The BaitShop Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting > Small Game
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the BaitShop Boyz!

shot placement for Coyotes??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shot placement for Coyotes??
    Posted: 24 March 2020 at 12:19
What is the best place to shot a coyote???

heart lungs like a deer?
jsgbearpaws1 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 12:33
Wife just told me..."outside" Sage wisdom with this one.

The hide guys have thoughts on this for sure but just to anchor/kill one, boiler room ends all discussion on any critter.
...oh yeah! thats gonna hurt!
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 13:42
could bullet design mean more than shot placement???
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 13:57
YES and no.
If I hit anyplace in the front half of the coyote it's good.
To save fur a shattering bullet or a solid behind the shoulder.
To anchor a coyote, there incredibly tough cridder, If I don't need fur I like to hit them square in the shoulder But a disintegrating bullet may just splash on the out side. I use a 52 Berger in the 22/250 and a 55 ballistic tip in the 6.
 I feel if I hit the coyote other then in the tail I'll get him.
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
stinky View Drop Down
.243 Winchester
.243 Winchester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 08:47
It depends...I used to know a guy.  Very nice he was.  His brother, lived 11m away on the edge of a berg of about 200 people.

I bought a 6" 586 from the brother.  The Yotes ate his favorite cat...GAME-ON!!!  He would shoot em w/a .22 in the gut.  That way they haul themselves off and the word gets out to stay the hell away from the Scnell place.

BTW, this was over 20 years ago....SOL has done passed and I suspect that he has passed.

My friend...when they took his Jeep keys away and stopped letting him go out in the desert.  He did what Hemingway did.

John 14:6
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2020 at 09:03
Now this is second/third hand info and can't be proven and no names are known. Is that good enough of a disclaimer?

BUT I have heard of claims that some unknown rancher/farmers do the same thing stinky said only with maybe something like Grizzly bear and wolf and neighbors dogs.

Probably just a old wives tail ShockedShockedShocked
Remember: Four boxes keep us free ,the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, AND the cartridge box
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 08:11
I printed off a full sized coyote poster for a target.
It's printed with 14 printer paper pages and I'll staple and clear tape it to a piece of cardboard. It is a picture of a coyote 1/4ing towards the shooter, they mostly never stop at a full broad side stance.
I'm going out today to my shooting spot and measure 300,400, and 500 yards and put markers ,piles of native rocks so most people will not know there meaning. Most my shooting spots we have 50/100/200 and where it fits 300 yards.
Over that distance it takes a week to walk out to mark the targets.
I'm going to try and do this as close to the road as I can so I can drive out close to the target and walk TO the target, hoping under 100 yards from the road.
I'll take some pics if I can. At 500 yards a coyote is very small.

Edited by d4570 - 27 March 2020 at 08:14
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 09:58
Neighboring farmer has shot 93 deer this winter while they feed in his fields.  All gut shot for the same reason, says he doesn't want to bury them.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 10:58
Neighbors did the same thing about 20 some years ago. They kept calling Gish and Mame for crop damage and were refused any help. Their response to it was to do this til they had to address the situation. Once it was confirmed, a box of tags and a clipboard was dropped off to them of those who would gladly take the deer for the meat. Deal was, they would harvest the animals ethically, field dress, and then tag and call in accordance to tag number on the sheet, those who would receive the animal. 204 tags filled from one field in one week. Was the advent of green tags. Probably closer to 30 years ago now that I think about it. They just wish the same would be done with all the bears. They are much more destructive.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 11:56
Bears!   call D   da bear killer.
d4570 View Drop Down
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 12:52
Big smile
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2020 at 15:31
I've thrown that out there in the past. My door is open to any of you, especially kingpins avatar, to swing in , have a shot and a beer, and bear when the season is on. Offer still stands.
.416 Rigby
.416 Rigby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsgbearpaws1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 01:50
So....had to make a store run and grab some stuff from the wifes office. Way back just before dusk I came down to the edge of the neighbors field and about 500 yards out at the other end....YOTE'!!!! As I drove closer ….and closer....and then at about 75 yards, the wife and girls saw it too. I actually had to stop and let them look down my hand as it stood sideways watching us. Then it turned and trotted off. I'm thinking I need a beater truck rifle for such occasions and also, the women in my life have absolutely no sense of presence or place in their surroundings.
BEAR View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 07:35
rule #1....Don't let them see the truck!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic