun.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 14:22
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

I think of getting old kind of like keeping an 35 year old truck running.  

Sure we don't push the truck real hard,   sure every year things fail (new fuel pump, etc),     sure the body and frame get a little rusty,   sure it doesn't start right up on cold mornings.

But we like that old truck and want to keep it out of the junk yard.        

I can relate to that. My body is starting to get a little rust around the edges. 

I'm thinking I probably should start thinking about what I put into it. A steady diet of fat, carbs, and colesterol is kinda like driving on salted roads. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 17:45
Ve git too soon olt...
Un too late schmart!
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2020 at 05:30
driving on salted roads is good advise in winter.    maybe in the winter of life.............
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2020 at 22:19
It's been a long cold winter. 

Wing master
TomP View Drop Down
.22 LongRifle
.22 LongRifle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 22:37
How about that.  Would I like to be 20 again (not if I only knew what I knew then).
If I'm still breathing, I'll turn 70 this fall.  No more 50-pound packs, but still ride a CB200 and work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic