The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

mouth diaphragm calls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mouth diaphragm calls
    Posted: 05 April 2020 at 15:45
I just ordered some mouth diaphragm calls.
I have never used a diaphragm call of any kind.
Normally don't use any kind of mouth call.
It has been such a tough haul calling, I needed to change things up.
I picked all Johnny Stuart calls, baby calls, coyote sounds and a bob cat call,ditch tiger sound no Idea what that one will sound like.
It'l will be a learning proposition I'm sure.
I'm hoping to add them to my favorite Fox pro sounds in a stand.
The next trip out after our, pandemic Quarantine, Isolation and Social Distancing thing, with the boy, I want to try both Fox Pro's with different sounds going.Shocked

Edited by d4570 - 05 April 2020 at 15:46
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 18:12
Mouth diaphram turkey calls are VERY here in Penns' woods.  Quaker Boy and Penns woods brands.

used them for years, a little difficult to get the hang of it.  some tender pert in mouth (top).

Would practice for an hour each morning driving to work and another driving home; after 35 years I now just use my voice.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 18:42
I can see why I have herd your voice....LOLLOLLOLLOL
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 10:11
Mouth diaphragm calls brings up a memory....way back as a teenager the common call brand was "Weems Wild Calls". Still have one of those (wood) with the original yellow (cardboard) box it came in. Was/is supposed to imitate the scream of a dying rabbit IF it was used correctly. Don't recall ever getting any fox or 'yotes to come to it tho. 

WeemsWildCall.jpeg
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
lizard View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 10:22
Gary,
   I too have one of those calls.  Bought mine from Rocky Teller's Sport shop in Duluth.  Only once did I ever call a fox in, and it was in the area of where we built a fort West of my house about 1/3  mile where the power lines were in that ravine.  We were probably about 11-13 years old then.  You might remember?
   Never did get the fox, as he saw me before I was ready. 
Trigger Control is knowing when not to pull it.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 10:29
Olt and Burham were popular, still use my Olt (Perkin Illonois).  The drying rabbit worked when I bought it in the late '50s (Sears store), but 'over use' has made it a turn-off for most things.

Did bring in a lot of deer with the rabbit call, sounds like a fawn in distress.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 13:52
OK I have had them for a wail now.
Still can't make much noise with them.
 When I do they vibrate my tongue to the point it's like putting a 24 volt battery against it. I can't do it.
What am I doing wrong ?

BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 15:39
Used them for 40 years.

It does take some learning.  Sort of cup it up against the roof of your mouth.  lightly hold them up there with your tongue.  Use to practice on the way driving  to work.  Some calls are a little large and some trimming with sissors.

I used   Quaker Boy and  Penns Woods calls.

Edited by BEAR - 14 May 2020 at 15:42
“ The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.”
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2020 at 13:37
yup...there is a learning curve with the mouth diaphragm calls. Wink
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic