The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Handguns, Pistols and SixGuns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

What is your favorite semi auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your favorite semi auto
    Posted: 13 April 2020 at 19:32
Kinda adding to Bear's post, What is your favorite semi auto?

My 1911 is my favorite. I shoot it better than any other semi auto I have. I put a few hundred rounds through it each month. 

I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2020 at 00:40
92F and the STI 1911. Both shoot better then me.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2020 at 06:10
You know I'm a S&W guy.

Had The Smith Model 39 since 1968.  Just about perfect for an auto.  Single action and double action, decocker and safety positioned  perfectly for a right handed guy.   With a steel slide and an aluminum frame, the whole weapon points like the slide. A loaded mag brings the weight back into the grip.  sharp checkered wood grips.

After 5 deades of use, only improvement I'd have liked would be a finger grove on the front of the trigger guard, and racking grooves on the front of the slide.

Image result for s&w m39

Edited by BEAR - 14 April 2020 at 06:11
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 00:39
Bear,

Is your model 39 a 9mm?

I have been thinking about getting a 9mm for compitition. I'm not really into the plastic guns everyone else uses. A 9mm would be minor power factor, but I don't think that would be much of a handicap. The biggest thing is how many rounds the magazine holds. A 15 to 20 round magazine would be best. Do they make a large capacity magazine for a Model 39?

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 07:54
No my 9 doesn't have hi cap magaazine.  I do see some 9mm  1911 with 6" barrels...probably take high cap mags.
stinky View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 09:02
What sort of matches are you talking about?  Bang and Clang?  Bullseye/Precision Pistol?  Not likely as you said plastic guns.

CZ75 is an accurate gun, So is their SP01. 1911 is an old standy-by.  But, Browning Highpower, the S&W 5906 are all good choices.  Of these type, the 1911 and the CZs are the only ones made now.  You could find them on gunbroker.com.  But, after it is all said and done, there aren't many bargains there (it would take $50-100 to get the gun to you, added to a so-so price, makes a MSRP price...just buy it locally). 

The longer the slide, the longer the sight-radius.  If you aren't gonna carry it, then get a big gun...much easier to shoot accurately.
John 14:6
788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 09:12
My favorite is my old 1911.  I built it in the mid-80s on an Essex stainless frame.  It's been through several iterations, currently with an RIA black oxide slide and a second compensated top end for pins and plates. The compensated unit is Cerrocoated so I'm still developing a load and shooting it in.

I also have a Smith M39 variant, the smooth slide DAO 3953.  I really enjoy shooting the gun, though as it was short-lived in production, finding a decent holster has been a problematic.  I may wind up having to make a Kydex one for it myself.

Last I knew, the 39 series was a single stack so you might find an extended magazine.  For a true hi cap, you'll probably need to go with the 59 series which was a double stack.

Good luck, 788
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 21:08
Stinky,

I shoot USPSA matches. Run and Gun. 

I am the only one in our club that shoots single stack major class. I guess everyone else has figured out that changing magazines takes time. 

I do kinda like being different. 

Wing master
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2020 at 21:13
Another group does plate rack challenges once a month and bowling pin shoots between that. A .45 knocks over a bowling pin with a lot more authority than a 9mm. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 07:40
knocked over is over.......dead is dead.

9mm shoot much better than 45, less recovery time.

have you seen the new Ruger 9mm revolve that is  the rage now?

While the 1911 format isn't the best for CCW, it is very good for  run n Gun compitition; heavy long slide, single action.  a 9mm 1911 would seem to be the ticket.

Edited by BEAR - 16 April 2020 at 07:43
788Fan View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 788Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 08:19
I used to shoot plates with a 1911 in 9mm.  Even with a hot load, I found that the plate took on odd dimensions.  The 8"  target effectively became oval, about 6" from top to bottom and about 5" wide at the middle.  If you hit it too far towards the edge of the standard plate it would just turn, too close to the base and it would slide back but not fall over.  This was a "controlled" test; pistol on sand bags and a fresh coat of paint so we could see each hit.

After a season of sniping turned plates, I went back to the 45 1911.

Good luck.  788
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking 1942-2018
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 08:53
10mm or 38 super.

So you runnin and gunnin guys gunna do a share the love video? Jerry has been doin at least one a day.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 09:08
I thought you needed to be Spanish to shoot a 38 Super 1911 ?
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 09:52
Paul Harrell's goto is a 1911 38 super Colt. For comp., beauty is as beauty does. Couple of the guys at work do 3 gun. 2 use 10mm and one uses 38 super. Those race guns are long, sorta heavy though well balanced and ported heavily. Recoil is not even to a 9mm level with the 10's and the 38 super barely moves at all. But with price tags like those guys have in them, that can be expected.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2020 at 19:47
Wingmaster......I'd vote you go for a quality 1911 in 9mm if you want that caliber and learn to change mags faster. Use heavy boolets too.

As to my favorite Semi-Auto pistol..........gotta be the Colt 1911.....I shot buckets of bullets from them in the Bullseye game. Mine is a Colt Mark IV/Series 70 with some added touches. Also, shot the falling plates and other "steel" at times over the years. Mostly used a hybrid (meaning some shade tree 'smithing) Springfield Armory 1911 with a Colt bbl. for that work.  

Edited by Irish Bird Dog - 16 April 2020 at 19:58
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2020 at 00:11
I think I will stick with what I have. 

If I went with a 1911 in 9mm that would put me in single stack minor class. In that class I would be limited to 10 round magazines. In single stack major (45) I am limited to 8 round magazines. Not all that much of a difference. Shooting Major power factor hits in the "C" zone count one more point than "C" hits in minor class. 

It would be more to my advantage to score the higher points than it would to have 2 more rounds in my magazine.......Usually.......maybe. It depends on the course of fire. 

I'm defanitly not the best shooter in my club, but when a stage is what I call single stack friendly I usually score in the top few positions for that stage. I think that's because I practice magazine changes a few nights a week. The other guys practice dry firing more than magazine changes. 

'Cides that, I just go to have fun. A lot of the time I don't look at the results. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2020 at 05:38
I should have added I have a High Standard supermatic citation which I used for years target shooting.  great gun.  That and my K-22 taught me to shoot.  Of course my eyes were much better back in those days.
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2020 at 06:28
Well, I will admit, I like my wheelguns more than the semi-autos. I have Glocks mostly, 19, 20, 43, 48. I am of the Glock generation. I have only shot 1 1911 in my life, it was a Colt Delta Elite 10mm a friend of mine had. I like the G48 quite a bit, but my favorite is my WW2 Nazi Stamped Walther PP in 32A. I have wanted one forever and happened upon this one in the shop 3mi from my house. I haven't had it real long, but it is so cool. I got rid of the Nazi P38 I had because I was afraid to shoot it. But the P38 didn't have the mojo the PP does, something about them I just love.

Edited by MapleHill - 18 April 2020 at 06:29
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2020 at 07:16
P38 has been a favorrite of mine.  My S&W M39 is a copy.

Even in wheelguns there are two distinct 'feeling'  western style ssingle action and the more refined SA/DA pop-out cylinder models.   Like them both, althought they 'feel' very different in my hands.
MapleHill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2020 at 07:43
Originally posted by BEAR BEAR wrote:

P38 has been a favorrite of mine.  My S&W M39 is a copy.

Even in wheelguns there are two distinct 'feeling'  western style ssingle action and the more refined SA/DA pop-out cylinder models.   Like them both, althought they 'feel' very different in my hands.

You are correct Bear. I may get crucified here, but I was never a huge fan of 1911s or SA revolvers. I think it is a generational thing. Many guys of the "draft" era used the 1911 in the service and that is what they were used to. The first semi auto pistol I ever shot was the first gen Glock 17. My Dad was an armed security guard at a Nuclear plant and his best friend was the firearms and weapons instructor there at the time. They were in the process of phasing out the old Mdl 10 revolvers and going to semi pistols. The Glock rep sent him home with 2 model 17s and a couple cases of ammo and told him to try to get them to jam. Well there were 6 of us kids that proceeded to dispose of 2 cases of ammo over the weekend and we failed to get one to jam. No cleaning, just filling magazines and pulling triggers. Our thumbs were raw, but man we had a blast. That was the beginning of it for me. I know the plastic pistols all look the same, no mojo, no soul, but man they just work. My Dad has a 5906 S&W and that thing is a club. You can't shoot 100rds thru that without a stove pipe. The older 2digit model were much more reliable.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic