The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FireArms, et cetera > Metallic Cartridge Handloading and Bullet Casting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

Best bullet design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best bullet design
    Posted: 03 April 2020 at 08:39
seems there are about 20 different designs for a bullet for deer sized game.  sure any bullet properly placed will wack a deer.

But we all do need to make a decision as to what comes our the barrel of our rifle.

What specific bullet design do you think is best for deer/antelope????

For whitetail I like flat nosed bullets.
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 17:54
Well, years back it was claimed more deer fell to the M94 Winchester than any other rifle and the 94 usually used a 170gr FN boolet. I'd guess the most common boolet for deer would be a soft nose spire point of some kind like in Winchester, Remington, Federal standard type found in any rural gas station or grocery or hardware store ammo supply for .308/30-06 type ammo. Most likely to two most common calibers for deer at least in eastern 1/2 of the US of A.
Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 18:24
I bet a 308,30-06, and maybe 30/30 out here,
 and yes some kind of soft tipped bullet.
I think Bear asked for the BEST, not most common or most popular.
BEST is like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 19:01
 "is in the eye of the beholder."   that is what I was looking for.  what do you think is beauty???
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 20:14
Dang man I'm a full blown Barnes guy.

That said some guns will not shoot them.
22 rim fire and 17,s seam not to like all copper or copper dust bullets for what ever reason.Cry

Edited by d4570 - 03 April 2020 at 20:14
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
Irish Bird Dog View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby
Too many

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish Bird Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 20:19
yup he said BEST. Very subjective question. I don't think there really is any ONE Best Boolet for deer.

Irish Bird Dog

NRA Life/Endowment

2nd Amendment Supporter
Wing master View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2020 at 21:43
I have used a lead tipped spire point bullet to kill a whole lot of deer. I think that would be number 2. 

The last 2 years I have used a plastic tipped bullet. I guess it would be a spire point??? I think I like them a little better. The thing I noticed was the exit wound was a lot smaller. 

That makes me think that they expand but didn't "blow up." And probably penetrate more. Their is less meat damage too. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2020 at 04:37
I'll go with the one that does the job for the task at hand. Too many variables to claim just one in general. Ranges vary, speeds vary, accuracy from one to the next. Up close a foster slug may be the best for some situations or even a pistol caliber with a softpoint or cast SWC. Soft point or RN work good at close to medium ranges as long as you put the shot where it should be. For some a good jacketed bonded bullet or partition would be better. For some in places where it's legal, an FMJ or MK may fill the niche.

Over 4 decades in the woods I've used them all. The one that works as it needs to for the game and range at hand is the one you need to use. A deer that drops on the spot from a greenbox 170 gr. softpoint doesn't know the difference from one dropped with an expensive super homalgameted ultra quadra wiggled and laser engraved diamond encrusted jobby that costs more then my first car.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2020 at 21:47
I know Partitions have a big following but I haven't had a good expierence with them. 

I loaded some for my .270. They were accurate enough for maybe 200 yard deer but not at all what I would call accurate. 

I shot a Mule deer with one at about 100 yards and it dropped right where it stood. I thought that was awesome. When I got to the deer it had a .270 sized hole for an entrance wound and about a 2 inch exit wound hole. 

After getting it skinned I could tell that basically a whole front shoulder worth of meat was like jello. 

I think the base section probably held up pretty well. I also think the front section came apart (like it's supposed to) and ruined a lot of meat. 

Wing master
I have always considered myself to be quite the bullshitter, But ocasionally it is nice to sit back and listen to a true professional......So, Carry on.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2020 at 21:50
Perfect in my mind.
 I like to smash the on side shoulder then crush the off side.
But I'm not a meat hunter, I give it all away.Clap
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 07:49
The partition was made specifically for 270 type rifles.

yep that kill was what it does on deer; and what most people want.  Down with any reasonable hit.

to me it is a compromise bullet.  Loses weight so limited penetration compared to a standard jacketed bullet.  blows up at entrance.   Core-loktd are better.
Administrator
Administrator
AKA StraightShooter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wing master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 01:11
I'm a meat hunter. They did a good job at killing, but I agree with Bear. I prefer corelokt or some kind of bonded bullet. 

I have been thinking about trying Barnes. I have heard several people say that they retain most of their weight. They are more expensive than I am used to. 

Wing master
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 07:56
Barnes all copper do penetrat , out the far side.  But on deer sized game they didn't seem to impart its energy in the deer.  Barnes has been trying to make them with petals to help.  primarily a Californis 'no lead' states.

Remember thet do leave a significant copper ressidue in your barrel.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 13:59
I have never had one go all the way through on a deer.
I have found MANY just under the skin on the off side.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 14:17
in and out the same size hole for me on deer.  also shot thru a few caribou before I chaanged.

what cartridge were you using...don't say  8 rem mag!
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 14:22
6mm rem,243,7mm mag,45/70, 8mm RM but I have not shot a deer with it yet. The D-I-L uses them in her 257 WB and 338/378 WB but she has had some pass through's we use them on others but there not "Deer" guns.
MapleHill View Drop Down
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MapleHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 18:44
The best bullet is the one thru the vitals! Seriously though, my favorite for deer are the Sierra Game Kings and Prohunter, next are the Hornady Interlocks. I have taken deer with 243, 257, 284, 308, 358 and 458 dia bullets of the aforementioned makes. Never lost a deer (knock on wood) but I am pretty particular with shot placement and very very few running shots. I would rather not get one than chance wounding a running deer with a hail mary. Shots range from 15yds to nearly 260yds and velocities from 2000fps (450 Marlin) to 3100fps (25-06). There are many other good ones I'm sure, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have never ever even shot a barnes bullet, nothing against them at all, just never saw the need to change what I'm doing. I have shot quite a few Speers and probably taken deer with one, along with Nosler BT, Hornady SST, Rem Cor-Lokt and Win Power Points, but not very many. Put it where it belongs, and the critter will die.
RaySendero View Drop Down
.30/06 SpringField
.30/06 SpringField

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaySendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 20:31
Originally posted by MapleHill MapleHill wrote:

The best bullet is the one thru the vitals! ..... Put it where it belongs, and the critter will die.

This has been my experience, too.  Deer are not that hard to kill.
Most any good bullet will do.  Best ain't any deader than good.
So BEST to me is the one that the rifle shoots most accurately!

Edited by RaySendero - 06 April 2020 at 20:36
Ray
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic