The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Optics, Gear, Calls, Clothing and Other Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Scope cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope cleaning
    Posted: 21 April 2020 at 15:13
Got my kids and my rifles in the safe (room).  lots of scopes.  most of mine have scope covers, so lens is covered under plastic lids.  But still some have been sitting for a few years in racks, scope pointed up.  So yesterday was scope cleaning day.

Set the compressor on 15 psia and blew dust of all lenses.  then used b&L lense cloth on each...looking good.  To many to do with my Leupold brush.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 15:44
Clean a scope?
That's almost like Cleaning a gun.
I make it a practice never to do either.ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedOuchOuchOuchOuch
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 16:20
Shot an elk a few years ago.  Guide had a nice Savage 99 in 250-3000.   Brass cartridge counter model. His kid shot a decent mule deer on the trip with that rifle.

I always clean my rifles at the end of every day...even if tired and wet from rain.  as I cleaned my 9.3 Cz he asked about cleaning.  said his gun was from his dad 25 years ago.  He never cleaned it, didn't even know how.  I ran 20 patches of Hoppes thru it...still running black.  I gave him my travel cleaaning rod, patches, hoppes.  wonder if he ever did a thorough cleaning.  Nice rifle.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 17:00
I clean more often than that.
Before I test loads, or zero a new load.
I foul before a test or zero secession and, what ever season.
Then I clean at the end of a season or when the gun will go back in the safe till the next season.
Scopes are as needed.
I carry an eyeglass leans cloth with me all the time.

Edited by d4570 - 21 April 2020 at 17:01
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 22:15
After reading this I went out and looked at a couple of my scopes. Wow. I don't know how I could see anything through them. They had a LOT of dust on them. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2020 at 22:26
wing....better get after the wifey if there is dust on yer scopes. 
A few years back my wife gave me hell cuz as SHE was dusting in my gun room she cut her finger on a Bowie knife I had displayed on a shelf there. How in the hell could that have been my fault? Why did she pick it up to begin with? Needless to say she has never dusted in my area again. Am I UnHappy about that???......absolutely NOT!Smile

However, scope lenses do seem to attract dust when stored.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 06:19
Also, I did some building at the house, lots of drywall dust!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2020 at 20:51
Around here hunting season is either really muddy or really dusty. On the dusty years it seems like their must be some amount of static electricity on scope lenses. They attract dust. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 07:26
I never like to use a cloth to clean lenses with dust.  You can get a can of air, used to cleankeyboards; then spray the dust away.  If you blow it of with your mouth, you need to wait as your breath has moisture and make a dust (silica paste) which then scratches the lense.

RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 08:50
Scope cleaning???
Anyone ever heard of scope covers?!
Ray
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 10:03
Some one mentions them thar thing-a-ma-jigs

Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2020 at 19:57
Thanks Bear. I'll check them out. 

Wing master
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic