The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

243 for PDs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 243 for PDs
    Posted: 05 April 2020 at 12:30
wondering as to bullet weight and brand for using the 243 for PDs.  Might load up a hundred if I can then get components.

what bullet do you use?
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 14:23
85 Speer for deer.
70 Speer for coyotes
Varget I think. 
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 18:14
I stock varget.  but will need to get a local range open to sight in.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 18:43
We use a LOT of varget.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 01:06
I use 100 grain Sierra Pro Hunters. Probably kinda heavy for prairie dogs but they are lights out accurate in my rifle. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 07:59
The 100s do shoot well in 243.

Years ago (50+) the 243 was my do it all; loading 60 to 105 grain bullets.  Then other rifle friends replaced my favorite.  might go back.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 23:31
I know a few people that use a .243 for elk. If it will kill anything from a prairie dog to an elk I think it would be a pretty good all around gun. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2020 at 08:36
Sort of think the 308/30-06 as minimum for Elk.  Bad enough gettint them out if they fall right when hit.  give them some 200-300 yards and they will find a ravine to drop into (extraction!)
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2020 at 18:29
I agree Bear. 

They don't run to to an easier place and they can be really heavy even just to roll over. 

Wing master
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2020 at 20:25
seems like the 7mm08, 7mm Mauser etc  & 6.5's are good elk cartridges too.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2020 at 08:49
6.5 and 7mms are ok but not what I want IF I was buying an elk gun.  7 mag with 150 grains is another case.

Roll overs...can be even tougher with a large bull moose,  good news with both elk and moose.  they often fall on a slope...35% rolled already.  My moose was already on his side on a hillside.

Edited by BEAR - 09 April 2020 at 08:51
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2020 at 21:22
I wouldn't feel undergunned with a 6.5 or any 7mm. 

I think bullet weight has something to do with it. I have shot a lot of elk with a 130 grain .270. I shot my elk this year with a 130 grain 6.5. It seemed to have about the same effect. 

Wing master
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2020 at 22:59
Wing are you saying "dead is dead".Confused
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2020 at 13:38
Yes, pretty much. I don't think the elk cared what hit them. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2020 at 02:09
I like one bullet that kills  AND anchors right there. 

Killed one deer with a heaart shot arrow, that ran 100 yards and death jumped into a tree.  took two of us to get it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic